Spinning reel has locked up

Started by WataugaLaker, October 17, 2017, 08:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WataugaLaker

I just got back from fishing salt water all week and I rinsed my reels off frequently the whole trip but once I got home both of my spinning reels have completely locked up. Is there any hope to fix them or just cut my losses?

Mike Cork

Well it's going to be the anti reverse bearing mechanism, or the handle bearings. All this adds up pretty quick. How much do you have invested?

You can take the side plate off and spray the crap out of them with your favorite break free penetration product and see if it helps.

Bottom line is cost, fixing them will run 14-20 bucks a bearing and most spinning reels these days have at least 4. Now how many are froze up is unknown at this point. But if salt damage got to one, all will have at least some damage.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

WataugaLaker

Thanks for the help, it's a Trion and a cheaper Lew's so I'm just gonna cut my losses. That's why I didn't take any of my pricier reels on this trip.

LgMouthGambler

This is the main reason that I say to spend 50-70 on a spinning reel, then toss it in the trash when its done.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

AowlowLdow

ring mechanism, or the handle bearings. All this adds up p