First experience with braid, mixed feelings, fun read

Started by SteelHorseCowboy, July 26, 2017, 09:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

Quote from: TWBryan on August 18, 2017, 11:08:11 AM
Feeling tempted by a Fenwick rod,but don't know much about them.  :-\
I've got 4 Fenwick rods. 2 Aetos one older model and one of the new. Also I have 2 old crankbait rods.

I really like the new Aetos model. It is a much lighter rod than the previous model from what I can tell. The new Aetos rod I have is a 7' medium with a fast tip and is a sensitive rod in my opinion. The older Aetos is a good rod it's a MH Moderate rod and it fishes great. It's what they suggested for spinnerbaits. I was just learning back then about all the new 100 rod selection stuff. But it actually fishes spinnerbaits quite well. In all fairness I did tell them I was needing a "universal" rod that I would be using a lot of spinnerbaits on as I was just buying one rod back then. I'm just spoiled to lighter rods now days so it doesn't see a lot of use.

The two crankbait rods I have are great for light cranks a 1.5 square bill is about perfect but I don't like heavier baits on them although they will work just get to much whip. I have had these a long time and caught 6+ lb bass with no problem. So durability is great.

In all fairness I'd take some of the new Aetos rods in a heartbeat if they were at a awesome price. But since coming to UB I have found the Dobyns store to have some exceptionally good deals and the rods I have purchased are doing great. So by buying from Dobyns I support the forum, get great deals and If needed Ive seen Gary himself help here in the forums.

So it's just a win all around for me to use Dobyns as long as I can find the rods I need at a comperable price. And that has been no problem with the mislabeled rods, discontinued rods, and rep samples. Not to mention the numerous product lines for each budget.

Hope this helps with the temptation.  ~roflmao

TWBryan

Steve tx,I love this environment of enablers here. ;) The one I'm looking at is a fenwick hmg casting rod,6' medium heavy,fast action. It's probably one of their cheaper models. I like the looks of the Dobyns rods,but they are outside my budget. :)

Steelhorse,had a second so I pulled old 5000 out,took it apart and took some pictures. I found the wrong drag washers were in place,so I changed them. Cut an old one down to fit. Noticed the brake blocks were missing,so I put a couple in. I still think it's missing a drag washer and maybe a spacer washer.

Got the axle ends on the 5500c3 and 4600c3 polished. Did the best I could anyway. Now I'm out of reels to work on. Probably paw through the old reels box and find something to work on...

Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

SteelHorseCowboy

What's the foot number on it?
And I'm going to have to see how cheaply I can put clothes and shoes on these kids before anything else. Losing all my overtime hurt more than I expected.

TWBryan

Steelhorse, foot# is 334715. I can certainly hang on to it until you get some money. :). Of course if I get bored I might start working on the darn thing. ;)
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.