What Style Hooks do you use for Soft Plastic Baits

Started by Donald Garner, February 08, 2024, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

Good afternoon to everyone,

What style hooks do you use when fishing with Soft Plastics?  There are many different Brands & Styles.  Below are the Style Hooks I use mostly here in Central Texas when I fish with Soft Plastics. 

Note: Extra Wide Gap Hooks > EWG < can be use on just about every soft plastic bait you throw.  Most of the time I Texas Rig my baits.  This style of hook can be use for fishing stick baits, flukes, tube baits, small swim baits and Ribbit Frog Baits also.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

I use straight shank hooks for everything except thick body swimbaits where I use a weighted EWG, and 3 inch Sluggos where I use the ultra light wire offset round bend hooks that come with them.

As for brands, I have hooks from all the major brands and even some lesser known names, but whenever possible my personal preference is Mustad.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Larry Francis

I use lots of straight shank hooks myself. Even thicker baits like Senco's (stick baits). Worms are straight shank and the thickness and purpose determine if it is light wire or a flippin hook. I use an offset worm hook for the speedworm style baits. and Extra wide gap for flukes and big swimbaits. Smaller swimbaits I will use a straight shank as well. I also live in Florida where I am almost always in some kind of thick grass.
Molon Labe

coldfront

mosquito/octopus hooks for the open point drop shot work
smaller, light wire EWG for texposed drop shots.

EWG for all 'naked hook' soft plastics.

underspin, belly weights for swimbaits...  although there are times I love an unweighted keitech fat impact on a plain EWG...
have to get the hook size right so it can swing... too long and it impedes the tail wag...

Hobious

I am moving to Owner Covershots hooks for everthing.

if I need an EWG, (like on a CoverScat bait) it is the Owner Haymaker or Ryugi Infini.  both hooks are DIFFICULT to source these days.

The Rooster

Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG (style 2 in the pic above) for nearly everything. I also have 1/0 and 5/0 for use as needed. I may be wrong but I skip sizes 2/0 and 4/0 because the differences between hooks just one size apart seems minimal enough to me not to make a difference.

Rusty63

I have used almost every brand of hook made. Back years ago you might remember or have used the Tru-Turn hook. But moving decades forward to now I am using just a few styles of hooks.

Drop shot owner mosquito hooks are preferred.

Wacky rig and Neko rigs I am using the Gamakatsu G finesse stinger hook 1/0

Most worms under 10 inches I have been using a Owner Offset shank wide gap worm hook 3/0 is most common size.

Heavy cover and straight shank worm hooks are Gamakatsu G-finesse heavy cover and light worm hooks 3/0 and 5/0

Ewgs are what I use most now the Vmc std ewg 3/0-5/0 sizes or the owner ewg plus 3/0 -5/0 sizes.

As I age and my physical condition worsens I find my hook set changes also.The ewg hooks seem to work with a more sweeping hook set. That down deep Brooklyn hookset seems to not be so deep these days.

skidemn

Quote from: Hobious on February 12, 2024, 11:53:10 AMI am moving to Owner Covershots hooks for everthing.

if I need an EWG, (like on a CoverScat bait) it is the Owner Haymaker or Ryugi Infini.  both hooks are DIFFICULT to source these days.
The Ryugi Infini hooks are in stock at Tackle Warehouse, and were in stock at The Hook Up Tackle. I recently began using them for my creature baits and really like them.

I prefer the straight shank Rebarb hooks from Roboworm for my dropshot rigs, as the light wire penetrates faster and seems to stick fish better than other hooks, when fished on lighter tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobious

Quote from: skidemn on February 26, 2024, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: Hobious on February 12, 2024, 11:53:10 AMI am moving to Owner Covershots hooks for everthing.

The Ryugi Infini hooks are in stock at Tackle Warehouse, and were in stock at The Hook Up Tackle. I recently began using them for my creature baits and really like them.

I prefer the straight shank Rebarb hooks from Roboworm for my dropshot rigs, as the light wire penetrates faster and seems to stick fish better than other hooks, when fished on lighter tackle.

They were out again. The Hookup.

I am going to try these. The Limit. You cannot view this attachment.

fishingram24

Gamakatsu EWG and G Finesse Hybrid in various sizes for most T rigged plastics, Lunker City texposer for flukes, round bend for weightless Zoom Trick worms. Got a box full of hooks in various shapes and sizes but those are my go to hooks. Never used straight shanks  much.
Retired and loving every minute of it!

skidemn

Quote from: Hobious on February 28, 2024, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: skidemn on February 26, 2024, 10:23:32 AM

Let me know how those work out. I really like the slick coating on the Ryugi and other Japanese hooks that help with better worm and fish penetration.

I just ordered the VMC and Owner Haymaker hooks to try. Both of these hooks should see a big improvement in hooksets since the points ride above the line tie shank as seen below:

Hobious

Quote from: skidemn on March 04, 2024, 12:30:04 PMI am moving to Owner Covershots hooks for everthing.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Let me know how those work out. I really like the slick coating on the Ryugi and other Japanese hooks that help with better worm and fish penetration.

I just ordered the VMC and Owner Haymaker hooks to try. Both of these hooks should see a big improvement in hooksets since the points ride above the line tie shank as seen below:

[/quote]

sweet.  you found 3/0 Haymakers?!!  great hook.  very snaggy into wood and weeds, but they bury into bass excellent.  the extreme outward angle causes the tip to "walk" out of soft baits a bit more as well.