Line Discussion: What do you use and why?

Started by mygreenihc, April 04, 2022, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldjim

I only use mono on some top waters that float as it does not sink
oldjim

jwkelley51

I'm all braid to leader on spinners because it's easy to break off when I'm hung up and I can use different line weights and materials when I want to throw different techniques. Is it just me or does fluro not cast as far as the copolymer I used to use on baitcasters? It is more sensitive no doubt but I can't seem to toss it as far. I've got the reels backed off all the way and it's still not flying off. Maybe it's stiffer and has more drag? Maybe my reels need pro cleaning?

CountBassula

when I first got back into fishing many years ago and got my first bait caster I was all braid all the time, then again living in S. FL. I was mostly going after snakeheads since they're easier to catch and in my opinion way more fun than bass... the way they go after topwater swimbaits is insane: the wake and the blowups!
I then focused more on bass and still had braid on all my reels. usually 30, 50 or 60 pound depending what they had in store any given day.

then one day few years ago I got another setup from @LMGambler and it had hi-viz mono on it, 12 pounds I think, and I was all out of braid so I was like the hell with it I'll try it... and then I fell in love with mono :) for me it casts better, IF it backlashes I can more easily straighten it out (with braid I often had to resolve to pulling the spool out and cutting bunch of line, with mono i just pull on it and it slips right past the knots), and the feel of it is just as good to me as braid.

now, I have lost more snakeheads since switching sadly, but if I'm quick about it I'll be fine. proof is in the FL Bass Fishing Reports ;) and I realized that outside of rare thick vegetation situations 10 pound line holds up just fine even if the fish I catch swims into weeds or grass which is common where I fish and I am still able to pull it out and land it on shore.

so now I use Sufix mono on all my reels. I tried 6, 8, 10, and 12 pound lines. and the sweet spot of strength and casting distance for me is the 10 pound line, so that's what I have on ALL my reels now, though I may buy another reel since I have a spare rod sitting around and put braid on it to have 1 dedicated rig for snakeheads.
, , ,

muzz

Braid, been using braid of some sort for the last 20 years or so.

coldfront

Quote from: CountBassula on May 12, 2022, 10:23:54 AM... and I realized that outside of rare thick vegetation situations 10 pound line holds up just fine even if the fish I catch swims into weeds or grass which is common where I fish and I am still able to pull it out and land it on shore.

mono also lets you get IN to some pretty heavy wood cover too.  the key for mono, flouro:  check for abrasions, knicks...  after you get the fish IN THE BOAT.
figure most folks use those heavier lines cause they don't have to pay as close attention to the line, and retie as often.  but that's my opinion.  I do prefer longer casts with lighter lines (mono, flouro, braid)...

so I don't go 'gorilla strength' on most of my lines.

Esox obsessed

On my one setup which is my main rod where i mostly through the wacky rig,dropshot,live bait i use straight 12lb seagaur invisx due to me fishing places with current i need the heavier sinking rate and to save time so i dont have to retie leaders because i fish places with snags(unless im trout or carp fishing i use a steel leader because of esox and the flash of a silver leader attracts fish in my opinion

(On my muskie rod/rod where i use my big expensive lures i use braid right to a steel leader because i will mainly be using lures where im not worried about stretch or visiblity because of the lure)

On my other rod for topwater i use nanofil though i plan on switching to power pro super slick to a mono leader to a steel leader for the stretch and the fact that mono floats

coldfront

Quote from: CountBassula on May 12, 2022, 10:23:54 AM...and I realized that ... 10 pound line holds up just fine even if the fish I catch swims into weeds or grass which is common where I fish and I am still able to pull it out and land it on shore.
this is true.  it's amazing what you can do with 'light' line (although, to be fair, 10-12 lb test is not light by any stretch).  I think folks have gotten to caught up in 'tie it on and forget about it'.

doesn't matter the line type, or 'test', it's always a smart idea to inspect, feel, the line for knicks, abrasions...  good, intact 10lb mono can get some real monsters out of some really gnarly stuff.then again, if you are into 'gorilla hook sets' you might need to adjust accordingly.

the 'rip their lips off their face' crowd 'mileage' may vary here.  I'm not 'amped up' because I'm fishing for a $100k payday... so I can 'afford' to be a little more rational (and less emotional) about this.

~roflmao

Esox obsessed

Quote from: coldfront on February 22, 2023, 08:08:55 AM
Quote from: CountBassula on May 12, 2022, 10:23:54 AM...and I realized that ... 10 pound line holds up just fine even if the fish I catch swims into weeds or grass which is common where I fish and I am still able to pull it out and land it on shore.
this is true.  it's amazing what you can do with 'light' line (although, to be fair, 10-12 lb test is not light by any stretch).  I think folks have gotten to caught up in 'tie it on and forget about it'.

doesn't matter the line type, or 'test', it's always a smart idea to inspect, feel, the line for knicks, abrasions...  good, intact 10lb mono can get some real monsters out of some really gnarly stuff.then again, if you are into 'gorilla hook sets' you might need to adjust accordingly.

the 'rip their lips off their face' crowd 'mileage' may vary here.  I'm not 'amped up' because I'm fishing for a $100k payday... so I can 'afford' to be a little more rational (and less emotional) about this.

~roflmao

I really dont understand how a fish is going to break your line with just weeds if a big pickerel takes your line into the trolling motor thats another story.
Depending in the cover you shouldnt have to cast right on it rather in front of it.(Based on when i spooked a 4lb lmb and casted a senko and it was peeling drag 30 seconds later and when i reeled as fast as i could a senko all the way across the erie canal and had a smb follow it in and take it.

topdsm0138

I've used the same Mono since I was a kid. Stren 10lb test in Clear/Blue. The only other line I use is PowerPro 20lb. The baitcasters get the PowerPro, the Spinners get the Stren.

I tried Spiderwire and didn't like it. Along with various types of Mono, just to try something different. But my 2 tried & true brands are my favorites.

I just never saw a need for heavier than my 10lb mono, in freshwater. My odds of catching a bass 10lbs+ is less than me winning the lotto.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont