Thought on Spinning Reel's Drag System.

Started by greenpig, August 07, 2023, 06:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpig

hi forum.
as for spinning reel's drag system.
how about the drag system to Rotor(which is one body of line roller & Bail) itself.
that means Rotor can rotate reverse as adjusted drag power.

ofcourse current Rotor can reverse freely only by switch.(not as a drag)
what I mean was as drag system which can be adjustable. The Rotor rotate reversely
weakly or powerfully like any other drag system to Reel.

drag on reel meaning something false rotating not precisely as fixed.
so in this case,handle arm's bearing part which can be false rotating like Baitcaster reel.
while Rotor also reversely rotate by drag adjusted level while retrieve.

and in this case, setting drag could be done to current's anti-reverse swith part
as round dial. which could be easily quick asscessible while retrieving or normally
by using middle finger which grab whole Rotor or not.

if reel back handling,it's not totally stuck like other, but you can still reel back as much with drag you set.

simply put, how about you can rotate Rotor reversely not by switch but as a drag system.
tightly or loosely.

as a result,you can backreeling with flexible drag which is controlable of its rate like any other drag on reel.

Smallie_Stalker

I like the idea. Especially since more and more spinning reels are being released with no anti-reverse switch.

I'm a fan of back reeling and not having that switch means the rotor only moves in one direction. Traditional drags can freeze or sieze and I like having the option to flip that switch and back reel.

Your idea would be the best of both worlds.

Having choices is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

I'm good with how things are.  it is so simple and it works. 

Apoc81

Quote from: Hobious on August 07, 2023, 12:23:38 PMI'm good with how things are.  it is so simple and it works. 

Yup. And when you're fishing in constantly changing conditions, you want as little that can go wrong as possible. There is no need whatsoever to add more technology and parts to reels. I already hate Shimano's DC system(and I love Shimano reels).

With the price of high end reels now, the last thing we need is more unnecessary technology to drive up prices. I'm already waiting to get pinched on the new M series Curado.

Mike Cork

I'm all about innovation and looking for improvements but the current drag system on a spinning reel is so simple and works so perfectly. Lots of places to look at improving a spinning reel in my opinion. For example, even the most expensive spinning reels use a plastic or hard rubber ramp system to return the bail after casting, this wears out and a a high dollar reels now requires parts and a repair shop.

Bail spins have come a long way and are now fail proof, if we could just get the bail return system just as fail proof.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Hobious

I like the Shimano DC stuff.  it is just the correct amount of tech.  smart system.  generates it's own electricity and uses it to slow things down.  very smart and innovative. 

I fall in the innovate or perish category.  always moving forward.