Brocraft Kayak Stabilizers

Started by fivebyfive, April 11, 2020, 07:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivebyfive

Well.  It's official. They have restricted all motorized boats in Michigan until April 30th.  Kayaks are still allowed, though if they close the public access sites it might not matter.  I've done more than enough complaining about it, so now I'm taking positive action.   

I'm making my yak my primary fishing rig and I figure why not make some more mods.  Some of you may have seen my vid showing my yak and the upgrades.  Now I want to add outriggers. 

I came onto the Brocraft outriggers.  I have other Brocraft products and I am always impressed with their quality.  Anybody have any experience with these?  While I'm at it, any opinions on outriggers in general?

https://www.amazon.com/Brocraft-Outriggers-Stabilizers-System-Holder/dp/B078KCN7ZG

TNDiver

That's a bit pricey for something you can make with PVC pipe and pool noodles.  There are tons of videos/websites on how to do it.  I looked into it when I thought I was going to make my canoe my primary fishing vessel.  It really is pretty easy and could probably be done in an hour or two.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

I'm not a yaker but, I would think those outriggers could interfere with Bass fishing. I've seen both pool noodles and 2 liter soda bottles attached directly to the sides of kayaks and canoes. That seems a lot cleaner and less cumbersome.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

I researched this, and while the ones attached directly the boat do help, the outriggers are much more stable, especially if you might want to stand up.  Plus you can rig the outriggers for more storage

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

fivebyfive

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 11, 2020, 09:26:08 AM
I'm not a yaker but, I would think those outriggers could interfere with Bass fishing. I've seen both pool noodles and 2 liter soda bottles attached directly to the sides of kayaks and canoes. That seems a lot cleaner and less cumbersome.

I was wondering the same thing.  Do the outriggers interfer?  I'm planning to mount them towards the back of the yak, behind where I sit.  Hopefully that keeps it out of the way.

TNDiver

I saw one on Pinterest (I am having trouble position a picture) that would be easy to build and you could remove it if you wanted.  It used the boat bumpers and PVC pipe.  The ones I was looking at before, you could swing up if not in use, but that was for a canoe.  Not sure how it would work for a kayak. 

fivebyfive

Quote from: TNDiver on April 11, 2020, 04:44:38 PM
I saw one on Pinterest (I am having trouble position a picture) that would be easy to build and you could remove it if you wanted.  It used the boat bumpers and PVC pipe.  The ones I was looking at before, you could swing up if not in use, but that was for a canoe.  Not sure how it would work for a kayak.

Gonna search the internets for a diy.  I have boat bumpers and pvc on hand so I don't even have to go out to get materials for a build.  Still, I'm interested if anybody has a prefabbed unit that they bought, and what you think.  Would you buy one again, or make one yourself?  I'm gonna give it a try.

apiazza

I'm all for creativeness to solve some problems, but I just plan to buy my next boat based on the ability to stand and fish among other attributes.  Running outriggers like that takes away a lot of what makes kayaking so nice for maneuverability and accessibility. I realize that not everyone is in that position though, so if it solves the problem you have, give it a whirl. Most people seem to go the homemade route. Those premade systems are incredibly expensive for what they are, couple pieces of light pipe and foam or air. There is a group on facebook where many have done it. I think it's called "Kayak DIY Rigging" or something like that.

TNDiver

Apiazza, that was the straw that broke me and convinced me just to get a boat.  I knew I would not be as stable on a personal watercraft and finally decided to get a boat to do what I wanted.

apiazza

Quote from: TNDiver on April 13, 2020, 12:20:40 PM
Apiazza, that was the straw that broke me and convinced me just to get a boat.  I knew I would not be as stable on a personal watercraft and finally decided to get a boat to do what I wanted.
I still plan on running a kayak, though. A lot of the fisheries by me are either electric motors only or max 9.9 hp. Short of buying a John Boat, there isn't a ton of value in buying a boat. With the current state of affairs I don't have the time to travel to fish often, nor do I want the storage (can't have boat at house because of HOA) and maintenance costs. The kayak is great because I can load it in my truck and be at two different reservoirs in about 5 minute drive. So when I'm ready to upgrade, which might be next year, I'll probably pick up a pedal drive that I can easily stand and fish in, which is pretty normal these days.

fivebyfive

Quote from: apiazza on April 13, 2020, 12:39:35 PM
I still plan on running a kayak, though. A lot of the fisheries by me are either electric motors only or max 9.9 hp. Short of buying a John Boat, there isn't a ton of value in buying a boat. With the current state of affairs I don't have the time to travel to fish often, nor do I want the storage (can't have boat at house because of HOA) and maintenance costs. The kayak is great because I can load it in my truck and be at two different reservoirs in about 5 minute drive. So when I'm ready to upgrade, which might be next year, I'll probably pick up a pedal drive that I can easily stand and fish in, which is pretty normal these days.

I love my boat but right now we can't use them.  I love my kayak though it hasn't seen much action since the boat came along a few years ago.  It's more than stable enough and when I'm out fishing with a companion, I don't need or want the riggers.  But when I'm alone, and because my wife worries, I figure outriggers are a small inconvenience to be extra certain to guard against tipping over.  Even then, I wear my pfd at all times and I can get back in the yak.  My unsecured gear can't.  Unfortunately I can't secure everything but I try.  You are completely right though.  The portability and maneuverability is somewhat compromised by having to run with outriggers.  I'm still a little concerned that I will hate them.

apiazza

Quote from: fivebyfive on April 13, 2020, 01:31:58 PM
I love my boat but right now we can't use them.  I love my kayak though it hasn't seen much action since the boat came along a few years ago.  It's more than stable enough and when I'm out fishing with a companion, I don't need or want the riggers.  But when I'm alone, and because my wife worries, I figure outriggers are a small inconvenience to be extra certain to guard against tipping over.  Even then, I wear my pfd at all times and I can get back in the yak.  My unsecured gear can't.  Unfortunately I can't secure everything but I try.  You are completely right though.  The portability and maneuverability is somewhat compromised by having to run with outriggers.  I'm still a little concerned that I will hate them.
If you dont feel you need them I certainly wouldnt add them? If your wife is worried about you being on the kayak I'm not sure some water wings are going to change that, not to mention they will make getting back in the boat harder if you do tip.

All my gear short a couple bags of plastics is secured and my crate has a lid, if I flip it I might sink one rod...the one in my hand. Wear your pfd and I keep a small dry bag with a towel and dry clothes just in case. I dont fish from the kayak if the water is much below 50 and I'm strategic in the locations I pick for my own safety. Phone is water proof and tethered to my pfd at all times. Things absolutely can go sideways, but they can in a boat too. Someone just posted about falling over board while fishing alone because a wake through them off balance while bent over switching rods.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fivebyfive

Quote from: apiazza on April 13, 2020, 01:46:56 PM
If you dont feel you need them I certainly wouldnt add them? If your wife is worried about you being on the kayak I'm not sure some water wings are going to change that, not to mention they will make getting back in the boat harder if you do tip.

All my gear short a couple bags of plastics is secured and my crate has a lid, if I flip it I might sink one rod...the one in my hand. Wear your pfd and I keep a small dry bag with a towel and dry clothes just in case. I dont fish from the kayak if the water is much below 50 and I'm strategic in the locations I pick for my own safety. Phone is water proof and tethered to my pfd at all times. Things absolutely can go sideways, but they can in a boat too. Someone just posted about falling over board while fishing alone because a wake through them off balance while bent over switching rods.

You make a good point about boats.  I have come close to being tossed off the front of my boat when I was careless with the troller.  When you flip on 80 lbs of thrust all at once it can shift your body suddenly.  If I did fall off I dare say I would struggle to get back in that boat since it does not have a boarding ladder.  Now that I mention it, I guess it's a good time to take care of that problem.   

apiazza

Quote from: fivebyfive on April 13, 2020, 01:52:22 PM
You make a good point about boats.  I have come close to being tossed off the front of my boat when I was careless with the troller.  When you flip on 80 lbs of thrust all at once it can shift your body suddenly.  If I did fall off I dare say I would struggle to get back in that boat since it does not have a boarding ladder.  Now that I mention it, I guess it's a good time to take care of that problem.
First you would have to catch up to it! Does sound like a good quarantine project.

Dont let my opinion sway you from doing something you feel is needed in the name of safety. I guess all I was trying to get at was if you are doing it to make your wife feel better, it might still be a tough sell that it did much, but if it makes you feel better go for it. If its just for the oh crap moment, something like waterproof gear that will keep you safe in cold waters might be better investment. I think nrs sells tall waterproof bibs for about the same price as that outrigger kit.