Ultrex

Started by twocold, March 14, 2018, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocold

I'm sure that this has been covered before, just looking updated information. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on Minn Kotta ultrex . Those that got them, what do you think? Issues? How well does spot lock and the mapping following functions work?

Mike Cork

Not to derail a thread, but there is a post in the Carolina Fishing Buddies board under the Forum Bass Clubs that has some info.

Hopefully others will jump in here. I don't own one but my father does and he loves it. Everything from spot lock to following a trail, it's really cool. He's only had one problem and it was in the remote. I don't remember exactly what it was but they worked with him on the phone and after about ten minutes they sent him a new one.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

If you can pull the trigger on one and are willing to experiment with it you'll be more than happy with one. It's amazing what they can do, they make my older Terrova look backwards!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

bought a new foretrex just before they came out with the ultrex.   ~rant

so I have some time before I will upgrade.  for fishing offshore in water and needing to hold in deeper depths or in current, wind, boy do I want/need one of these!

Princeton_Man

Quote from: coldfront on March 15, 2018, 08:26:36 AM
bought a new foretrex just before they came out with the ultrex.   ~rant

so I have some time before I will upgrade.  for fishing offshore in water and needing to hold in deeper depths or in current, wind, boy do I want/need one of these!

Yup, since the Ultrex came out I've seen a big increase in the number of Fortrex models for sale in the various selling groups and classifieds.

The Ultrex is my next big ticket item. I've taken shallow water anchors off the list for now.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cojab

I bought the MG Xi5 a little while back. If I had known this Ultrex was coming out I would have kept saving.
Good luck on the search twocold.
TTK has spoken.

PECo

I love my 80 pound Ultrex.

I learned to use a cable-steer troller with a Maxxum, but my previous troller was a remote-control Terrova, because I fish in rivers a lot and needed Spot Lock. The foot pedal for the Terrova operates nothing like a cable-steer troller, so I never used it. However, now that I have the Ultrex, I use the foot pedal and never use the remote-control. Another important feature of the Ultrex is its Fortrex-style mount, which is way more robust than the Ulterra and Terrova mounts.

I wouldn't consider any other troller.

Oldfart9999

I went from a Power Drive to a Terrova because of the foot control, in the wind I wasn't fishing I was pushing buttons on the remote. With the Terrova I can use the foot control, it's not the easiest but is doable, with the side buttons it becomes easy to steer. The Ultrexx is electric steer by the way, cable to the controllers then electric, it's an amazing setup.
Rodney

PECo

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 20, 2018, 07:13:00 AM
The Ultrexx is electric steer by the way, cable to the controllers then electric, it's an amazing setup.

It really IS amazing how well Minn Kota dialed in the electric steering to behave like a cable-steer motor. It feels just right.

Oldfart9999

Lot of development, lot of money, expensive unit but if you fish txs well worth the cost.
Rodney

twocold

Ok well pulled the trigger today have a new ultrex with I pilot. Now just need to figure out how to use it the manuals from Minn kota  aren't really that specific. going to get it out on the water with remote and figure it out.

Catawba_Mike

I upgraded from a Fortrex to an Ultrex 112 on my Phoenix last summer, and I will never look back. The steering became fluid for me the first time out.

I have not had any issues, although I did sever the transducer cable when pulling the motor, which was expensive. Watch the loop in your cable when you install it, and make sure it's positioned so that it won't get caught between the brackets.

The main features I use are the Spot Lock (anchor button on pedal) and cruise control (N button).

Spot Lock works incredibly well, and this unit is a big improvement from the Terrova I had on my last boat. The unit will "hunt" some when there's no wind, but it will keep you close to your spot. Spot Lock to me is the best technological advancement in bass fishing since basic sonar. It makes jigging over bait balls in fall a blast. It's also great when tending to a fish or re-tying when it's windy.

To use cruise control when casting along a bank, adjust your throttle speed via the dial, hit the prop button on the pedal, then hit the "N" button. This will take you down the bank at your chosen speed, in the direction the motor is pointed, without a foot on the pedal. Your direction can be adjusted by turning the motor slightly with your foot. This also works extremely well, and lets you focus on casting to spots.

While I don't have iPilot and 'Birds on this boat, I do have experience with "Follow the Contour" using my Terrova and Lakemaster maps. This is an awesome feature for troling and casting, allowing you to follow a depth contour in your chosen direction. It also works extremely well.

Minn Kota hit an absolute home run with the Ultrex. You will be happy with your purchase. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Catawba Mike

Eric-Maine

I love the ultrex. Two complaints though,  both could be fixed, I think, by boat manufacturers or recessed tray makers. It is too tall. I am standing with my weight on 1 foot again. That and my big feet inadvertently hitting the "N" or the "prop" button. If the well was 3 inches deeper I think both of those issues would be corrected.
For 20 years I fished on one foot, last 10 I could fish with weight evenly distributed. Now it feels like I am back. With use of the spot lock and "N" you can compensate some. With this being the real deal I hope boats come out with an deep ultrex recess.

Bassinkorea

I am really thinking seriously about getting an Ultrex for my Triton.

Quote from: twocold on May 01, 2018, 06:31:23 PM
Ok well pulled the trigger today have a new ultrex with I pilot. Now just need to figure out how to use it the manuals from Minn kota  aren't really that specific. going to get it out on the water with remote and figure it out.

What shaft length did you get and what is your boat?
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

apenland01

Quote from: twocold on May 01, 2018, 06:31:23 PM

You have to download the actual manuals.  The only thing that comes with it are installation instructions, a user manual for the heading sensor and quick reference guide for the remote.  You need to get the full manuals from the minn kota site.

I just got my new Ultrex installed on my Ranger boat and need to do the calibration and offset, so it's ready to go.  I hoped to do it last weekend, but ran into a motor issue and didn't get away from the dock.  Should be good to go next weekend.  The process seems pretty easy to get it setup correctly.