Best First Bass Boat

Started by golfmonke, March 23, 2017, 01:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfmonke

So i've been fishing out of a 14' Mercury Inflatable w/ 25HP Evinrude for the last 5+ years.

I've got a trolling motor on the transom, but really difficult to control the boat from there and the wind pushes it around pretty bad, and there is very little inside space.

Although it is very stable, i'm looking to step up into a bass boat.

I was wondering people's opinions on what I should get.

So far i've been thinking of getting an 18'

I've been considering a new aluminum or a used fiberglass.

I will be leaving it my dock full time at a roughly 13000 acre lake, so I was considering the rawhide or vinyl interior on the aluminum, and for the fiberglass i'd be removing the carpet and putting in tough coat or the like.

gatorglenn

There are tons of options out there. But it sounds like what you need is a aluminum with a spray in liner coating. The best doing it right now is seark or war eagle or the cookie cutters ranger,Triton,Lowe,Crestliner. All of these will be about 10k less than fiberglass. And done just go fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

golfmonke

I see, I have been checking out the Ranger RT 188's , Tracker 195 TXW and Lund Renegade 1875

Why are you leaning towards the aluminum over the fiberglass?

gatorglenn

They can actually go places fiberglass can't go and shallower water. More durable over the long-haul without doing gelcoat work to fiberglass boats. And a lot less maintenance involved. I've had glass and aluminum and I will not go back to class. But that's just me others feel different. I fish the same size waters as you do and it's really not needed for a big high horse power Glass boat. But ultimately by exactly what makes you happy. If you think you're settling for something then don't buy buy what you want.

06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

golfmonke

When you say a lot less maintenance involved, what do you mean?

I like the aluminum , because i've heard you can bump into stuff and not worry as much about damage.  But to be honest have no idea if it's actually true.

If somebody offered me a free aluminum or a free fiberglass, I really wouldn't care too much which one I had, but I have no experience with either.

It just feels like 25+k for an aluminum boat is crazy, but maybe it's not.

My other thought is buy a < 10K fiberglass and if/when I have to repower it's still be less than the cost of a new aluminum

Polaris425

Get you a used BassCat Sabre... You'll love it.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Bud Kennedy

Golfmonke, Sounds like you have a lot of looking to do.  Comparing aluminum to fiberglass is an apples and oranges deal.  You need to think about how you are going to use your new boat.  Can you bump into stuff with an aluminum.  Sure but it is not a tank.  Most aluminums are fairly thin so bumping into anything is not something you want to do with either style hull.  If you are fishing a single lake and now traveling around to big lakes and you intention is just as a casual family deal then save your money and get an aluminum.  If you are going to use the boat to fish for perch, crappie, catfish or other species using live bait then perhaps a v hull aluminum might fit your style best.  Jumping straight to a bass boat without really understanding how you are gonna use the boat is risky.  What can you tell us about how you intend to use the boat, where are you gonna keep it and describe the water you are planning to run.   I own fiberglass but have considered aluminum but I really like the solid platform of a fiberglass bass boat.  Tell us more.

golfmonke

I've actually got the how i'm going to use it part down....

I will be using it to bass fish 100% , on my home lake for fun and in some small tournaments, as well as some other tournaments locally, Falls Lake, Jordan, Shearon Harris, Kerr, High Rock would be the lakes.

I have no plans on trying on becoming a serious tournament fisherman, just for some fun and competition.

golfmonke

The boat will stay in my dock on the lake.

gatorglenn

Buying one boat because it's used to compare to a price of a new boat well you could do that the other way and just buy a $10,000 aluminum boat. Basically if you know how you're going to use it you need to find out what would best work for your application for you to be happy whether it's aluminum or fiberglass. Then look at your budget and see what fits in it for what style of boat you are looking for. basically aluminum or fiberglass really is it the question here it's what you want in your fishing day and will provide you with the best way to get that job done. When I say I will never go back to fiberglass that is not because I don't like them it's because it would not fit good in my fishing right now. I fish a lot of places that you just cannot take the fiberglass boat without knocking holes in it. The boat is a tool just like your electronics and fishing gear. Looking at it from that mindset should make it a lot easier.

06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

golfmonke

ah, you're right , except the older aluminum boats are pretty narrow and unstable the newer ones have increased the beam, so that's why i was thinking new aluminum vs used fiberglass.  but ur right it'd probably be good enough for a guy who can't catch that many fish anyway 😝

Oldfart9999

A glass boat will cost more to run, an aluminum will get moved around more in the wind, glass is generally more stable, aluminum means you can get back in behind that dock over there and have a shot at the 6 lber the glass guys drool over. I own a deep v multi species boat, in the wind I can beat many sail boats. lo It all comes down to what do you want do, what are you asking of the boat. I would be very happy with an aluminum bass boat, I fish for fun and maybe an occasional tx on some lakes the Elites use and when the wind isn't against me on Lake Ontario, a Great Lake, I tow, another factor. I know, clear as mud, talk with some folks where you are at with different boats, you'll learn a lot.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Va_Hawghunter

I fish tournaments on all the lakes you mentioned, I myself prefer the glass, I have a stratos and love it, not really familiar with aluminum boats, never been in one, just knowing those lakes, my vote is glass

There is nothing like time on the water.

coldfront

Quote from: golfmonke on March 23, 2017, 01:57:20 PM
When you say a lot less maintenance involved, what do you mean?

I like the aluminum , because i've heard you can bump into stuff and not worry as much about damage.  But to be honest have no idea if it's actually true.

If somebody offered me a free aluminum or a free fiberglass, I really wouldn't care too much which one I had, but I have no experience with either.

It just feels like 25+k for an aluminum boat is crazy, but maybe it's not.

My other thought is buy a < 10K fiberglass and if/when I have to repower it's still be less than the cost of a new aluminum

\you could always go the 'grizzly' route through BassPro.  Basic aluminum...hang an outboard on the back...put a TM up front.

you haven't talked about whether or not you will take the battery out to charge... or leave it in and charge on the water.

then too, one of the big values of my boat, is it's job as floating tacklestorage.  Not sure I'd want to leave all my tackle out there 'all the time' ... even IF I locked it up.

so I don't.  I keep my boat in my garage when not out on the water.

Kris

What Rodney and others say is true.  Glass board cost more to operate.  Aluminum boats cost less to purchase and operate usually.  Another thing that you need to take into consideration is you tow vehicle.  You wouldn't want to tow a 20 foot or more fiberglass guided missile with a 20 year old, 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive vehicle. 
Of you intend to fish a large body of water that is subject to high winds and waves, maybe an aluminum boat is not a good choice.  Of you intend to fish small bodies of water a 20 footer is probably not your best choice.
For example, I have a 16 foot aluminum that I fish reservoirs here in Maryland thatI usually pull with my V6 Jeep Liberty.  My only problem I believe is the difference in wheel bases makes backing strange sometimes.  I also have an 18 foot Ranger that I can probably put in your pocket from past experience.
My suggestion is to buy the best choice for your present situation.  I believe a 14 foot Jon boat will probably seem like a dance hall inside after your inflatable.  A 16 footer with a 4 foot wide floor will seem huge but maybe a best fit. 
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat