I started making baits

Started by DanielG, June 29, 2020, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielG

I started making baits about 8 months ago. I make everything except the hooks. Here is my latest one.

And here is a link to my youtube video that shows it being made.

DanielG

Here's another one. It's a weird one I think but it went well. I don't know why I decided on the eyes that way but I just wanted to make some different eyes for a change.

And another youtube link to the build.

DanielG

And a few more.....

With build videos

Donald Garner

Nice looking baits there.  Tks for sharing the pictures with.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

DanielG

Quote from: Donald Garner on June 29, 2020, 07:10:27 PM
Nice looking baits there.  Tks for sharing the pictures with.

Thanks, still figuring it out. I've got a few that move good in the water. Also a few pretty ones that really don't!

zippyduck

Very nice looking baits. A true artist!
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

bigjim5589

DanielG Welcome to Ultimate Bass and the Tackle Box forum! Great looking lures!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Good to have another tackle maker here!

Thanks for posting the crankbaits you're making and the video is very cool!

If you haven't already checked around in here, I pour jigs & other lead and tie flies, and there's a few more here who also pour some of their own jigs.  We also have some folks who pour some plastics.

We won't hold it against you when you do weird things with your colors schemes!  lo
Sometimes, that's all it takes, is doing something different and what no one else is doing!  :-*

Glad to have you here and looking forward to seeing more of your very interesting lures!  ~1

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

DanielG

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 29, 2020, 09:24:30 PM
DanielG Welcome to Ultimate Bass and the Tackle Box forum! Great looking lures!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Good to have another tackle maker here!

Thanks for posting the crankbaits you're making and the video is very cool!

If you haven't already checked around in here, I pour jigs & other lead and tie flies, and there's a few more here who also pour some of their own jigs.  We also have some folks who pour some plastics.

We won't hold it against you when you do weird things with your colors schemes!  lo
Sometimes, that's all it takes, is doing something different and what no one else is doing!  :-*

Glad to have you here and looking forward to seeing more of your very interesting lures!  ~1

Thanks. Oh, I've got some weird ones for sure. I've only made a handful but some are strange.

bigjim5589

Quote from: DanielG on June 29, 2020, 10:29:21 PM
Thanks. Oh, I've got some weird ones for sure. I've only made a handful but some are strange.

I've been at this a long time and know a lot of folks who make lures. From what you've posted, there's nothing really weird that I saw. Unique maybe, but not really weird. I've seen some really weird stuff too!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

DanielG

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 29, 2020, 10:37:15 PM
I've been at this a long time and know a lot of folks who make lures. From what you've posted, there's nothing really weird that I saw. Unique maybe, but not really weird. I've seen some really weird stuff too!  lo

For example:

And of course the video that goes with it. But ya know... it does work.

Polaris425

Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Oldfart9999

Those look good, do I see tooth marks on some? Weird, have you seen some of the soft plastics or buzzbaits? lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

DanielG

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on June 30, 2020, 07:21:31 AM
Those look good, do I see tooth marks on some? Weird, have you seen some of the soft plastics or buzzbaits? lo lo
Rodney

Ya, a couple got in a tussle with some pickerel. Not a common fish where I go but in the weeds once and awhile. I fish soft plastics too but right now I'm trying to figure out how these things I'm making work. So far so good.
The finish is UV Resin so it's pretty tough stuff.
Thnx.

DanielG

This was one of my early ones. And early means about 4 months ago as I haven't been doing this long. It looks like it came out alright but the movement is sort of front heavy. i.e. it wobbles from the front so it looks like the tail waggles form the eye back.

Anyway, like the others it's all hand made, including the eyes. Pine, airbrushed, UV finish.

And the video of the build...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGBdVcCxPk&list=UU-qZ7BoBF0koMNhvG_tMcag&index=29

DanielG

I dug up a picture of my first bait. Actually my second. The very first had an epoxy mixing issue and is still curing months later so it's a bust. I remade it and got the finish right this time. It's still the bait that catches the most for me ironically.