Budget Rods you can't help but love.

Started by topdsm0138, September 05, 2022, 05:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

Welcome to all the longtime members, new members and lurkers alike. To the new guys and lurkers, yes we have a Staff filled with mainly professionals, but don't be discouraged. They have started where all us Weekend Warriors, Bank Bombers and Tin Can Crew have been and will always be happy to give you the tips, tricks and tools to get to the next level. But, this thread is Ultimately (Site pun intended) for you. As not all of us can afford the top notch rods and reels (doesn't stop us from dreaming though. ) but we still have that favorite combo that gets our job done.

So what is your favorite "budget" or big box store rod and reel combo that has always been your go-to or never let you down?

For myself, I have always had The Berkley Lightning Rods (not the Shock, the Regular Series w/cork handles), usally topped with a lower priced Quantum or BPS Megacast reel.

Have fun and Tight Lines.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

BassmanRudy

For spinning an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod usually paired with a Quantim Throttle reel. Under $100 easy there.

Combo already put together a Pfluger Trion. It's less than $70 and I've had some over 20 years!

Baitcasters I've used a Ton of Carbonlites with Pro qualifier reels.

Never heard anything bad about the Lightning rods. Matter of fact I told my cousin who's really getting into bass fishing that he couldn't go wrong with picking up 5/6 of those rods covering multiple options and be good to go.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

bigjim5589

Well, I'm certainly not a pro!  lo  There was a post similar to this one awhile back, and my one answer then was the same as it is now. I had purchased a couple of Shimano FX series spinning rods for two of my sons many years ago, with reels and the rods turned out to be great. I don't remember if the reels were the FX series or not, and they only lasted a few years, but we used those rods for several years. I think I still have one of them. Very budget friendly and especially for young kids. I've bought at least one of those rods since then too.

This is a very inexpensive rod, possibly one of the least costly that Shimano sells. It's e-glass and not what anyone might consider as sensitive, but they sure are durable, and work well for what we used them for, which was primarily dunking bait.

Another budget rod that I've had, and several of them, is the Daiwa Beefstick, although I don't use them for bass fishing. I bought them in different lengths for our occasional vacation trips where we went to the beach and could do some surf fishing and mostly with baits. These are again fiberglass types of rods, built like tanks, but not real great fit or trim. They're similar to some of the Uglystick rods, except cost even less.  I've used one of them at times to heave big wood Striper plugs, so that one has gotten use other than drowning bait.  Surf anglers have rods that they call heavers as that's all they want to do with them, heave a heavy weight, hook, & bait with them, and these fit that label perfectly.  lo

My third budget rods have been Bass Pro Shops Extreme series casting rods. I own several of them too, and they're what I use most for bass fishing. They're a bit heavy compared to better rods on the market, like Dobyn's, but have been good rods for me, and what I have are now several years old. They're a rod normally in the $100 range, which for me was a budget purchase, but I have no complaints at all about them.  That's also one of the rods that BPS often had on sale during their Spring Fling and you could get them for around $70.  I don't think I ever did buy one during that sale however.  ~b~
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pferox

I use a bunch of cheap rods, mostly because I'm a shore and pier fisherman and those activities are rough on rods.
I use a couple cheaper Penn Reels that I ran across on clearance for less than 25 bucks once, and after 10 years, they are just about wore out.
I paid $7 for a couple Shimano Rods, 7 foot Medium Coach Whip. They were two piece rods and a saltwater forum I used to follow had us run a few thread wraps around the ferrule to reinforce them a bit so they wouldn't bust apart.  I used them for a few years and then gave them to a couple of kids that were fishing with busted up rods and reels.
There is a place around here that has a barrel with rods that have been repaired and unclaimed or clearance stuff.  I got a couple of those Beef sticks and still use them for bull reds and drum.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

FD

I still have an original Lightning with a Pfluger president reel that I bought early 2000s thay won't die.  I can't tell you how many dozens of people have learned to fish with that thing.  It still sits proudly in the rack ready to go back in the game.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Oldfart9999

I have mostly BPS Carbonlites with BPS PRO QUALIFIERS and am happy with them. When I needed an outfit I usually waited for the spring sale and got them at a nice savings.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

topdsm0138

Another budget combo that served me well was the Abu Garcia Black Max casting combo (original version). I got a chance to see the new one, but it just doesn't feel the same as the original version.

But for less then 80 bucks, it's a decent starter to learn on.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

FlatsNBay

Powell Diesel crankbait rod. It's the best $70 I ever spent. I plan on replacing it with an updated version but it just won't quit!!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

1ReelFanatik

I have a 6' Berkley Lightning spinning rod.  Foam grips.  Model LR30-6'F, Lure wt 1/8-3/8 oz. paired with a Penn 430SS.  I assume the 'F' refers to Fast action.  This rod isn't even close to fast.  It has caught more fish than all my new rods (since 2009) added together.  I can't remember anymore if I had it when I got married, or if I bought it shortly afterwards.  I've been married just over 46-1/2 years.