Knots you enjoy tying.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 18, 2021, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Garner

I tie the Palomar Knot 99% of the time.  Sometime I use a Snell Knot with using a Trokar Flipping Hook. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

ike8120

The Red Phillips,Crazy Alberto, Improved Clinch,Pitzen
Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

J.W.

Palomar on braid. No issues there. Easy knot, and it works. I have tried a few terminal knots on FC and can't decide which is best. Leaders get a uni-to-uni because I can't tie an FG to save my life.

Oldfart9999

To be honest I don't like tying knots anymore. Having unintentional tremors makes even the Palomar tough at times. I'm down to using the Palomar or uni.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

T-Rig

Pitzen and San Diego Jam Knot -- Quick and very easy to tie.

Good Fishing

Donald Garner

T-Rig,

Tks for sharing the knot tying video with here.  It was very informative.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

The Rooster

I tie just one knot. It's called the speed knot and is a variation of the Eugene knot. It's dead easy to tie and works with mono, fluorocarbon, and copolymer. Not sure about braid though. It's also very fast to tie, hence the name.

This is a good knot for people who don't have good finger dexterity or can't see well to focus. You put the line through the hook or lure eye, then hold the line between index finger and thumb, using two hands (main line from the rod in one and the tag end in the other) with the bait hanging down in between, making the line form a U shape. Then reach with the main line hand and grasp the tag somewhere in the middle, leaving a good long tag after the point of grasp, about 6" or so. Now you will be holding the top of the U between finger and thumb of the main line hand. Hold the tag down along side of the U in the other hand, and then use the bait weight to swing the looped U line around the tag end 4 times, then turn the tag up and pass it through the loop that's formed at the top after swinging around. Pull the line to draw it in some (it should start to look like a figure eight), then wet it with spit, and cinch it down. Trim the tag off when done.

I've never had this knot fail. Not even when setting the hook into a stump, and not even when I actually need it to fail so I can get unstuck. If I pull to the point of breakage, it always snaps in the middle somewhere because I don't ever see the little telltale J shape on the end to indicate knot failure after a breakoff.

EDIT - after all these years I have just discovered that what I have been tying is a San Diego Jam Knot, and I have been skipping a step, not passing the tag end through the bottom loop before passing through the top loop. I was unaware, as someone else showed me this knot and called it the speed knot. Still, it had never failed me, but now I think I will add in the extra step and see what happens.

FlatsNBay

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the double pitzen. It's the best knot for fluorocarbon and easy to tie.

The Rooster

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 17, 2024, 07:07:13 AMI'm surprised nobody's mentioned the double pitzen. It's the best knot for fluorocarbon and easy to tie.

Thanks. I looked up a video on this knot and it is easy. I'm gonna be using fluorocarbon this year so I'll be tying this now.

Wait a minute. I just went and tried to tie this knot after watching the video. I realized this is the knot I'm already tying except I'm not doubling the line, I'm just doing a single pass. I didn't realize because the video showed him making 3 wraps instead of 4, and he described it in such a way that I just didn't notice until I tried it.

FlatsNBay

Rooster, a quick and easy tip when tying a double pitzen with just a bare hook, hang a pair of scissors or something heavy from the hook. It I'll help you tie the knot simply and quickly. With a lure, there's enough weight.