Tokyo Rig

Started by Larry Francis, February 05, 2023, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Francis

I bought some Tokyo Rig hooks about 6 months ago and have not touched them since. New presentation and all take confidence and well just never used them. Yesterday I was experiencing the spawn  here in central Florida after a cold front. I was getting bumps and figured the bass were just knocking it off the bed. So I started setting the hook quickly without any luck. After a few hours I thought this area might be good for the Tokyo Rig and I should try it. I put 2 opposite facing 1/16th oz bullet weights on and a Beaver in Black June Bug. After tossing it around about 5 minutes I pitched over this Log which looked very fishy. Bang  and you can see the results below in the photo. No more fish on it and it was still getting the bumps like most everything I threw. The fish I caught I feel would have hit most anything pitched into this area, so, I would make this a true test for this presentation.

I am curious as to how many use this set-up and how you have fished it. Any success stories? I know some people talk it up but they are paid to so that is not a true test. What is everyone's opinion on this rig.
Molon Labe

BassmanRudy

I personally like it while bed fishing as it sits off the bottom allowing the fish to suck it in easier. Even used it with the wifey so she could see the bait moving more by shaking the semu taut line.

I haven't found it as successful for me on normal other flipping uses though.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

big g

I fished with a guy from this site that uses a Tokyo Rig often.  He has caught some nice bass on it deep, but at the same time I caught as many on a wacky jig head, or light Texas rig.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Donald Garner

I not tried this yet.  Congrats on the catch there and tks for sharing that picture with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Mike Cork

I found your OP very comical as it is me!!! I bought two packs about six months go and just found them again in the bottom of my compartment. Hadn't even thought about them until yesterday LOL

But I am very anxious to try them now, I put them on top of my hook box to remind me  :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

CRosh324

I tried them a few times last year and caught a few fish on them.  I found that I could feel the bait and the bite better with lighter weights.  I jigged it in tree tops and pulled a few out that way.  I do have it tied on one of my poles and will be trying it a little more this year.

Hobious

i bought a few and forgot about them.  my friend punches weed mats with it and it drags the bait down quickly.  he hammered a few, so i know it works.  but i caught a few as well.   

Larry Francis

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 08, 2023, 09:04:30 AM
I found your OP very comical as it is me!!! I bought two packs about six months go and just found them again in the bottom of my compartment. Hadn't even thought about them until yesterday LOL

But I am very anxious to try them now, I put them on top of my hook box to remind me  :surrender:

Well that makes me happy to know I am not the only one. lol.
Molon Labe