Debate question on fairness.

Started by topdsm0138, March 18, 2024, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

Ok, let's have a civil discussion on whether or not something is right or fair in our hobby and why you feel that way.

Context: As some saw my local report from Saturday, I caught a few decent bass, in a very short time, at my local lake. Now, little did I know that a local club was having a mini-tournament that day. I met and had short conversations with quite a few people fishing from their boats, as I was wading. These guys asked the normal questions any fisherman does about an area like "How deep does this lake get?", "What's the bottom like?", "What are you using for bait?"and "What's your favorite lure out here?". You know, just friendly sportsman banter.

Now here's where the question of debate for you comes into play. One of my fishing buddies had mentioned the event, and I replied, "Oh, yeah, I talked to a few of them throughout afternoon." and mentioned their questions. He claims that you should NEVER talk to ANY angler in a tournament EVER because that's unfair and a form of cheating.

So, would that be considered cheating or unfair? Or is it just a couple of sportsmen having a chat? And why do you think so?

Me, I saw it as nothing more than if someone asked me, "Did you catch anything?" Or "Is the fishing any good?" Because I can tell you everything about my local chains, but that doesn't guarantee that you will catch anything.

Tiller Mafia.

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Hobious

I once kayak amongst a bunch of tournament bass guys.  I was crushing them on a drop shot with a 6" green pumpkin lizard.

one guys whispered, "are you drop shooting a lizard?".  I thought it was weird he whispered.  maybe that's why?!!  I would have tossed him a pack if he asked.  he was the only boater not mad-dogging me.  or commenting.

I was like an annoying gnat.  hahah.

Capt. BassinLou

In this scenario Josh, I don't see that you did anything wrong. You were just a nice angler doing his thing.  However. If there are rules against gathering or receiving fishing reports the day of competition in this particular club that was having the tournament. The anglers that were asking you the questions are in the wrong.

Mike Cork

I'm all about sharing information, whether giving or getting, it's how we all learn. I'm with Lou, it's on the other guy if there is a rule in their club, not on you to know or police.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

caddyjoe77

its on the tournament anglers, as has been stated
BeerMe

J.W.

Many tournaments/leagues have rules against soliciting information from non-competitors, but not all of them. If there were such a rule, those anglers that were asking the questions would've been in violation, like Lou said. Maybe they did not have such a rule, though.

Even when there is a rule against soliciting info, most leagues understand that sometimes people give unsolicited info to the tournament anglers at the ramp or the gas station, just your typical "dock talk," but there is usually an expectation that the angler try to stop or divert that conversation.

FD

Since I live on a heavily tournament fished body of water, I see this all the time. 

If I'm sitting on the dock and someone comes by, I'll ask how the fishing is and if they are in a tourney.  I give unsolicited info out if they are friendly.  It's up to them to tell me if they can't get info during the tournament.
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

topdsm0138

Thanks guys, as this is good info for anyone who's ever had this thought. IF I had known about the tourney, I would have still had a friendly conversation as sportsmen do, but I probably wouldn't have been so upfront with my info. IE: I probably would have answered the depth question with "This lake was dredged out to use the sand in building the interstate.", to make them think and study their depthfinders more.

But then again, if you didn't know about the event, how are you to distinguish Pro from Regular Joe? Some of these boats were no different than my average aluminum vhull, just looked like normal guys enjoying their day.

Tiller Mafia.

J.W.

Quote from: topdsm0138 on March 19, 2024, 06:47:16 PMBut then again, if you didn't know about the event, how are you to distinguish Pro from Regular Joe? Some of these boats were no different than my average aluminum vhull, just looked like normal guys enjoying their day.

You didn't do anything wrong. It's not your responsibility to sort any of that out.

D.W. Verts

Awww man, that's too much. There's a huge difference in folks visiting on a lake and pro guys getting info that is really against the rules. This world of EVERYTHING is getting too complicated for me...

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Donald Garner

Quote from: J.W. on March 20, 2024, 09:30:35 AM
Quote from: topdsm0138 on March 19, 2024, 06:47:16 PMBut then again, if you didn't know about the event, how are you to distinguish Pro from Regular Joe? Some of these boats were no different than my average aluminum v-hull, just looked like normal guys enjoying their day.

You didn't do anything wrong. It's not your responsibility to sort any of that out.

Tournament fishing clubs have rules about this subject.  Like mentioned by the guys you did nothing wrong here.  I've shared information with fellow anglers all the time during a fun day of fishing.  I've have a couple trips that were 'Saved' by a guy sharing a tip with me  ;)

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

topdsm0138

See, and that's where part of the dilemma is. (Put the event aside)  Do you be a good sportsman and be cordial, or do you be "that guy" and be a "snob"?..

I understand what DW is saying in the fact of HOW is anyone who is just a Weeknd Warrior or Bank Hopper, supposed to know or distinguish who is or isn't part of an event? Maybe Clubs should have some temporary "decal" for their vessel with something along the lines of "Tournament Participants." Maybe that would make them stand out to where people would know better than to help, in a sense. 

Tiller Mafia.

FlatsNBay

I'm always polite but intentionally vague. Problem solved! 😂