Hickory 3/19

Started by geneinnc, March 19, 2020, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneinnc

Let the spawn begin, if the wind hasn't blown them off the beds.

I arrived at 10am, decided which weapons needed to slay the mighty bass.

White and green mini Zara Spook was a flop. It's a bit early but it wont be long until top water time. Water is 58 and should be stone cold perfect in the low 60s  by Monday.

I abandoned the lay downs and hit my favorite flat and out comes the KVD slash jerkbait on the 5ft5 ugly stick. First cast was at least 50 yards wind aided. Let it lay, a couple of twitches and boom! I snagged bottom.

Does bottom pull and shake? Set the hook and those Mustads do what they do. It took me a while to get it close enough to see but she saw the boat. Hang on! What pound test? Keep her from jumping. Didn't matter as she went catfish mode, straight down and upset. I didn't dare try to net her. Wind is 25 plus and I needed to get the fish in before I'm beached. Hoisted her in and no way she was getting loose. Front hook in the lip and the other two locked down on the first thing they touched. I finally got all 3 out when it dawned on me I'm looking at the fattest spotted bass I have layed eyes on. We are talking football shape fat.

I had to give up the flat since my trolling motor mount is kind of half way attached.

I found one of my favorite coves empty and down wind but this was it. Jerkbait was ignored so yeah I'm grabbing a crankbait. I caught a decent largemouth  and the wind got serious. I half way idled in while was enjoying the sun and the 75 weather.

I tried to get several views hoping they would show how fat she really was. Another one that easily makes NC trophy status.

I forgot all about weighing her. She was easily over the 15" and 2lb criteria.

What do you guys think she weighed? I'm curious now.

Time to fish guys!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk