G Loomis 843MBR

Started by LgMouthGambler, July 17, 2017, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

I broke. I ordered one for a helluva deal. Should be here by the end of the week. I was gonna wait, but then decided why not. If Rich tells me its a great rod, then Im gonna take his word for it. Lets see how it feels with the Antares.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

flowerjohn

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 17, 2017, 03:38:36 PM
I broke. I ordered one for a helluva deal. Should be here by the end of the week. I was gonna wait, but then decided why not. If Rich tells me its a great rod, then Im gonna take his word for it. Lets see how it feels with the Antares.

I think you're gonna really like that one!!

Message sent via the FC Network.

rockchalk06

For what we both paid, we got steals on it. I'm very happy with mine.

cortman

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

earldogg

Not much that stick can't do, a true all purpose stick.

cortman

Love my only Loomis stick, the GLX 842 MBR. The MBR tapers are really nice, a bit more multipurpose than the JWR to my knowledge.

rockchalk06

Quote from: cortman on July 17, 2017, 09:34:00 PM
Love my only Loomis stick, the GLX 842 MBR. The MBR tapers are really nice, a bit more multipurpose than the JWR to my knowledge.

Indeed. I got the JWR 852 and while I love it's responsiveness and sensitivity, I think for what I do, the MBR may have been the better choice. Loomis did their homework on the 2016 GLX.

Matt,

I really think you'll like that MBR. Mine feels great with light Texas Rigs.

loomisguy

The 843 is a great all around stick. It along with the Denali N2 843 are among my favorite spinnerbait rods.
Also fishes a squarebill and a spook well.

FISH520

Should be interesting to see if Matt get entangled in the Loomis web ;D.

LgMouthGambler

Hows that for service! The rod just showed up at my shop today. 2 days later! Got to love them boys at The Tackle Trap.  ~c~

LgMouthGambler

Sealed the cork last night. Took it out for a bit this morning. First impression, not blown away. Its a nice rod, but I wouldnt put the performance ahead of the Dobyns Coalition I sold for it. Its a nice rod no doubt, but Im gonna have to get more time on it to make a better observation.

Down4ttown

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 20, 2017, 06:57:56 AM
Sealed the cork last night. Took it out for a bit this morning. First impression, not blown away. Its a nice rod, but I wouldnt put the performance ahead of the Dobyns Coalition I sold for it. Its a nice rod no doubt, but Im gonna have to get more time on it to make a better observation.
All my reviews and feedback is that you either love the E6X or it feels dead with little feedback while fishing. I was able to fish someone's on a Carolina rig. Not sure of the model but I did not really take to it. Great looking rod, seemed ok for the money, but it was not for me. Fish it a little with different setups and see because some people swear by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 20, 2017, 10:16:15 AM
All my reviews and feedback is that you either love the E6X or it feels dead with little feedback while fishing. I was able to fish someone's on a Carolina rig. Not sure of the model but I did not really take to it. Great looking rod, seemed ok for the money, but it was not for me. Fish it a little with different setups and see because some people swear by them

It is a love or hate rod. If all you've been fishing with is Lightning rods or Veritas Rods, it's a major jump. If you have customs off PB Blanks and other high end rods, it leaves a lacking taste in your mouth.

I got mine for around 55 dollars out of pocket. Even for what he paid for it, I think it's a good deal. I didn't get the best sensitivity out of it with mono,  but when I put some 30# J-Braid with the MGL, it was a different stick. I honestly can't tell a difference in my 733 Champion and my 853 MBR when dragging a jig

Down4ttown

Damn for 55 dollars I can learn to like it.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 20, 2017, 10:58:18 AM
Damn for 55 dollars I can learn to like it.

I'm a big fan of their 3 power MBR rods. AML has the NRX853 MBR on sale for 375 new. I'm trying to find a reason to put on my CC.

Incarcerated Otter

Question for those that have both the MBR and JWR. How would you describe the difference between the 2 ? I have a 2016 GLX 802C JWR and want to either get another JWR or MBR. Where I fish, medium power rods are more than enough power unless I'm throwing frogs in pads. I mostly fish small crankbaits and soft plastics.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Incarcerated Otter on July 22, 2017, 06:38:54 PM
Question for those that have both the MBR and JWR. How would you describe the difference between the 2 ? I have a 2016 GLX 802C JWR and want to either get another JWR or MBR. Where I fish, medium power rods are more than enough power unless I'm throwing frogs in pads. I mostly fish small crankbaits and soft plastics.

The JWR's are faster actions. Load faster and a little more responsive on bottom baits and in deep water. MBR's are classic slower actions.

I have the same rod you do but in an 852 and use it for anything around 1/4 oz etc. I love it. For treble hooked baits, I'd rather have a slowe action like the MBR. The GLX 843 MBR would be my recommendation if you wanted to stick with the GLX line.

Incarcerated Otter

Quote from: rockchalk06 on July 22, 2017, 10:00:56 PM
The JWR's are faster actions. Load faster and a little more responsive on bottom baits and in deep water. MBR's are classic slower actions.

I have the same rod you do but in an 852 and use it for anything around 1/4 oz etc. I love it. For treble hooked baits, I'd rather have a slowe action like the MBR. The GLX 843 MBR would be my recommendation if you wanted to stick with the GLX line.

Great thanks for the help. I do like the JWR a lot. Do you feel the MBR would also be good for soft plastics ? Mostly weightless and sometimes 1/16-1/8 oz weights.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Incarcerated Otter on July 23, 2017, 09:58:17 AM
Great thanks for the help. I do like the JWR a lot. Do you feel the MBR would also be good for soft plastics ? Mostly weightless and sometimes 1/16-1/8 oz weights.

I do. I have the E6X MBR 843 for that.

Incarcerated Otter

Quote from: rockchalk06 on July 23, 2017, 10:00:48 AM
I do. I have the E6X MBR 853 for that.

Great sounds good. My only decision now is to either get the E6X or save up for another GLX

rockchalk06

Quote from: Incarcerated Otter on July 23, 2017, 10:07:30 AM
Great sounds good. My only decision now is to either get the E6X or save up for another GLX

If you have the coin, get the GLX. Look for a used model first. I got my 852 JWR like new for 290 shipped. The 2016 GLX is a whole different animal. I'd take it over an NRX any day.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with my E6X though.

Incarcerated Otter

Good to know about the E6X. I read a lot of mixed reviews on them.

LgMouthGambler

Got to use the rod for a bit today. Did get to hook up with a fish, but was a mudfish. Its ok though, cause i got to see what the rod can do. Feel is pretty average. I wouldnt put this rod at the top of my list for sensitivity in its price point. I think my Crucial rod blows the EX6 away in that for less money. I will say the overall action is pretty nice. Still more time needed with it.
I mounted the Curado50E on the rod instead to fish with heavier soft plastics.

<")))>{