Pier and Surf fishing...HELP

Started by hubcap91, February 25, 2018, 07:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubcap91

I'm traveling to Panama City Beach this summer and could really use any tips for fishing piers or the surf. The condo I'm staying at is really close to Pier Park. I saw it last year but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Any tips for tackle, bait, rigging, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cport

Quote from: hubcap91 on February 25, 2018, 07:40:29 PM
I'm traveling to Panama City Beach this summer and could really use any tips for fishing piers or the surf. The condo I'm staying at is really close to Pier Park. I saw it last year but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Any tips for tackle, bait, rigging, etc would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I can tell you is fish the moving tides, high or low. When the tide is completely out at low tide, look at the terrain much like you would a lake at low level. Look for holes and channels, permit and other fish will congregate there at high tide. Spinning gear rules when surf fishing in general, a 7'6" Heavy rod and a 4000 reel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

hubcap91

Quote from: cport on February 25, 2018, 07:47:08 PM
One thing I can tell you is fish the moving tides, high or low. When the tide is completely out at low tide, look at the terrain much like you would a lake at low level. Look for holes and channels, permit and other fish will congregate there at high tide. Spinning gear rules when surf fishing in general, a 7'6" Heavy rod and a 4000 reel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'm hoping to catch Redfish or Pompano that I can keep and cook at the condo.

Pferox

There is a lot of information in this section about pier fishing, actually.

Get a Pier / Bridge net, it will save a lot on your gear.

A double drop rig will work best for this kind of fishing.

Stout circle hooks in the 1/0 to 3/0 range work best.  For Pompano, use a smaller hook, they have small mouths.

Orange beads near the hook are great additional attractors for Pompano.

Pyramid or clench (spider) weights are the only way to fish the surf.

I prefer Fiberglass or Eglass Composite rods, most of mine are  pretty inexpensive, it doesn't hurt as bad when you break one.

Shrimp, fresh dead, or live are the best bait, usually.  Sand fleas work great for Pompano.

Fish Bytes are a nice alternative to have on hand also.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Pferox

OH yea, one more thing, I use 60 to 80 lb mono leaders instead of wire, this way toothy critters bite off and you don't have to mess with landing and releasing them.

You can catch a lot of good eating fish with 12 to 20lb mono or braid and lighten up your gear a little.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

hubcap91

Thanks for the help. I'm happy I have a couple months to get some tackle together. I think I'm going to order a Penn Battle II combo for larger fish and take one of my older spinning setups for catching bait. Do you have any recommendations for a pier net?

Pferox

This is what you are looking for in a net.  This particular one is kind of light weight, mine is much heavier, I found it at a bait shop near the coast and they were selling it as a crab net, go figure. I had to add my own rope and other rigging, this one is complete, although I'm not thrilled with the rope.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/marathon-double-ring-bridge-and-pier-net-16manu31dblrngbrdfac/16manu31dblrngbrdfac

Make sure it is the double ring style, it is easier to control when in the water.  My first one was a light one and I had to add weights to the bottom ring to keep it from folding up in the current.

I also use a heavier rope and make sure that there are knots in it every foot or so for easier purchase.  I also made the rope much longer so I can tie it off to something, that way if it gets away from you it won't go very far.

I've got a battle and it works great the two should be good also.  Most of my reels are Penns, mostly Pursuits and Spinfishers BTW.  The 5000 size combo is a good all around pier set up, keep the rod around 7 to 9 feet, any longer and some piers won't let you use it.

Pferox

I suggest 20lb mono, either Ande premium in pink or Florescent green or Back Country Blue, BullBuster.net in Pink or Yellow, or Pline CXX in either Florescent Green or Hi Viz.  In my experience, these lines are the toughest against barnacles and are yet managable.  There are others out there, but they are usually kind of unruly on spinning gear.

Your bait rod should have either 832 or PP in 20lb hi viz color, like yellow.  The braid will help you feel catch sheepshead, they are slimy, but great eating.

It is always good for you and others on a pier to see where your line is.

Also take a very small spool of 40lb mono in either clear or pink for leaders.  It is a good idea to put a few feet of the mono on your braid setup to keep from abrading on the stuff on the bottom of the sea bed and pier.

I can't explain it exactly, but pink line works fantastic as leader material in salt water, it must disappear or something.

Use black swivels and such, many toothy fish will strike at flashy stuff and that will make for a bad day terminal tackle wise.

40 to 80 lb mono will catch edible size Spanish mackerel although wire lasts longer between reties, but it keeps your tackle bag a little lighter. Bring a silver flashy spoon with you just in case they are running.

Pferox

Lets talk hooks ......

Use circle hooks, some species of fish HAVE to be caught on circles by law, so to cover your butt, just use circles.

Owner, Diatchi, Mustad, and Eagle Claw all make good circle hooks, just make sure they aren't offset, the offset ones tend to gut hook a little.  They all look a little light in the wire department, but work well and are quite sharp.

One of interest though that I have been using is the circle hook sold by Academy, it is a much heavier wire and looks more like a J hook, but work like a circle.  You have to sharpen the tip a bit, but it is worth it especially when going after Sheepshead, who can flatten out a standard circle hook regularly.

Circle hooks need to be snelled, and some of the smaller ones won't take 40lb leader material, there you will have to look into using a cross lock snap.  The Acadamy ones will snell 40lb pretty easily.

Sorry for the long multiple posts, but I am picking my brain as to what tips I can give you for a better experience.

hubcap91

All valuable info. I really appreciate it.

hubcap91

Well I got the Penn Battle II combo today. Geez...what a piece of garbage. Thing grinds like a $15 walmart combo and the reel seat was cracked. It's getting shipped back tomorrow. Thinking I'll try the Daiwa BG next.

Good news is I got my pier net and it looks great!

Pferox

Wow, I'm suprised.  I have the old battle and it is rock solid.

My pursuit IIs are a little klunky, but still lock up and work like a winch.

Sounds like someone sent you a return or something.

Daiwa is a good reel also, although I don't know much about each one individually.

hubcap91

Quote from: Pferox on March 07, 2018, 12:15:59 AM
Wow, I'm suprised.  I have the old battle and it is rock solid.

My pursuit IIs are a little klunky, but still lock up and work like a winch.

Sounds like someone sent you a return or something.

Daiwa is a good reel also, although I don't know much about each one individually.
From what I read online the Battle II can be hit or miss. Looks like I got a miss. No big deal. I wish I could justify getting one of the higher end Penns.

cport

Quote from: hubcap91 on March 07, 2018, 07:57:28 AM
From what I read online the Battle II can be hit or miss. Looks like I got a miss. No big deal. I wish I could justify getting one of the higher end Penns.

I'm sure if you ask the tackle monkey, he could give you some ideas about justification....
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

hubcap91

Quote from: cport on March 07, 2018, 09:28:18 AM
I'm sure if you ask the tackle monkey, he could give you some ideas about justification....
Stop cport...you know I'm weak. Lol

Pferox

The Spinfisher V is a sweet reel I have a few of em and they were definitely worth the investment.

Sorry I had to edit it because I gave you the wrong model name.  I have older SS reels that have been around for years and I doubt are available anymore.

hubcap91

Quote from: Pferox on March 07, 2018, 01:28:22 PM
The SSv is a sweet reel I have a few of em and they were definitely worth the investment.
The Daiwa is on the way but I'm going to check out the other Penns in person when I get down there. No one stocks them in KY.

Pferox

You might want to look into a Fierce reel, they aren't as smooth as other Penns, but they are pretty much bullet proof.  I have a couple of them in the 2000 range, I think, for inshore / bait work and they have held up well for me.

I put 20lb 832 braid on it and have brought in some 30lb and bigger black drum.

Go to a Bass Pro Shop and look at their $39 Off Shore Angler Rods, I have the older fiberglass version, but their Eglass models look very good too.

You don't need to spend much on a rod, better to invest the money in the reel.