just a heads up

Started by Oldfart9999, February 14, 2022, 07:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

Just a heads up, check to see if your unit has a standby setting, if so it should shut the transducer off, it means no extra wear when you're changing locations, if you change the unit to another setting the transducer should be automatically be put in standby, it saves wear and tear on the transducer, they do wear out and they aren't cheap to replace.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

mygreenihc

That is very sound advice,  especially with the newer stuff.  If you dont put active target into standby mode when you pull it out of the water,  within a few minutes you can see steam when it starts drying. They can overheat on a long run.

Donald Garner

Quick question here.  Do you leave your bow unit on when you pull the trolling motor up and make a run to the next location?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Mike Cork

Donald, I used to never worry about it because it wouldn't be out long. But with the newer units they highly encourage at least putting them in standby mode when out of the water. I don't know why it hurts them, they don't get hot? But it's recommended.

Like Rodney said, there are only so many pulses the crystals in the transducer, one day it's going to wear out and replacing them isn't cheap.

Since I got my new Garmins I put them in Standby when not in use. IE I put the bow unit in standby when the trolling motor is up, and I put the counsel unit in standby when I'm fishing.

Back to your question Donald. I used to, but don't anymore. It never seemed to hurt my units.

Great post Rodney ~c~ ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Mike, tks for the information.  Guess I'll go back to the old way.

Rodney tks for posting this.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard