Melvern Lake 4/12

Started by bluebasser86, April 15, 2013, 05:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebasser86

Fished Melvern with 2 friends on Friday. Water was colder than we'd hoped, 46.8 at the state park ramp when we dumped in. Wind was blowing hard as soon as we got there and water was pretty clear. Didn't get a bite for the first hour or so tossing jerkbaits, cranks, boot tails, or shakyheads. Finally I hooked a fish off a point on a jigging spoon but it came off before we saw it. Decided to run to the back of one of the bigger arms on the north side about mid lake and jump into one of the little cuts just to get out of the wind. Water there was 48.8 with a slight stain to it. Shortly after we got there I caught our first fish of the day on a Luck E Strike wart hog, 3.12 pounds.

Then Ryan got a healthy largemouth on a shakyhead.

and Chris caught a 3.02lb smallmouth on a RCX jerkbait.

Ryan got broke off by a good fish on a shakyhead and then caught another good largemouth off almost the exact same spot our second time around the pocket, also on a shakyhead.

Then I got my biggest fish of the day, a 3.28lb smallmouth on a 97mr slender pointer.

Ryan also caught a really nice white bass on a Mcstick and I caught the biggest spot I've ever caught from Melvern on a RCX mini but no pictures of either. Had to leave after just about 3 hours because the steering cable broke on Ryan's trolling motor.