same place

Started by coldfront, October 02, 2022, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

back out to the lake.  early this time.  on the spot waiting for the schooling to start.  for about an hour it was a lot of fun.

first the baitfish would start flickering... then sporadic 'surface slashes'.

tried a walking bait (spook).  the did not want that.  went to the chartreuse pencil popper and it was on.  needed long casts.  caught maybe 10-12 in an hour ranging from 1 lb to a little over 2 lbs.  all spots.

later on, best of the day came on a green pumpkin worm in a laydown in current.  know lots of folks like to talk up smallmouth... but for me?  spots are my all-time favorite and 10 or more of these 'dudes' will flat wear a guy out in a day.

Mike Cork

Spots are the bulldogs of the lake in my opinion. They don't jump a whole lot but they will pull your rod to the lake.

That one is a nice fat specimen, definitely eating good.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

definitely had been wearing the feedbag.  figure she was 'around' 3 pounds.  stout fish.
really really sharp teeth (told that this indicates primarily fish diet... vs crustaceans)

I go to this lake for peace and quiet.  great setting with mountains, trees all around.  water's cool enough now (high 60's) that the pleasure crowd isn't out running wake boats.

I also go to this lake for the spots.  bigger is not always better.  and these guys flat pull drag.  baitcast reels and big rods don't faze them at all. 

the 'hook' is knowing I lost at least two that were bigger on the pencil popper.