BFS fishing and Swimbaits?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 25, 2023, 10:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

I know this thread title may be head scratcher for some, but read on and here me out.

Imho swimbaits are a "must have" bait every angler should have tied on at all times, especially while fishing in FL. These baits come in a variety of shapes, lengths, and sizes. When a swimbait is matched correctly to the fishing conditions, catch quantity and quality can be off the charts.

So how do swimbaits and a BFS system (Bait Finesse System) tie in together?

When we hear the word swimbait, most think big baits. Which is true, for me however, I think about how small of a swimbait and how light can I throw it?

In the spring many species of fish spawn. Especially a variety of bait fish. For us, this means a plethora of baby native and non-native bait fish. Bass (and Peacock  ;)) go nuts this time of year, gorging themselves on all these baby bait fish.

Here's where fishing with a BFS System and a Tiny Swimbait come into play. An angler can "match the hatch" along with matching the correct gear to fish with a tiny swimbait effectively.

Gear considerations:

Rods: Light to Medium Light
Reels: Spinning or BFS baitcasters
Line: Light braid, mono, fc or leaders
Terminal Tackle: Small jig heads (2/0 or less)

If your looking for something different to try, I highly recommend fishing this system, it can be very rewarding.

Want to learn more about BFS fishing and the KastKing Zephyr?
Check out that video ---> KastKing Zephyr

Thanks for reading.

Smallie_Stalker

Excellent suggestion Lou! 

I fish the 2.5" Mr. Twister Sassy Shad on a light or ultra-light spinning rod for crappie gills and perch. While doing this I have had quite a few bass hit the lure.

At some point I would like to try specifically targeting bass this way with a BFS baitcast setup.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

topdsm0138

Nicely done Capt!

For me, my rod & reel choice depends on how I'm trying to "present" the bait as well. If I'm in Search Mode and simple cast & retrieve is all that I'm doung, I will use a casting combo.

If I'm trying to "liven up" the action, I will use a spinning as to be able to twitch and dart the bait better.

Those Lockett Lures minnows you had me try have been the BEST ones I've used yet, with Gambler in 2nd and Keitech in 3rd.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks guys, happy you enjoyed the read.

Capt. BassinLou

Here's another example: this one looks like a big minnow.

RangerAndBass

As a point of interest this is exactly how I target bass in late April/ early May when water temps are in low 40s in Ontario.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic!

Pat Dilling

Great read.  Small swimbaits will be found on the deck of many Western anglers year around.  I fish them on a variety of jigheads whether casting and retrieving or lift and drop, or even on a dropshot.  I rig them weedless to fish around weeds and trees.  I use an underspin jig to give them more flash.  They are extremely versitile.
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for sharing the read with us.  I use Swimbaits here in Central Texas also.  Below are the 2 types I use mostly.

Swim Baits

I fish these on MH bait casting rigs.  I fish them on 20lb Big Game Clear Mono.  They get casted into the same locations I fish my bladed jigs, spinnerbaits and crankbaits  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Larry Francis

Great post Lou.

Since I have known you, I have been trying this swim bait thing. I have accumulated quite the inventory of them in various sizes from 2inches to 6 inches. I have fished them quite often and still have very little success. Kudos to you for developing this skill set. But man, I don't have it. I will keep trying to figure this out and maybe it will be a tool in my arsenal.  For now it remains a low confidence presentation for me.

Keep on them Lou and Tight Lines.
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on February 27, 2023, 06:03:42 AM
Great post Lou.

Since I have known you, I have been trying this swim bait thing. I have accumulated quite the inventory of them in various sizes from 2inches to 6 inches. I have fished them quite often and still have very little success. Kudos to you for developing this skill set. But man, I don't have it. I will keep trying to figure this out and maybe it will be a tool in my arsenal.  For now it remains a low confidence presentation for me.

Thank you Larry! We can talk more about this subject on Saturday.  ;)

Larry Francis

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on February 27, 2023, 01:53:10 PM
Quote from: Larry Francis on February 27, 2023, 06:03:42 AM
Great post Lou.

Thank you Larry! We can talk more about this subject on Saturday.  ;)

Look forward to that for sure.
Molon Labe

jwkelley51

Like Mr. Dilling says... they're pretty much a year round staple in North Georgia. Right up there with a shakeyhead.