Braided line scissors

Started by Larry Francis, April 12, 2023, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Francis

Is there a cutter out there that will cut Braid easily and sharply with out MEGA fray ? It seems like I have been through 5 cutters / scissors in the last couple years. They get dull very quickly and fray the line. Does anyone know the real scoop to solve this other than just keep replacing?
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

This same question was brought up a few years ago, and someone mentioned Xuron cutters. I looked into them and bought one.
They are top-notch cutters. They are not cheap cutters, but they slice through braid and mono like nothing.

apenland01

Get the pit bull braid cutters from Monster Fishing Tackle, you'll love them, it's all I use for the past 3 years.  Best $15 you'll ever spend for braid cutters...

J.W.

A good SHARP pocket knife works better than any scissors I've tried. I keep it clipped in my pocket, so it's always there. It's got to be kept sharp though.

skidemn

Quote from: apenland01 on April 12, 2023, 10:02:08 AM
Get the pit bull braid cutters from Monster Fishing Tackle, you'll love them, it's all I use for the past 3 years.  Best $15 you'll ever spend for braid cutters...
I'll second and third this! After reading about them in a forum I bought my own to try, and they did not disappoint. I needed up buying another pair for my fishing partner after he tried mine. Damn good cutters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: apenland01 on April 12, 2023, 10:02:08 AM
These get my vote as well.  

Don't even need any tension on the braid and they cut clean with no frayed edges.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

Here is a video about the Pit Bull Cutters. 

apenland01

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on April 12, 2023, 12:41:51 PM
Here is a video about the Pit Bull Cutters. 

I'll be damned, I've never seen that video, thanks Bud!  I've never done that kind of test, but I know when I finish tying the knot, I can trim the tag ends clean and don't have to pull on it...

FD

Pit Bull for me as well.  I have several pairs.  Boat, my go tackle bag, and in the rod shop.

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

Princeton_Man

Yup, Pitbull Cutters from Monster Fishing Tackle. They get my vote as well, I have several pair as well. On my boat, in my co-angler bag, and my travel fishing bag. I also still have and use Boomerang Braid cutters. They too cut very clean and are very small. They have they're own retractable cord and clip, so if I'm walking a lot of shoreline, I can pack light. The one issue with Boomerangs is as they age and wear, there's no way to tighten the blades. The Pittbull blades can be snugged up a little if needed.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Hobious

i have had two pairs of Pitbulls.  they are amazing, until they arent.  i used them for everything.  cutting plastic bait, flouro line, braid.  my second pair has dulled.  i still use them, but i have to pull the braid tight. 
my new pair of Cuda on the other hand seem to hold an edge longer.  they are sharper from the getgo. 

Monster is my local store and that is all they use at the shop.  they dont suck, but i was shocked they dulled as quickly as they did.

D.W. Verts

If it's designed for braid, then you don't want to use it on mono/floro. Same with wire/cable cutters. There's a difference. And I've had two pair of the Pitbulls for about five years. Excellent.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: D.W. Verts on April 13, 2023, 09:48:16 PM
If it's designed for braid, then you don't want to use it on mono/floro. Same with wire/cable cutters. There's a difference. And I've had two pair of the Pitbulls for about five years. Excellent.

Dale
X2

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Larry Francis

Wow everyone is in the know. Thanks guys Pit Bull it is.
Molon Labe

skidemn

Quote from: Hobious on April 13, 2023, 07:42:24 PM
i have had two pairs of Pitbulls.  they are amazing, until they arent.  i used them for everything.  cutting plastic bait, flouro line, braid.  my second pair has dulled.  i still use them, but i have to pull the braid tight. 

Well there's the problem. They specifically say in their instructions NOT to cut anything but braid with the serrated jaws or you will dull them. You can cut mono with the circular cutting area all the way inside the jaw. I suggest using cheap shears for cutting your plastic baits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobious

My Cudas have cut everything.  Still going strong.

In a kayak in the heat of action, I just cut stuff.  The Monster Tackle shop, they cut everything with their Pitbulls, but they have a pile of them.

As an engineer, I kinda feel the harder material cuts softer material.  This is the way....

bowhunter63

Chasin bass and huntin bucks,life is good

Captsteve

I've had a pair of pit bull cutters about 4 years.  I use them strictly for braid and they are still sharp.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

J.W.

I forgot about this thread until it just resurfaced, but for the record, it made me buy a couple pairs of Pitbull cutters, and they are awesome. Although either my son or his fishing partner (I think the latter) got the blades on one pair boogered up on a hook eye. They still cut, but they have a bad spot now. They really are the best braid scissors I've used.

Hobious

I found the sharpest scissors at my grocery store.  they are tiny kitchen shears.  stainless, and serrated.

I bought them on and they can cut loose dangly braid so easily!!  here they are on top of my Cudas.

Braid scissors are cheap.  I won't agonize about them.

You cannot view this attachment.

Hobious

forget it.  I can't seem to post a pic today.  hahaha.

Mike Cork

Those look cool, nice and little. Do your fingers fit okay?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Hobious