Prop baits? Can't have just one.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, March 25, 2023, 11:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Prop baits. Who fishes with them? Which brands do you like the most?

I love prop baits. Especially for peacock bass and large mouth in the Everglades. I love my hb frog fishing, but one of the other best top water lures out there is the prop bait.

hondo2doc

I do love me some prop baits too. Devil horse, torpedo, an oldie bang-o-lure, mirror lure and I include buzz baits too. Great topic.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

I have a few and not sure if you consider a Whopper Plopper a prop bait. But that would be the one I use most. Never were popular up North so have not grown on me down here. Probably should.
Molon Labe

acesover

Yo Zuri, Devils Horse, and Tiny Torpedos work for me

Smallie_Stalker

I use them regularly. Have a bunch of different ones and not sure I could pick a favorite.

Ones I tie on the most - Heddon Tiny Torpedo, the old wooden Nip-I-Didee, Devil's Horse (prefer the old wooden ones here too).

Also really like the Rapala Skitter Prop, Lucky Craft Kelly J prop bait and Academy makes an excellent dual prop bait with a feathered rear teeble that is really nice for short money.

If I were fishing for peas the old Wood Chopper would be my first pick.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on March 26, 2023, 08:14:11 AM
I have a few and not sure if you consider a Whopper Plopper a prop bait. But that would be the one I use most. Never were popular up North so have not grown on me down here. Probably should.

This is a good point, are whopper ploppers considered a prop bait?  :-\ lo

Capt. BassinLou

When it comes to prop baits I throw various brands. I have a favorite brand, but I will not be discussing yet. I have a special guide trip coming up, and that particular prop bait will be the main lure of this outing.  ~shhh  ;)

Here's a follow up question for those of you who throw various prop baits. Why do you throw the ones you mentioned?  Is it because of their profile? The sound the prop makes? etc,,,,

For me its a couple reasons. Lure profile, and the zip sound, (some props sound different).

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on March 27, 2023, 03:33:35 PM
When it comes to prop baits I throw various brands. I have a favorite brand, but I will not be discussing yet. I have a special guide trip coming up, and that particular prop bait will be the main lure of this outing.  ~shhh  ;)

Here's a follow up question for those of you who throw various prop baits. Why do you throw the ones you mentioned?  Is it because of their profile? The sound the prop makes? etc,,,,

For me its a couple reasons. Lure profile, and the zip sound, (some props sound different).
For me lure profile is the main factor in my choice. If you look at the ones I listed, especially the 3 I tie on most they are all very different from each other.

Sound is less of a concern for me (but still important) because props can be "tuned" to sound different, spit more or less water and determine forward movement.

As always experimentation is the key.

bigjim5589

Here you go Smallie!  :)

I've used those big wood prop lures for Stripers. Not many folks do I don't think, but they certainly will produce some fish.

Lou, I think prop lures are just another "something different", in sound, action & commotion. All of which can be something different too as each one causes a different commotion compared to each other and other lure types. Like comparing the difference between a Sammy & a Spook, both will walk, but some difference and sometimes the bass want one or the other.

I don't think you can ever have too many types of lures with different aspects to them. The problem of course, is when to choose them.  lo

I tossed some lures yesterday afternoon for about 1 1/2 hours and one lure was a double, counter rotating blade buzzbait with a double tail grub on it. I have several single blade buzzbaits, and can tell there's a difference between them. I don't know why a bass reacts to them like they will sometimes, but as long as they do, I'll keep using them all.

Unfortunately, I got skunked too, didn't matter what I was tossing.  ???
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

acesover

fishingram24

Tiny Torpedo, clear, and Crazy Shad and Whopper Plopper are the ones I use most, my 1 remaining Devil Horse, probably 40 years old at least, is hanging up in my shop for safe keeping. 
Retired and loving every minute of it!

FlatsNBay

One of my favorite prop baits is a Devil's Horse. I usually change the hooks out.

Pictured is a secret Florida color called Spotted Ape. It's only available during special color runs or at select Florida tackle shops.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Pop Rs and Torpedos do it for me.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Hobious

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Hobious on April 05, 2023, 11:58:39 AM
topwater or spybaits?
Great question! I never even thought to include spybaits as a type of prop bait.

If we are including them then my favorites are Duo Realis. Close seconds are the Lucky Craft Screw Pointers and the Berkley Spy Spinbait.