Outboard advice on 1988 375V Classic Star

Started by Riverside, May 03, 2019, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riverside

Hey Guys, just picked up a nice 18ft Ranger, what sold it was the condition and the ipilot with Helix 9 and another Hummingbird setup at the steering wheel, plus the guy took great care of the boat. Only issue is the Outboard is now a boat anchor, he took it in to Bass Pro and they told him so which is why he sold it for a good deal and he already got another boat.

I live on a private lake thats not very big but has good fishing, the speed limit is 35mph in the main part that takes about 5 minutes to circle doing 35mph. It does have a lot of coves with no wake, two of the coves I live in the middle of are no wake like the rest of them. I figure I will be on the trolling motor only and rarely use an outboard. Probably never go to another lake but might hit another lake if I had an outboard on the boat.

I dont live near a big enough body of water to get the boat up on plane and have a ski boat for speed. Im thiniking Id be happy doing 25mph if needed. Also thinking in the back of my head who needs the headaches of two gas motors if your not really using both gas motors.

Theres a retired boat mechanic selling out of his house a 40hp for $1500, a 70hp for $1700 and a 90hp for $1900, he said hed give me $200 for my motor and if I help him he would remove and install the new motor I choose on my boat with a 30 day warranty.  Im wondering which on of the Mercs he is selling would work best for what Im looking for and any advice on something I may not have thought of. 

Thank you,
Pete

Bud Kennedy

Pete, the ranger 300 series hull is fairly heavy.  I have a 91 .365V .  Given the conditions you list I would go with the 90hp just to get a bit more flexibility should you go elsewhere.  All of this of course depends upon the condition of the newer motors.  After a compression check it should help you make up your mind.

The price you list appears to be decent but only if the motor checks out. 

Riverside

Thank you for the input.  The 90hp seems right, its almost half of whats on there. I went with this boat because it heavy and the lake Im on is really windy many times of the the year.

Mike Cork

I'd have to say the 90 hp as well. Reason being is I just don't think the 40 or 70 will get that boat on plane. There will be time you'll want to get up and go, say a bad storm is coming or super is ready. I would just get the 90 to make sure I could get up on plane and run if I needed too. This always keeps your options open in case something comes up and you want to go to another lake.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Riverside

Thanks I found a good deal on a 90hp I'm going with on Tuesday.

Mike Cork

Let us know how it goes and what you think about the power...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service