$9.00 Dollar Jig?????

Started by clubber, January 04, 2007, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjim5589

Marketing & the perception of the consumer! I wouldn't pay $9.00 for a jig, but some folks might if they think it will help them catch more fish.

Look at the price of some crankbaits, 10 years ago, folks would think a $15 to $25 crankbait was crazy, yet today people pay that much for them. Are they worth it? The answer is yes to some, no to others!

How much would you pay for a hair jig? Would you pay $2.50 for one! That's what I used to charge for some of mine, some folks would buy them, some wouldn't.

Again, it's all about the perception of the person buying the product!  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bass1cpr

Evolution Jigs are 9.99 a package of two.

Tru-Tungsten jigs are 6.99
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

GotstaFish

Quote from: bass1cpr on January 12, 2007, 12:31:54 AM
   Evolution Jigs are 9.99 a package of two.

Tru-Tungsten jigs are 6.99
Lead is just fine for jigs  lo

bass1cpr

I've got pleanty of lead jigs and I love my tungsten weights.

Once ya get use to fishing with Tungsten.

Lead is Dead.  lo
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Andrew

I bought two of the tru tungsten jigs just to see how they felt. If i remember it was the ones that has jason quinn's picture on them. IMO i could easily get use to them and have to spend the money for them. To me there is nothing like tungsten.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

GotstaFish

I like tungsten also, but the cost has got to drop some.

clubber

No tungsten for me either, I'm not going to pay that price for fishing tackle. IMO you can catch just as many fish with the older stuff... If I ever win the lottery and get some of that yuppie type money, then maybe. But not on old retired guy money. ~xyz

bass1cpr

My fishing time is valuable to me so I have learned that cost can't always be my first concern. Do I try and keep it inexpensive yes if I can.

The future of lead grows shorter every year eventually it will be outlawed. Lots of theories as to why but that's another topic.

Tin and Bismoth are just a couple of the alternative materials out there but they don't have the density of lead.

Tungsten has a higher density and is harder and smaller, so it fits the bill well. It's just an expensive material to manufacture.

I know using Tungsten that my hook up ratio is higher and I miss fewer fish than with lead. I attribute that mostly to the hardness of the tungsten.

The scratches my old lead sinkers use to have from passing thru the bass's lips means they can get a grip on it slowing down the sinker as your setting the hook, causing you to miss fish.

They can't do that with tungsten it's too hard so there's less speed lost in the movement of the hook set. Just one of my theories but one that makes a lot of sense to most of the people I talk with.

Tungsten Jigs it's the smaller head size that's the biggest benefit and the hardness for transmitting vibrations back to the rod. Increased sensitivity the weights also have that benefit.

clubber

All states may finally go the way of California and outlaw lead. But as long as I'm making my own spinnerbaits and jigs and buzzbaits, mine will be made of lead.

My theory is that the lead doesn't hurt the enviorenment lying on the bottom of a lake.  But all of the tree huggers will come up for some reason to outlaw it.

The reason for the high cost of some of the crankbaits and other fishing tackle, is because people are willing to pay for it. But I will not contribute to it, I got enough junk laying around to last me the rest of my life.   :bang

GotstaFish

Quote from: bass1cpr on January 13, 2007, 11:53:31 AM

The scratches my old lead sinkers use to have from passing thru the bass's lips means they can get a grip on it slowing down the sinker as your setting the hook, causing you to miss fish.

They can't do that with tungsten it's too hard so there's less speed lost in the movement of the hook set. Just one of my theories but one that makes a lot of sense to most of the people I talk with.

I agree with you on the sensitivity factor but this statement doesn't hold water with me. If that was the case you would feel the resistance and the a slight increase in speed once again when the sinker cleared the teeth. I have never felt this and have fished years with lead and tungsten. The hook-up ratios are the same. I do believe that one of tungsten's biggest advantages is the fact that you can penetrate the thick stuff more easily.

bass1cpr

I don't think it's something we can feel. It's like shooting an engine block with a regular lead bullet then hitting it with an armour piercing round.

I've been using Tungsten since Lake Fork Tackle brought them to the market. It's not the brand I use now but I do fish Tungsten 97% of the time. I'm not counting jig time here just plastics.