"Floating" Worm

Started by pdryan0225, October 01, 2009, 07:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdryan0225

I'm fairly new to bass fishing, recently "converted" from a focus on walleye.

Belive it or not the season here in the north country (Wisconsin) will soon be winding down.   I still want to do some shakey head fishing this year.  Here is my question:

What is a good floating worm.  My understanding is the jig head essentially anchors the head and the worm will be floating almost vertical.  I can't find any worms that float.   Any recommendations on worms?

I'm loading up my tacklebox on some of the bass "standard" lures.   If I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it  ~shhh

Thanks in advance - great website and great bunch of guys (and gals)

Pat

kevin dye

Zoom does make a shaky head worm it's about 6'' and tapered at the tail. It works great. I use the watermelon seed alot.
sponsors:
KaRu lures         Koppers lures
line and lure       Ike-con tackle
BTS                  Equatec tackle
rod wrap            Pro-Cure
Izorline

Bassinkorea

The Zoom trick worm floats and is a great shakey head worm. But I personally use a floater that I buy locally in Korea.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

Baron49

Quote from: Bassinkorea on October 01, 2009, 08:42:13 AM
The Zoom trick worm floats and is a great shakey head worm. But I personally use a floater that I buy locally in Korea.

Zoom trick worms float?  :-\  I use them all the time with a 3/0 worm hook rigged texas or wacky style and they fall horizontally like a soft stick bait (Senko) with much the same action as they fall.  Are there different kinds of trick worms that do float?

The best floating worms I have used are Charlies Worms made in Florida.  When rigged on a jig head they work great for Shakey head fishing.

pdryan0225

...I tried the trick worm.   Mine don't float.   I first tested them in a fish tank and down to the bottom it went.

Pat

Dug

Google search for a Hightail holeShot worm. Best floater I have found.  Plus it trickles bubbles.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

NateG

I think he meant the tail of the trick worm stands up when on a shakey head.

Bassboss

Stick king 3x's, and Zoom speed worms are the best IMO. And they're not 'spose to stand straight up right, more like this

Check this out too.....
Total bass of 2009: 176/ biggest bass of '09: 6.27 lbs (2 of that weight)/bass over 5lbs: 7

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Baron49 on October 01, 2009, 08:53:24 AM
Zoom trick worms float?  :-\  I use them all the time with a 3/0 worm hook rigged texas or wacky style and they fall horizontally like a soft stick bait (Senko) with much the same action as they fall.  Are there different kinds of trick worms that do float?

Quote from: pdryan0225 on October 01, 2009, 09:14:52 AM
...I tried the trick worm.   Mine don't float.   I first tested them in a fish tank and down to the bottom it went.

Hey pdryan0225, sorry to have misled you when I said that trick worms float, what I was meant to tell you is that they stand up great on a shakey head rig which is what you are looking for in your original post.

Quote from: goliac7 on October 01, 2009, 02:43:56 PM
I think he meant the tail of the trick worm stands up when on a shakey head.

Yep, this is what I meant  ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

snapshotmd

I think the proper term for trick worms is neutral bouyancy.  I've tried floating trick worms by themselves in a tank and they DO sink... slowly.  They're not heavy enough to bend over itself when put on a shakey head.

Camden

Berkely i believe makes a "floating" worm as well in a natural nightcralwer. I just saw it the other day while goofing off at the shop.

chevy5099

have to you tryed the new floating worms by Float IT ?  Its a new floating worm that has a 7" curtail worms and a new floating craw beaver bait. 

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

West6550

I just picked up a pack of Zoom Trick worms, the tail does stay up a little. I also got a bag of "Bass Pro brand Floating Worms"
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tournament-Series-Softbaits-Floatin&39;-Worms/product/15642/

I have only used them twice with a shaky head with no luck... of course I didn't give them a decent shot because the worms are a odd material.. they float well though.

SwampbassSC

Gambler makes a worm called 'the big stick' that has a hollow section that allows it to float vertically and trickle bubbles. I've had very good luck with these. My 2nd favorite is the ZOOM Sharkey head worms in green weenie.
SwampbassSC

ssj3goten

i like to use roboworms 5.5" curlytail worms, they work very...very well down here

muddy man

Alluring makes a 6 inch floating worm, it does float

ssj3goten

Quote from: West6550 on October 19, 2012, 02:17:14 PM
I just picked up a pack of Zoom Trick worms, the tail does stay up a little. I also got a bag of "Bass Pro brand Floating Worms"
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tournament-Series-Softbaits-Floatin&39;-Worms/product/15642/

I have only used them twice with a shaky head with no luck... of course I didn't give them a decent shot because the worms are a odd material.. they float well though.

One method that works really well for me and i learned when i was starting to fish but works great is use the worm with no weights at all. Just casts and twitch just under the surface. I have caught fish all over the place in different bodies of water with this method.

chevy5099

Alot of companys say there baits float but they really do not. Yes they float without a hook until you put a hook in it. Just try your baits in your box.
Put them in water with a hook attached and watch what they do...SINK...LOL  Most of this companys show there products on small shaky heads and yes they will stand up just so the tail will stand up.

muddy man

Alluring Float worms flot t rigged with a BPS offset worm hook 3/0, dont dis one product just to promote your own, I have been using Alluring products since 2006

Steven Felder

Roboworm works for me, and a hard to find Zoom trickworm  ;)

SABasser

Definately give the Bg Bite Baits Squirrel tail a go. They are design specifically for the shakyhead rig. I have used these for a long time and they really work exceptionally well. Green Pumpkin with a charteuse tail is my favourite colour.