Re purpose SB

Started by JHTR20, May 15, 2020, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHTR20

With being in seclusion now for 9 weeks and having built three new rods I got thinking about tackle that has been on the shelf far too long.  I recently put together a some 1/2 ounce chatter/blade baits and had some success with them.  I got thinking about a lighter version  and decided to re purpose a spinnerbait I had lying in a box.  Snipped the wire at the bend and went to work with my round pliers.  Going to give it a try tomorrow and yes I know I need to add the snap.

bigjim5589

That should work!  :-*  Let us know how you do with it!  ~gf
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bassinkorea

Looking forward to seeing how it works. I know you said "lighter", but what was the original weight of the spinnerbait? I guess 3/8oz?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

JHTR20

Well it did catch fish but only a rat.  It was a tough day and the bite was really slow.  I fished from 7 till 2 and only had 6, 2 of which were keepers.  I talked to two other guys and they were having the same sort of day I was.

The spinnerbait started life as a 3/8, I've only had chatterbaits in 1/2.  I've considered expanding to other weights and got the re-purpose idea poking around my boxes of tackle.

Bassinkorea

How was the overall action, was it similar to that of a 1/2oz chatterbait?

I assume you added the snap to the blade before you used it   ~shade
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

bigjim5589

I know of a lot of guys who are making that type of bladed swim jig, and one of the problems is getting suitable hooks. The hook eye has to be large enough to accommodate the blade or split rings, and that type of hook is usually a custom run, which is expensive to have made. Or, if the hook eye is large enough, but not really custom, it limits the split ring sizes that can be used, so a potential weak point.

So, they're either heating hooks & opening the eyes, which results in a lot of broken or weakened hooks, or they're using some type of wire form, and a straight shank hook like would be used in a spinnerbait.

IMO, the wire form and spinnerbait hooks make a lot of sense, because hooks and wire are readily available and certainly can work. I've experimented with that method, and different head shapes, but have not been real satisfied with any of the results, yet.

JHTR20, at least you did catch some fish on your repurposed lure. No lure will always catch them, or always the big one's. That's why we have so many different types!  lo

I see nothing wrong with trying different weights either. Some places I've fished I often went to ultralight size lures, even spinnerbaits down to 1/8 & 1/16 oz and did very well, so a time and place for them all. I use more lures in the 3/8 & 1/2 oz. sizes now than I used to, but am now fishing a different type of water.

This post has me thinking now and that's dangerous!  ::)  I make a lot of different types of lures, and see that I need to do more experimenting with this wire idea!   :-*

Thanks for posting this and please keep us updated!  ;D

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.