NED Rig Fishing?

Started by DanD, February 12, 2022, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanD

Just picked up fishing The NED Rig in Piedmont area lakes.  Started on Jordan lake and had some great success and now looking at other lakes such as Mayo and Belews lakes.    So far the colors used are those watermelon blk flake.  I sure would appreciate any suggestions and tips in fishing this technique would be appreciated!

bigjim5589

I pour a lot of my own stuff so started using them about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I fish Santee Cooper in SC and so far have had limited success, but also have had limited access to parts of the lake, as I've been fishing from the bank. I've not been too thrilled with most Ned rig baits, so have been cutting 6" & 7" senko style baits in half. They seem to have a bit more wiggle movement to them.  I have tried the Z-Man TRD's too and plan to give some others a try this year.

I've been using mostly green pumpkin, but I have painted some in watermelon, & black, but don't think the actual color matters much, but I do plan to try some in colors like chartreuse or hot pink, just to see if that contrast helps any. What I pour has either 2/0 or 3/0 Gamakatsu hooks in them and they're a light wire hook, so work well with the 8 lb line I use.

I've also started making a weedless version, and have poured some in size 1, 1/0 & 2/0 and I think the 2/0 will be the best choice, but I won't give up on the smaller hooks either until I've been able to really fish them and see. The options for hooks are limited with Victory in size 1, and VMC in all three sizes.

As far as fishing them, I'm just dragging & bouncing them on the bottom as best I can and have hooked more Bream with them than bass so far.  lo

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pat Dilling

I got turned on to the Ned rig a little over 3 years ago and have literally caught 100s of bass on them.  I fish a lot on clear water reservoirs with a predominate spotted bass population.  The spots love them but I have also caught largemouth up to 6.5 pounds.  My wife, who just started fishing in January 2021, has had great success with them.  She has caught a 5 lb largemouth, a 3.5 pound smallie and a catfish that we estimate between 15-18 pounds!  It's hard to get her to throw anything else.  I use the Z-Man TRD mostly and upsize to the Z-Man Hula Stick when fishing largemouth lakes. I like the elaztech material because it is very buoyant and the lures stand straight up on the bottom.  Even the lightest movement or current makes them move. The elaztech is incredibly durable.  I started using the Z-Man heads, most often in the 1/5th size.  But have converted almost completely to a weedless head similar bigjim's.  They are made by https://www.flatlandscustomtackle.com/store/c21/Ned_Head_Jigs.html.

I use the 3/16 with a 1/0 most of the time.  If I am fishing shallow with a lot of rocks I use the 1/8, that reduces snags.
If I am fishing deeper than 25 feet, or if it is windy, I use the 1/4.  When fishing where big largemouth live, I use the VMC 2/0 hook because it is a stouter hook.  I also use braid to fluorocarbon line.  usually 15 or 20# yellow braid and 8, 10 or 12# flouro.  Most of the time I use 10.  I use 12 fishing around willow trees or docks.  I use 8 when the water is ultra clear or the fish are picky. 

I don't think you can fish it wrong.  Most of the time I dead stick them on a semi-slack line.  A lot of the bites are just weight or the fish are just there when you pick up the slack.  Sometimes you see your line move off.  Line watching
really improves your catch.  My wife likes to drag them, letting them sink to the bottom then slowly reeling.  Other people I know like to shake them.  We all seem to catch fish.  I use green pumpkin or mudbug most of the time.  I have lousy color vision so I try to keep it simple.  Right now I am actually forcing myself to throw other baits, to fight my Ned addiction.  But when I don't get bites, I reach for the Ned again.

I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

topdsm0138

Perfect bait for kids and beginners. Took the kids out and rigged their Zebco 33's with a couple Ned Rigs for the pond. My niece just reeled this in for me about an hour ago. Caught on a Z-man black & blue flake TRD rigged on a Z-man bulletz head.

There really is no wrong way to fish them, as these kids proved today. They are a very versatile bait.

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont