Wacky rig

Started by Esox obsessed, March 11, 2023, 10:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

I use a wacky rig with a mustad replacement oring with a steel leader and bead but notice despite having the oring and the hook in the center it doesnt fall evenly and was wondering if anyone else has ever bad something like that happen and where they readjusted their hook or oring to so i would fall on center

big g

Why a steel leader, are you going for sharks?  I fish wacky at some point during every trip.  For max movement of the bait I use Zoom Trick Worms and jerk up off the bottom and let fall back.  Use a #2 EWG hook and a small weight, or a small jig head.  Have had days when it was almost every cast.  Never use an O ring.  So cheap, just replace the worm.  Keep it simple!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: big g on March 11, 2023, 11:08:12 AM
Why a steel leader, are you going for sharks?  I fish wacky at some point during every trip.  For max movement of the bait I use Zoom Trick Worms and jerk up off the bottom and let fall back.  Use a #2 EWG hook and a small weight, or a small jig head.  Have had days when it was almost every cast.  Never use an O ring.  So cheap, just replace the worm.  Keep it simple!

Steel leader because pike will take them actually had one get me unsnagged and the oring for longer lifespan to increase durability. In most places like the canal they dont care lmb (spooked a 4lb only to cast and for it to eat it less then 30 seconds later) especially but smallmouth might be a bit more hesitent sometimes but this one place i fish which is right by me people have told me they have had luck with the wacky rig and i had hooked and missed some fish but once this off center thing started they dont even show interest in it unlike before.

I think i managed to have 1 gary yamamoto worm last me a whole month going out once a week for 8 hours

Pat Dilling

Try moving your o-ring towards the end that is falling faster.  It will not take much to change the center of gravity.  Have to ask if the lures were falling evenly before, and what you might have changed?
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Pat Dilling on March 11, 2023, 12:17:23 PM
Try moving your o-ring towards the end that is falling faster.  It will not take much to change the center of gravity.  Have to ask if the lures were falling evenly before, and what you might have changed?

I didnt really notice or pay attention before but i used to put the oring by the "egg sac" also i didnt use the bead because the rod guides were shot and was going to get the rod i use now for rod guide protection which i started to protect rod guides.

J.W.

What Pat said. Just cheat the O-ring over some. One side of the worm from end to egg sac is longer than the other, so if you go to the middle of the egg sac, one end tends to fall quicker. I don't think the fish seem to mind, but moving the O-ring should get the ends to fall more symmetrically.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: J.W. on March 11, 2023, 08:33:28 PM
What Pat said. Just cheat the O-ring over some. One side of the worm from end to egg sac is longer than the other, so if you go to the middle of the egg sac, one end tends to fall quicker. I don't think the fish seem to mind, but moving the O-ring should get the ends to fall more symmetrically.

I will experiment where exactly to set it. Doesnt exactly make since to mr why it wouldn't symmetrically fall when its directly on center though.

njpaulc

Put some water in a bucket, drop the worm with the o-ring into the bucket without the hook, see if it falls evenly, if it doesn't, try moving the o-ring it might be upsetting the balance, but honestly, I don't see why the o-ring would make a difference, or why the worm falling off center would make a difference.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: njpaulc on March 12, 2023, 10:43:28 AM
Put some water in a bucket, drop the worm with the o-ring into the bucket without the hook, see if it falls evenly, if it doesn't, try moving the o-ring it might be upsetting the balance, but honestly, I don't see why the o-ring would make a difference, or why the worm falling off center would make a difference.

:I didn't think it would but i have had encounters that might indicate itgerwise know this buisness park pond i fish for bass and pike i have had 1 bass and 1 pike go for it but when this started and i noticed it no fish at this place besides the midget bass and bluegill showed interest. Other people have had success with it there and i even saw a guy loose a massive pike using 2 senkos
:Also last year at canal i didnt catch as many fish though there may have been another factor.
:I wanted to experiment to see if this vs on center affected catch ratio both in both the pressured ponds and everywhere else or if anyone else had noticed anything.
i personally noticed at the canal it affected the amount of smallmouth more then largemouth

SenkoSam

I stopped using an O-ring a few years ago and now only use a ball head jig in different weights depending on drop rate. Wacky isn't just for Senko size sticks, but min-sticks that have the same action on the drop and better yet - can be twitched slightly but rapidly at any depth.

The joined grub bodies can be rigged from either and in the middle.

big g

Quote from: SenkoSam on March 16, 2023, 09:21:13 PM
I stopped using an O-ring a few years ago and now only use a ball head jig in different weights depending on drop rate. Wacky isn't just for Senko size sticks, but min-sticks that have the same action on the drop and better yet - can be twitched slightly but rapidly at any depth.

The joined grub bodies can be rigged from either and in the middle.

I agree with you on several things.  I don't use O rings, and a lot of plastics can be used for wacky rigs.  I use trick worms more than senko type baits.  They are longer with more flex and movement.  I have used Flukes that the nose has been torn up, then just hooked in the middle.  This has worked well and resembles an injured fish struggling to move.  I will either use a small #1 EWG hook, or a small Jig head of various weights.  I like a slower fall rather than a heavier weight.  Have caught hundreds of fish using this technique.   :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SenkoSam

Will have to try that.