Thoughts on Auto-Spool

Started by greenpig, July 10, 2023, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpig

Hi,forum
What if spool itself has self-rotation power by making spool auto-spooling with small battery and motor inside of it. like bicycle wheel it's just turning with or without pedal powered.
so when casting with brake on, it limit backlash and also normally drop the spool rotation power/speed.
but with motor, it doesn't.
as a result, with no backlash cast further.

Smallie_Stalker

Great idea!

I have a couple of questions:

1) In what way(s) would this be different than the electric reels already on the market for anglers with disabilities?

2) There are also digital control reels on the market. They don't have battery or electricity but work on a concept similar to an alternator in a car. The rotation of the spool recharges the digital control. It's not impossible to backlash a DC reel, but it's pretty difficult once set right

So how would what you are suggesting be different or improve on either of these designs?

Would be very interested to hear your ideas.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

how would a motor know to stop spinning when my bait hits the water, or a tree truck.?

greenpig

...initial brake doesn't drop/reduce certain speed of spool rotation...
so freely set brake almost to zero backlash level. still no pro spool will rotate itself smoothly...
lure weight and power of casting makes turn spool but if it has self rotation power as well.
it'll be more smoothly run...

as a result, no backlash whatsoever while casting freely..

greenpig

Quote from: Hobious on July 11, 2023, 12:25:43 PMhow would a motor know to stop spinning when my bait hits the water, or a tree truck.?

spool stops immediately by thumb or sudden no line pull out detection

big g

What about weight?  I hate a heavy reel.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Apoc81

Quote from: big g on July 17, 2023, 06:49:21 PMWhat about weight?  I hate a heavy reel.
Quote from: greenpig on July 11, 2023, 09:09:41 PM...initial brake doesn't drop/reduce certain speed of spool rotation...
so freely set brake almost to zero backlash level. still no pro spool will rotate itself smoothly...
lure weight and power of casting makes turn spool but if it has self rotation power as well.
it'll be more smoothly run...

as a result, no backlash whatsoever while casting freely..

Quote from: big g on July 17, 2023, 06:49:21 PMWhat about weight?  I hate a heavy reel.
There are multiple problems with this idea, the main one kind of being that electric motors just don't work like he's claiming they do. Motors aren't breaks, they work independently of each other.

The closest thing to what he's saying is a DC reel (which I personally hate, I had a Curado DC that I gave to my best friend's daughter for her high school fishing league).

Lighter spools backlash because of lack of weight, the only thing that stops it is a brake, or a heavier spool. My TranX 400 just will not backlash, partly because of the auto brake, but mostly because of the weight of the larger spool and braid.