Portable Fish Finder

Started by TheLastRodBender, March 01, 2020, 08:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLastRodBender

Mornin folks!!

I am in a situation living in a town house that I do not have the space for a small watercraft.  I do however have friends who have them, as well as use an outfitter on the Shenendoah when I get an itchin to chase some bronzebacks.  I am looking at setting up a small fish finder that is all self contained, so I can set it up anywhere.

Ive got my own ideas, but do any of you all have a setup like this, and would you mi d sharing the info?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HJC84

There are plenty of options out there for less than a grocery bill. I use a Garmin Striker 4, with the transducer mounted below my front scupper. But they also make those transducer mounts that you can remove after each use. The Garmin is very portable, and affordable, and easy to use. I take mine off the mount and keep it in my crate after being on the water.

You could easily get one of those transducer mounts, place both the fish finder and transducer on the same mount. They have some options on amazon for battery boxes that you could also stow somewhere. But you're still lugging around a few items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLastRodBender

I was actually leaning toward the Striker 4cv with the mapping

HJC84

That's the one I use. It's excellent for what it is. Very easy to use and ability to mark spots. 

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: HJC84 on March 01, 2020, 10:12:45 AM
That's the one I use. It's excellent for what it is. Very easy to use and ability to mark spots. 

How is the mapping function?

HJC84

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on March 01, 2020, 10:45:28 AM

I've only marked a few spots while out so far. All I did was open the map setting, and choose the location where I was and hit save. I haven't logged an entire trip with that feature yet, but next time I go out I plan to. I wanna see if I can get back to the exact spot I launched, or experiment with said saved spots on fish catches, etc.

HJC84

I saw on a review of it that you can track your route while you're using it. That's another feature I have yet to explore. Should be easy enough to figure out as I've found the other features on it to be.

HJC84

You can also use split screen of both your depth finder and maps at the same time.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: HJC84 on March 01, 2020, 02:32:29 PM
You can also use split screen of both your depth finder and maps at the same time.

Did you get the one that can build the topo map too?

HJC84

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on March 01, 2020, 03:42:32 PM
Did you get the one that can build the topo map too?

If I did I don't know how to do that, lol! It's the Garmin Striker 4 Plus w/CV. Here's a pic of the box.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: HJC84 on March 01, 2020, 06:02:53 PM
If I did I don't know how to do that, lol! It's the Garmin Striker 4 Plus w/CV. Here's a pic of the box.

This is the front runner for what i think i need.  I appreciate the feedback.  This looks perfect for being easily moved between small watercraft.

HJC84

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on March 02, 2020, 06:46:38 AM
This is the front runner for what i think i need.  I appreciate the feedback.  This looks perfect for being easily moved between small watercraft.

I'll try and give some more feedback after my next couple trips out. I'll also get some pics for you and show you how I mounted mine. Let me know which one you wind up pulling the trigger on. Good luck to you!

apiazza

I'm looking to pick up a Striker+ 4CV myself. I have been really torn between this and the Lowrance hook 2 on close out. My only real fear with the striker is the size, but everyone says its a fantastic little unit.

kdubracing

I'm in the same boat (pun not intended). I am going to likely get a Striker 4+CV. I am most interested in the mapping function as I will be kayak fishing in areas that are not mapped. I was initially going to just get the 4+, but I think I've talked myself into the CV.

HJC84

Quote from: kdubracing on March 04, 2020, 04:43:47 PM
I'm in the same boat (pun not intended). I am going to likely get a Striker 4+CV. I am most interested in the mapping function as I will be kayak fishing in areas that are not mapped. I was initially going to just get the 4+, but I think I've talked myself into the CV.
The main difference between the regular Striker 4 and the Plus is the ClearVu. Honestly, it's not much better than the traditional sonar option which also comes on it. So if you're on a tight budget the regular old Striker 4 is a great option. But if you're interested in just having all of that with a few extras, then the CV is the way to go. My buddy has the EchoMap 4" Garmin and it has slightly more features than the Plus CV I have.

The one my buddy has on his bass boat:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/593028

kdubracing

I'm going to get a 4 plus no matter what. Not the regular Striker 4. The plus models have the mapping feature and the regular 4 does not. That's the most important feature to me. So I will get either the Striker 4 Plus or the Striker 4 Plus CV.

My question is whether it is worth it to get the CV. You say it isn't much better than the regular sonar. Why do you say that? That's the info I'm interested in is whether the CV is worth the extra little bit of money or not. This will be going on my kayak. I will be getting a boat next year and will definitely put better equipment on that. I just want one on the kayak to play around with and map some of the smaller places I go.

So to make a short story long, any insight anyone can give on the CV vs. regular sonar is appreciated.

TheLastRodBender

Picked up a striker 4cv, a mount, and a small rechargeable battery.  Will post some pics regarding mobility and functionality on smaller boats.  Will be hitting the water sunday so will give more info about the unit.

HJC84

Quote from: kdubracing on March 04, 2020, 08:18:00 PM
I’m going to get a 4 plus no matter what. Not the regular Striker 4. The plus models have the mapping feature and the regular 4 does not. That’s the most important feature to me. So I will get either the Striker 4 Plus or the Striker 4 Plus CV.

My question is whether it is worth it to get the CV. You say it isn’t much better than the regular sonar. Why do you say that? That’s the info I’m interested in is whether the CV is worth the extra little bit of money or not. This will be going on my kayak. I will be getting a boat next year and will definitely put better equipment on that. I just want one on the kayak to play around with and map some of the smaller places I go.

So to make a short story long, any insight anyone can give on the CV vs. regular sonar is appreciated.

I should have been more clear in my opinion of the "ClearVu"-haha! On the Striker Plus 4CV you can use traditional sonar setting along side Clear Vu. All I was referring to was that the Clear Vu doesn't blow me away as far as better "details" on the screen from what little I have used it. I find that the traditional sonar setting on it is plenty enough detail for me to use. This is just my opinion though, and everyone has one of those. But if you're set on getting the 4Plus no matter what, I would say get whatever your wallet/heart is content with.

There are also a few YouTube videos out there that go through different settings, options you can choose on the Striker Plus 4CV.

HJC84

Quote from: kdubracing on March 04, 2020, 08:18:00 PM
I'm going to get a 4 plus no matter what. Not the regular Striker 4. The plus models have the mapping feature and the regular 4 does not. That's the most important feature to me. So I will get either the Striker 4 Plus or the Striker 4 Plus CV.

My question is whether it is worth it to get the CV. You say it isn't much better than the regular sonar. Why do you say that? That's the info I'm interested in is whether the CV is worth the extra little bit of money or not. This will be going on my kayak. I will be getting a boat next year and will definitely put better equipment on that. I just want one on the kayak to play around with and map some of the smaller places I go.

I should have been more clear in my opinion of the "ClearVu"-haha! On the Striker Plus 4CV you can use traditional sonar setting along side Clear Vu. All I was referring to was that the Clear Vu doesn't blow me away as far as better "details" on the screen from what little I have used it. I find that the traditional sonar setting on it is plenty enough detail for me to use. This is just my opinion though, and everyone has one of those. But if you're set on getting the 4Plus no matter what, I would say get whatever your wallet/heart is content with.

There are also a few YouTube videos out there that go through different settings, options you can choose on the Striker Plus 4CV.

HJC84

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on March 04, 2020, 09:07:26 PM
Picked up a striker 4cv, a mount, and a small rechargeable battery.  Will post some pics regarding mobility and functionality on smaller boats.  Will be hitting the water sunday so will give more info about the unit.

Very nice!

Here's a few pics of my set up.

Keep my battery in that dry pod box there behind the mount.

kdubracing

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on March 04, 2020, 09:07:26 PM

Good deal. Looking forward to seeing what you think about it.

kdubracing

Quote from: HJC84 on March 04, 2020, 10:07:12 PM
All I was referring to was that the Clear Vu doesn't blow me away as far as better "details" on the screen from what little I have used it. I find that the traditional sonar setting on it is plenty enough detail for me to use. This is just my opinion though, and everyone has one of those.

This is what I'm looking for as far as opinions from people that have used it. I'm wondering if the CV is enough better than the traditional sonar to make it worth getting the CV unit. I understand the differences in the three models. Thanks.

TheLastRodBender

So when I got my fish finder, i picked up a 'portable' transom mount.  I mounted it to the boat yesterday to double check how it was going to work ahead of going out on the water Sunday, and it came apart.  The round disk that makes contact with the mounting point as you screw it into place came off, and the gear shaped handle that you wind in order to tighten it down came looks and unscrewed off.  I had to use channel locks to get it loosened up. 

I will be taking it back with the intention of exchanging it, but I don't know if i'm 100% happy with how it mounts.  The mount is great for the small aluminum boat that I will be fishing out of regularly, but I don't see how I can mount it on a Kayak.... may have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

kdubracing

Do you have a track on your kayak? I bought one of the Scotty transducer mounts that mount to the track. I'm happy with the way it mounts so far. Granted, I haven't been on the water with it yet, but it mounts tight and is easy to pull out of the water.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: kdubracing on March 06, 2020, 12:45:08 PM
Do you have a track on your kayak? I bought one of the Scotty transducer mounts that mount to the track. I'm happy with the way it mounts so far. Granted, I haven't been on the water with it yet, but it mounts tight and is easy to pull out of the water.
I dont have my own, i rent a Jackson Coosa a handful of times to float the Shenendoah, but  those mounts wont work on a john boat.