Daiwa Silver Wolf PE Special?

Started by J.W., May 01, 2024, 09:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Anyone played with one of these? I have several rods I'm building that will need reels, so I just ordered one.

Looks like a JDM Zillion SV TW that's been modified with "magsealed" bearings, a faster level wind for cris-crossing braid onto the spool (supposedly prevents line dig-in), and a shallower spool. Apparently was aimed at shore fishing for black sea bream in Japan, hence the sealed bearings on these. I don't particularly care about the sealed bearings but the faster level wind appealed to me since I fish with 15-20 lb braid A LOT. Was going to order either another Curado MGL or Tatula SV TW, but ended up doing something weird instead. I am thinking it'll especially make a good pitching and skipping reel with the shallow spool and the fast level wind.

Hobious

I want one. Looks sick but I badly have Zillion money.  The Hookup Tackle sells it and it comes with a free Boost spool so you can use different line.

J.W.

Oh, you can get them a lot cheaper on Amazon, Digitaka, and some other sites. They won't come with the extra spool though.

J.W.

Ok. That Silver Wolf came in today. I was kind of shocked at just how shallow that spool actually is. I was really concerned that I would throw all the line off of it, but I spooled it up with some 15 lb PowerPro and threw some bomb casts outside with a 1/2 oz jig. Even throwing as far as I could, it still had plenty of braid left on the spool for any bank fishing applications. I may be silly, but I am digging the clicking drag. It's going on a rod I am currently building. Rod ought to be done in another day or two, so I plan on fishing with it this weekend. 

Mike Cork

I don't use Daiwa at all but this reel looks like it could change my mind  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Hobious

the clicker drag.  I have it on my Zillion.  truthfully, I don't even notice it.

J.W.

Didn't get to go this past weekend, but went a little while yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, no bites on that setup. The reel casts and retrieves well, but I can't comment yet on how it behaves in a fight. I do have to set the brakes higher than I do on the other Daiwas I have, I guess because of the shallow spool being faster.

You cannot view this attachment.