My Hobie Outback.

Started by Hobious, January 19, 2023, 01:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobious

trying to infuse some life into the small craft forum. :D

I had a Hobie Compass and loved it but I wanted some fish friendlier options so I got an Outback.  I fished it for a year.  all last year.  it has been fantastic.  I can get a tackle box under the seat where I couldn't on the Compass.  the seat is fine.  I put a stadium seat cushion on it and it took it to the next comfort level.  I can stand up on it easily.  I can cast and set the hook on my feet without falling out.  it is fast.  in the California Delta where the tidal currents and wind often work together to keep me from moving, I have yet to panic.  I once helped a Native guy making ZERO movement by towing him.  (with my Compass).  the Mirage drive is a water moving system.  my Outback is pretty water tight.  even at home when I hose it down, the hatches let in very little water.  a few drops. 

the only complaint.  the Outback is pretty sensitive to temperature changes.  my rudder goes from easy to turn to hard to turn dependent on temperature.  on very hot days, sometimes I even fight a tiny bit to push my Mirage drive down into the locks.  I think my boat swells and shrinks that much.

I can climb back in easily when I jump overboard to practice re-entry.  I can flip it back over if I turtle.  I will lose all my stuff tho, but not my life, hopefully.  I think the Outback is a good balance of portability and on the water balance.  it is not the floating dock a ProAngler is, but it is very stable. 

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks for the excellent review! Appreciate the info.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassmanRudy

Great review!! One of my biggest fears would be falling out on a hookset and losing my gear!! Does it need a trailer or do you load in a truck bed?

For the rudder thing when it's harder to use maybe add a quick spray of wd40 to the shaft before use?
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Hobious

Quote from: BassmanRudy on January 19, 2023, 03:43:44 PM
Great review!! One of my biggest fears would be falling out on a hookset and losing my gear!! Does it need a trailer or do you load in a truck bed?

For the rudder thing when it's harder to use maybe add a quick spray of wd40 to the shaft before use?

rudder is directly related to the ambient temps.  I have gotten used to it.

I just put my kayak in my Toyota Tacoma long bed.  I put the rudder side in first and hang the front on a bed extender.  I dont need the extender but I feel it gives me better security on bumpy roads.

BassmanRudy

Cool deal. I've seen those bumper extenders and they would help secure it when strapped.

I'm getting a float tube here soon for the little pond on base and maybe some other smaller lakes. Already have the waders and flippers. Will post some pics once it warms up and I start using it.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Princeton_Man

I've looked at them a few times and a kayak might be among my retirement toys. I prefer the electric drive and creature comfort models. I'd probably need to trailer anything I bought, but there's lots of small water I'd love to fish and can't put the Stratos in.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 19, 2023, 05:07:48 PM
I've looked at them a few times and a kayak might be among my retirement toys. I prefer the electric drive and creature comfort models. I'd probably need to trailer anything I bought, but there's lots of small water I'd love to fish and can't put the Stratos in.

Bonifide ss127. Love mine.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Hobious

you know what i recommend since i titled the thread with my model of choice.

there is no better water mover than the Hobie Turbo Mirage Drive.  i have towed a few prop kayaks in current and wind when they couldnt fight the opposite forces.