Let's Go!!

Started by Sears, March 14, 2013, 02:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sears

Come on Kansas fishermen, let's get some traffic on here!  I'm heading out next week and will post a report. It'll be my first time out to McPherson SFL.

Mike Cork

We have several anglers from Kansas, and I realize its a big state, but all the more reason to let everyone know what's going on.  :-* :-* No top secret info but water conditions always help, plus show off our great days on the water ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bluebasser86

Fellow Kansas angler here. I know of a couple other Kansas guys on the board. I added a report from last Thursday on La Cygne. Going to try to make a habit of checking in and adding reports more often to bring some life to this board  ~sun

Team_Reeder20

I'll try and get some reports up this season! Living in SE KS the closest large lake to me is Big Hill Lake in Cherryvale. Plan on making a few trips to Melvern this season. Went and checked that lake out in January and loved the looks of it.

Seth
Member of the "Little Boats, Big Bass" Fishing Club

Sponsors: Minda Lures

bluebasser86

Melvern is a blast. Lots of chunky smallmouth and some good largemouth and even a few spots mixed in. I live less than an hour from that lake so I make it out there several times a year. Didn't catch any monsters last year but had a 5 pound smallmouth out of there 2 years ago in the fall, they don't much bigger than that around here!

ring fry

OK, fished Cedar Creek in SE Ks. on Saturday.  Windy, cold, 46* water.  Caught one on a weightless mag fluke in watermelon red.  Just over 18"  Missed a couple others because of the wind.  Also caught 7 out of a pond with a rogue.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

bluebasser86

Quote from: ring fry on March 18, 2013, 07:01:21 AM
OK, fished Cedar Creek in SE Ks. on Saturday.  Windy, cold, 46* water.  Caught one on a weightless mag fluke in watermelon red.  Just over 18"  Missed a couple others because of the wind.  Also caught 7 out of a pond with a rogue.

SE Kansas grass grower

Have you caught any big ones out of Cedar? It's a fun lake to fish with all the trees and good numbers but 18" is about as big as I've caught out of there. Not sure I could ever get a big fish out of all the trees but I'd sure like to try.

ring fry

A bunch of 16" - 18" fish but have caught one just over 6 and quite a few four to five pounders.  Larger baits, such as the mag fluke and bigger swim baits seem to do the trick.  You won't catch near the numbers, but the quality improves.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Team_Reeder20

Any tips on Melvern? Looks like it will be end of May when I get the chance to go. Its almost 2 hours for me to drive.
Member of the "Little Boats, Big Bass" Fishing Club

Sponsors: Minda Lures

bluebasser86

Quote from: Team_Reeder20 on March 19, 2013, 03:46:21 PM
Any tips on Melvern? Looks like it will be end of May when I get the chance to go. Its almost 2 hours for me to drive.

Don't plan on fishing much along the bottom. If you do you might as well just cut your line and throw your  bait in the water because the zebra mussels will do it for you if you don't. By late May should be a good topwater or spinnerbait bite. Small cranks like Strike King KVD 1.0s are usually pretty good, so are rattle traps. Swimming a grub or a Fluke Jr on a scrounger head is usually good also.