jig head line tie

Started by coldfront, July 24, 2019, 05:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

what's your preference and why?  for arkie heads and football heads.

in line or cross?
angle from hook shank:  when and why?

I tend 60 degree, cross eye as my all around preference.

Oldfart9999

Flat eye(cross eye), 30 degree, I make Poison Tail jigs, for football head I don't use that many.
Rodney

Sent from my DL1016 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

I tend to use vertical ties more but really see no actual performance difference with flat or horizontal ties. They all work for me just fine.

As for what degree angle I don't guess those make a huge difference either. I use many different popular angles. They all seem to work equally well for me also.

Smallie_Stalker

Flat eye. Personally I believe Bo has nailed the whole issue with the Nu Tech line of jigs.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bigjim5589

I really don't have a preference for the eye tie as far as it being cross or inline. I've never seen any difference in them, or that they change anything in how the jig fishes.

The bend angle places the eye in various positions relative to the rest of the jighead, and that can make some difference as to how well a jig might get through snags, however, the head shape also makes a difference.

There can be good reasons to use a jig with the eye more forward, but same can be true of an eye that allows better vertical positioning. It likely depends a lot on how a person likes to fish, which type eye or it's position will be their preference. I like to pitch & flip, so a jig with a 60 degree bend hook is what I use most, and I carry jigs with other bend angle hooks too.

For me, the stoutness/strength and sharpness of the hook is much more important than the actual eye configuration provided the eye is closed completely. that's the only other concern I have.

The basic "Arky" style, gets thru wood fine. While a cone shaped head with the eye in a more forward position gets thru grass and some other vegetation very well. But either will hang up in rocks.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

The Poison Tail was made to use a hook Mustad made as a special, it's a wedge shape sort of, comes through grass well, wood pretty well and isn't good in chunk or larger rock. I also have the mold to pour the FLATEYE ARKIE it's a flater style of jig that comes through brush well and skips very well but I haven't poured any in several years.
There are many types of jig molds out there and they all can be modified with JBWELD and a Dremel if you want to make it uniquely your own, It's an addictive hobby and can be a lot of fun. If I didn't have the molds, lead and the rest of it, I'd make my own skirts and buy jigs from NuTech, Bo has some really great products.
Rodney

bigjim5589

Rodney, I have the Poison Tail molds too, and those Mustad wide gap jig hooks in a couple of sizes. They do everything that you say. I also have some Gamakatsu jig hooks in 5/0 that will fit the same molds, but are a round bend type of hook. I don't recall the exact bend angle, it's either 28 or 30 degree's, but they will fit without any modification. The black & blue jig I posted is molded on that Gamakatsu hook, so they fit in other molds too.

Yep, there are many excellent jig head designs, and if you pour your own, a lot of things can be done. I'm always experimenting with hooks in my molds.  ;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

merc1997

well, here is the actual science.  your hook eye and angle, and head design all function in some way or another in the hook setting process.  many head designs on the market hamper the hood setting process, and same can be said with hooks.  hook design breaks down into hook bend.  the make up of the leg going to the eyelet, how long that leg is, the angle of that leg, and yes, vertical as opposed to horizontal eyelet.

i really need a chalk board to draw pics.  visual is much easier to comprehend.  you need an angled leg on the hook to act as a lever to help lift the hook off the deck to vertical, but the length of that leg is critical as well as angle.  flat eyes give you a bit more leverage on the hook set because you are always pulling from the top of the ring.  not so with a vertical line tie.  90 degree line ties cause numerous hooking issues unless, they are correct by other means on the head.

go to nutech lures you tube channel and look up the video titled guide arms, hooks, and pull lines, and it will help better to understand because you will have visuals.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

Quote from: merc1997 on July 27, 2019, 01:27:05 PM
well, here is the actual science.  your hook eye and angle, and head design all function in some way or another in the hook setting process.  many head designs on the market hamper the hood setting process, and same can be said with hooks.  hook design breaks down into hook bend.  the make up of the leg going to the eyelet, how long that leg is, the angle of that leg, and yes, vertical as opposed to horizontal eyelet.

i really need a chalk board to draw pics.  visual is much easier to comprehend.  you need an angled leg on the hook to act as a lever to help lift the hook off the deck to vertical, but the length of that leg is critical as well as angle.  flat eyes give you a bit more leverage on the hook set because you are always pulling from the top of the ring.  not so with a vertical line tie.  90 degree line ties cause numerous hooking issues unless, they are correct by other means on the head.

go to nutech lures you tube channel and look up the video titled guide arms, hooks, and pull lines, and it will help better to understand because you will have visuals.

bo
Thanks Bo!!!
Rodney

Sent from my DL1016 using Tapatalk