I want a 18-20 ft with dual console and a 150 hp motor, what to buy?

Started by pikeman59, October 07, 2013, 01:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman59

I just joined this great forum and I really need all Your input. I am from Stockholm, Sweden and I fish mainly for pike, walleye and seatrout in the archipelago and on the big rivers in Sweden. I have had many boats but now is the time for a bassboat, specially designed for fishing. I want a boat 18-20 ft with dual console and at least 150 hp. maybe more.  ;D  I used to compete in offshore racing here in Sweden for about 10 years, that was 15 years ago but i still have the need for speed. Some times I fish rough water so I need a boat that handles really choppy water. I am going to Florida in jan-feb 2014 and my goal is to buy a boat and ship it to Sweden.
The are so many models and You guys are the experts so........    :help:

Thanks

Sven aka Pikeman
Pikeman

Craig314

Welcome to UB, lots of great people here. We need a little more info to lead you in the right direction. Are we talking a new boat or are you thinking used? 18' boat is good for 150, but 19' and up you will need more motor. Words of wisdom is max HP for the boat you are getting, better to have to much than wish you had more.  For what you are wanting i would go with a mulitispecies boat, I am biased to Rangers and the 620 and 621 would fit for what you are wanting.

http://www.rangerboats.com/multispecies/

Good luck in your search and we would love some photo's of where you fish and what you catch.
A bad day fishin beats a good day workin!!!! or as my daddy says when all else fails use dynamite!

fishinfranklin

Welcome to UB!! There is lots of boats that will fit your needs. As suggested the multi species boats
are really nice to me due to the no carpet and has a gel finished interior. Rangers, Champion, Skeeter
and Legend are all know to handle big water good. What year and price ranger are looking at??
I see good deals on nice bass boats on craigslist thru out Florida.   

pikeman59

Thanks guys. I will be more than happy to post some pics.
I am in the market for a used one and the price range is somewhere between 10-20.000 USD. Its OK with an older well maintaned low hours boat if I could find one. Surfing around today I saw the Nitro nx 882 dc and it looked really nice.  :)
Pikeman

fishinfranklin

I guess one thing we should have ask is what engine parts are avaibile to you there in Sweden?
In the price range you set there is some really nice boats out there. Not sure what part of Florida
your coming to. But I see lots of deals in Jacksonville, Lakeland and Orlando on craigslist. I scan craigslist from central Fl. to central Ga. almost daily. There is one dealer I think in the Gainesville Fl. section that keeps a good selection of used Rangers.

pikeman59

I can get parts for all brands here in Sweden, currently I am running a Suzuki 60 DFA and I raced with Mercurys and that is my favorite brand.  ~c~
Do You recommend that I buy a boat from a dealer or a private seller? I will be mostly around Fort Lauderdale but I dont mind to  travel 2-300 miles if that means finding the right boat. Is Craigslist the best way to find a boat or are there other good forums on the net?
Pikeman

fishinfranklin

I would prefer to buy from a private seller myself. There is other boat listings such as boattrader.com

Craig314

Can u get parts for trailer and boat where are? Need to take that into account. Nitro is a good boat , the fit n finish is not as good as others, how cold does it get, in Alaska they use a lot of tin boats cause they hold up better in that rough climate.
A bad day fishin beats a good day workin!!!! or as my daddy says when all else fails use dynamite!

pikeman59

We have long winter in Stockholm, the boatfishing season is roughly from the beginning of april to the end of november. There are some aluminiumboats around but most boats are fiberglass ones.
No problem getting spare parts here.  :)

Apparently not so common with dual console boats, most of the boats I found are single console ones. 
::)
Pikeman

Craig314

I look forward to seeing some of your photo's. Check out the 620 Ranger, very good boat for what your going to use it for. Most are dual models, but not sure there alot of those in Fla, they are used a lot in our northern states as walleye and pike boats. Guys in Fla could give you a better idea there.