Possible trolling motor issues

Started by Frdtrtnfx4, March 23, 2017, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frdtrtnfx4

Getting ready to take my new PT190 out in the next week or two but noticed what might be an issue either the speed control or batteries/connection for the trolling motor. It's a 70lb thrust 24v MinnKota with the 5 speed control. When I run it on speeds 1-3 it appears to work fine, doesn't so entirely strong but still runs okay. When I turn it up to 4 or 5 there is absolutely no difference in speed or power. Feels like it's still running on 3. It appears all the wires are hooked up okay. The only thing I didn't check was the fuse. Anyone have any suggestions ?  It doesn't appear to be right

Va_Hawghunter

Just a thought, have you pulled the prop to make sure nothing is inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

Frdtrtnfx4

Lee Smith

Check your wiring at the back on the battery, sounds to me like you have a low ground feed?  Also check them at the plug in, can be anywhere, but without good ground you want get all the juice you need on the higher speeds.  It may also be ok and act correctly on the water.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Lee Smith on March 23, 2017, 11:45:35 AM
Check your wiring at the back on the battery, sounds to me like you have a low ground feed?  Also check them at the plug in, can be anywhere, but without good ground you want get all the juice you need on the higher speeds.  It may also be ok and act correctly on the water.
If that isn't it check the speed switch, they can go bad also.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Frdtrtnfx4

I played around with it last night for a while. Checked the wires, fuses etc. and everything appears to be okay. Called BPS and was told it has to be put under load in the water and it will react differently. That's my plan for this weekend or next if the weather here in NEPA ever decides to make its mind up

BassBUFF

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 24, 2017, 07:40:38 AM
Rodney

And we have a winner! I'll second this.

Pondprowlers

just like BPS said, i believe it needs to have a load put on it for it to go full power.

you dont mention what model tho. Maxxum or Edge 70?

Donald Garner

Quote from: BassBUFF on March 25, 2017, 03:26:11 PM
And we have a winner! I'll second this.

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 24, 2017, 07:40:38 AM
Rodney

Along with BassBuff and Rodney I concur on the Speed Switch.
I have a motor guide that the Speed Switch went bad. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard