Hickory 6/15

Started by geneinnc, June 15, 2020, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geneinnc

Daylight top water action had died with the cool weather. It was after 8 until i could see the bait balls on the surface. Chartreuse 1.5 one knocker yielded a few decent fish. When that died I started hitting ledges. Same lure got me another nice fish. I tied on a tube on an XZONE CHARTREUSE BOMB and worked it like a jig on the drop-off. I am glad I put it on  a jig rod. I saw the line move and felt that distinct thump of something big inhaling the tube. Ike would have been proud of the hook set, one of those where you run a 21 foot circle. The 7ft MH Falcon rod bent double under the boat. I luckily had just put fresh 14lb FC Sniper  fluorocarbon on. I had to lean in to her to get her off the bottom. I was expecting a 4lb spot. Wrong. When it jumped my heart skipped a beat. I reached for my net but stuck to my guns on MLF rules. I got her turned and when she opened her mouth to jump again I lunged. Luck was with me. My left arm is still about 20% and I dropped her. The hook held and I scooped her against and in to the boat.

PB on  Lake Hickory. 7.2lbs.

What do you guys think of a replica mount? The odds of me catching anything even close to this one are miniscule. I did get the measurements. I dont even know the cost. I'm open to suggestions.

Funny how I have never even tried a tube for 60 years and now it's on my short list of go to lures!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Wow!!  :o :o Beautiful bass, WTG!! Honestly... why fish to the MLF standards and risk losing a PB? Use the net.

Thank you for sharing.

geneinnc

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 15, 2020, 09:50:17 AM
Wow!!  :o :o Beautiful bass, WTG!! Honestly... why fish to the MLF standards and risk losing a PB? Use the net.

Thank you for sharing.
It wouldn't have fit the net I had anyway. You do have a good point.

Lipripper

Great looking fish. ~c~ Like Lou get the net and on a fish like that MLF standards would be taking a dip in the lake.  :) Congratulation on a new PB.  8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: geneinnc on June 15, 2020, 09:57:36 AM
It wouldn't have fit the net I had anyway. You do have a good point.

Sounds like you need a bigger net for those hawgs!! ;)

Mike Cork

Congratulations on a beautiful bass.

Replicas are awesome, I have 6 and they are great ways to acknowledge a big bass and give you something to strike up conversation to tell the story when folks come over. Being replicas they are easy to clean too, just pledge and a rag and they look like new again.

I am part of an organization called Bass Life, here in NW Louisiana we hold a fund raising banquet. Through the year we provide replicas for angles who catch weigh and release big bass. We pay half for an 8 pounder, 3/4 for a 9 pounder and 100 percent for a 10 plus.

These weights are regional obviously... Whether you should get a replica is up to you, I say heck ya!!!

Cost, we'll be pay about $350 each, we get a break because we order so many. If you have a local taxidermy, check with them. I know BPS does it but it seems like they are pretty expensive. All this rambling to say it's not cheap but I'd do it if I caught one that big in your neck of the woods.  ~c~ ~c~

Again Congratulations :toot:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Congrats on the New Personal Best  ~c~  That's a really nice looking fish there.  Good luck in getting a Replica made.  Tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard