Cross Lake August 2017

Started by Mike Cork, August 16, 2017, 08:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

This lake has whooped me all year. I normally can catch them but my "normal" summer patterns weren't working. With the TNT championship last weekend I pounded Cross before the cut off trying to find something.

There is a top water bite early but I haven't been able to stay on it. "Normally" this time of year they will eat it all day but I haven't found that. After the first hour, I've tried everything from topwater to cranks to spinnerbaits to chatterbaits in the woods and the only bites I'd get were on a Mr Twister Rayburn Bug Hang 10 worm. Occasionally a June bug bite. This bite was slow but produced 17-20 pound stringers.

On the main lake I've been sucking. Just can't get anything going. Topwater, nada... shaky heads, an occasional fish... spinnerbaits in the wind, an occasional fish.

We fished the TNT championship on the 12th with hopes of a big stringer, but realized it would take me all day to get there. First fish of the day was a six and a half pounder. So I figure I'm on track. We struggled all day for 3 more bites. Only weighed 4 fish. The 6 pounder, shockingly was big bass of the tournament, but you can't beat these boys without a limit! So we got a check, just not the big check.

Most found it to be difficult. The winning stringer was 19, third was 17, there were several 15's and 12 pounds got you a placing check. 12-15 pounds was the money average. We had 12 pounds but just out of the money. I think there were 44 teams that qualified for the championship.

As always Todd and Dan put on a great curcuit!!!! Thank you to them, H & W Marine, and all the supporting sponsors  ~c~ I will continue to hate this lake and call it dirty names until next March when the curcuit starts up again and then I'll be back to calling her special and my favorite lake in hopes that she will see fit to surprise us with a full livewell of giant bass.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Dallas

Yep. I can relate?  During the All City Championship in April, our Team fished our Fishing spots in reverse order (major mistake)   & got a decent check, but Not the Big check.  Cross Lake can make you a Hero or a Zero in Short Order, But We all Admit, "It's a Great Place To Visit & Fish" : Oh Yeah, and  during the summer month's, the Scenery is Not Bad either.  ~c~ :(

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Mike and sounds like the fish had you guessing all day long. At lest y'all had the biggest one .  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Quote from: Dallas on August 16, 2017, 08:32:07 AM
Yep. I can relate?  During the All City Championship in April, our Team fished our Fishing spots in reverse order (major mistake)   & got a decent check, but Not the Big check.  Cross Lake can make you a Hero or a Zero in Short Order, But We all Admit, "It's a Great Place To Visit & Fish" : Oh Yeah, and  during the summer month's, the Scenery is Not Bad either.  ~c~ :(

Aren't you getting to old for all that scenery  :shocking: wouldn't want you to get hurt out there  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Quote from: Lipripper on August 16, 2017, 09:24:37 AM
Thanks for the report Mike and sounds like the fish had you guessing all day long. At lest y'all had the biggest one .  ;D

That they did Lipripper, but that's this lake. You have to fish it every day like a new day. Patterning it can kill you, the sun pops out, the wind changes or quits and they change.

Cork's Reel Service

merc1997

it is one of those things where you just can not figure out those pea brained bass.  sometimes when they are making a pattern change, it can take two to three weeks to set up camp again.  those two to three weeks came be pretty hit an miss on the catching.

bass on table rock right now are in that same process.  with the surface water cooling, it is pushing the thermocline deeper.  part of the bass will follow the thermocline and another group will stay shallow with the cooling water temps.

with this being mid-august, there will be lots of changing habitats for the bass here.  you just have to go looking every trip.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Nutt

First, congrats Mike.  I know the frustration that lake can bring.  This lake Mike is talking about will make you cuss out loud at church.  You either love it, or hate it.  Me personally, I'm in the second category.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Dallas

There You go Mike; I was Hurt lot's of time on Cross. ie, Lost Fish, No Fish, Bee Stings, Blown Engine, etc, "BUT", I was Never Hurt By  (censured) Pretty Scenery? At least not back then, but, with my Old Age at present, You just might be correct?  lol  Good fishing too all those Bossier City, Shreveport & surrounding area Folks. (Ex Wives don't count)

Mike Cork

Quote from: Dallas on August 17, 2017, 01:44:07 PM
There You go Mike; I was Hurt lot's of time on Cross. ie, Lost Fish, No Fish, Bee Stings, Blown Engine, etc, "BUT", I was Never Hurt By  (censured) Pretty Scenery? At least not back then, but, with my Old Age at present, You just might be correct?  lol  Good fishing too all those Bossier City, Shreveport & surrounding area Folks. (Ex Wives don't count)

~shade

Cork's Reel Service