Quality winter shoe?

Started by Mike Cork, January 17, 2024, 01:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

As I get older, the skin gets thinner. My feet had a heck of a time last year. I used toasty toes and it helped but there has to be a cold weather shoe out there. I've got hiking boots that work, but they are cumbersome and I've broke a few eyes because of them...

What do you northern folks where to keep the toes warm?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

For the really nasty deep stuff I have Mucks. For the every day cold, nasty, wet, etc. days I wear Bates Tactical boots. They're plenty warm enough, they lace up but have a side zip, so they're quick on and quick off. They're light and very comfortable. They'll shine up, but I just spray them down a couple times when I first take them out of the box. I can wear them to work all day and some days I'm walking up and down the halls and stairs all day. These are the same boots many LEO and rescue choose to wear.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bassmedic46

I have Carolinas that I wear. I use to wear the Bates Tactical Boot when I worked on the Ambulance. Very comfortable boot.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

caddyjoe77

had bates many times, im sure Mike did too as a flightline guy. 

I am sorta looking for the same answer -- shoes that are somewhat warm on the deck of a boat and while i have worn my mucks many times, maybe there is a warmer shoe that is more like a tennis shoe.  Might be a hard task though as the insulation etc that would need to go into this.

thinking a pair of  breathable shoe that is too big - like at least 1 size with some thinsulate socks and maybe a thin wool sock.  size too big I am thinking creates a warm pocket.  maybe -- i dont know i base this off the idea that when you have gloves that are a little loose or you put hands in your pockets as long as there is air movement inside it seems to keep hands warm so why not feet?
BeerMe

Princeton_Man

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on January 17, 2024, 08:03:38 PMhad bates many times, im sure Mike did too as a flightline guy. 

I am sorta looking for the same answer -- shoes that are somewhat warm on the deck of a boat and while i have worn my mucks many times, maybe there is a warmer shoe that is more like a tennis shoe.  Might be a hard task though as the insulation etc that would need to go into this.

thinking a pair of  breathable shoe that is too big - like at least 1 size with some thinsulate socks and maybe a thin wool sock.  size too big I am thinking creates a warm pocket.  maybe -- i dont know i base this off the idea that when you have gloves that are a little loose or you put hands in your pockets as long as there is air movement inside it seems to keep hands warm so why not feet?

On the boat, if it's truly cold I prefer something I can pull off easy and quality warm socks like Simms. For below 40° I prefer watching old Bill Dance reruns in the den.  ;D

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FlatsNBay

In Florida, I switch from a flip flop to a sneaker in the winter. I hope that helps!  ~roflmao

Princeton_Man

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 18, 2024, 03:38:04 PMIn Florida, I switch from a flip flop to a sneaker in the winter. I hope that helps!  ~roflmao

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao :'(

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 18, 2024, 03:38:04 PMIn Florida, I switch from a flip flop to a sneaker in the winter. I hope that helps!  ~roflmao

There's one in every crowd

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Captsteve

Too funny

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Mike Cork

I used to could, then I hit 55  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on January 17, 2024, 08:03:38 PMhad bates many times, im sure Mike did too as a flightline guy. 

Joe, you are thinking exactly like me. I don't necessarily need a full boot but rather an "warmer" tennis shoe?

Cork's Reel Service

skidemn

When I used to do a lot of skiing, I wore Ugg boots at the end of the days when the ski boots came off. They kept my feet super warm and toasty, but they are too loose to fish in on a boat.  I wonder if they make a tighter fitting boot these bays that offers that kind of warmth and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Francis

Wear empty bread bags over your socks inside your tennis shoes.

Molon Labe

caddyjoe77

Quote from: Larry Francis on January 22, 2024, 08:05:15 AMWear empty bread bags over your socks inside your tennis shoes.

ahh interesting. I think I heard this before but forgot about it. 

Your feet dont sweat?
BeerMe

Dark3

Been wearing Timberland hiking boots for about 25 years. I might try a pair of Solomons soon. These look really cool. With the snow we have low top shoes arent really an option. Im in the market for a used snowmobile to ride out on the lakes and around the neighborhood so I might give these a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caddyjoe77

those look good Dark.  I may be able to work with those!  Dont like being on the front deck with really cold water and clunky ass boots
BeerMe

J.W.

I wear my hunting boots (Danner Sierras) with wool socks. They are insulated. Not the best solution if you find boots to be clunky, but they're warm and already in the closet.

I have heard of several anglers wearing just wool socks in the boat and taking their shoes off, claiming it's actually warmer, but I've never tried it since I don't have carpet. I'm sure my aluminum deck would be pretty chilly without shoes.

Larry Francis

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on January 22, 2024, 08:23:44 AM
Quote from: Larry Francis on January 22, 2024, 08:05:15 AMWear empty bread bags over your socks inside your tennis shoes.

ahh interesting. I think I heard this before but forgot about it. 

Your feet dont sweat?

Depends on how warm or cold it is. but this will keep them warm
Molon Labe