Paddle tail swimbait woes...

Started by No Excuses, February 05, 2020, 08:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Excuses

Hey guys, I started pouring my own soft plastics last year. I originally copied an old jerk worm from back in the 90's. I wasn't happy with the quality of my molds, simply because I used a plastic worm for my master. I wound up after about 3 tries, with a solid oak master that I made that I was very pleased with. It's my very own design and I have even sold a few. Came up with a neat logo and name. Who knows what it might turn in to! Anyway, to my problem. I decided I wanted to make a similar version of "The Truth" (that's what I call the jerk worm), in a swimbait. I am 3 designs in and haven't got decent action out of one yet. My biggest hurdle I think is I am straight open pour. I am not getting hardly any action from the tail. #1 had a little wobble, but the front part of the bait was waaay to chunky for the tail. Problem with open pour is I guess the top of the tail has to be the as big or bigger than teh bottom so it will come out of the mold after pouring. #2 was sleeker and I made the tail a little different and it had no action at all. I realized that maybe putting the angle on the tail on the master was causing it to just trail behind the body when pulled thru the water. So #3 I decided to make the tail 90 degrees from the body on the master. Hoping when the plastic flexed it would be at the right angle to give it some wobble. It had a little but not what I expected. I am thinking I need to teardrop the tail some, but I didn't have any scissors with me when I went and tested it. I am using the same 50/50 mix of LC572 and MF8228SS that I use on my worms. I tried straight concentrations of both thinking it maybe needed to be softer or stiffer, with no change in results. If any of ya'll have any experience pouring swimbaits, take a look at my masters and let me know what you think I may need to do. Thanks in advance!

SteveTX

I dont make baits but I have used them for a long time. lo Based on that experience I will suggest a few things.
Make sure there is ample area of slender material connecting the tail. Too thick or broad cross section limits movement. Example of baits with great action would be a Keitech Swing Impact FAT. Very narrow and small in relation to the body.

Also the consistency of the plastic used can make a difference. Obviously a stiffer/harder plastic = less movement. I sometimes watch the World's Worst Fishing YouTube channel. He went to using Dead On Plastix from his original brand. From what I gather they make a more specific formula for swimbaits. Might want to call them to verify I just think I recall Chris talking about it. 

No Excuses

caddyjoe77

scottsboro tackle company in Alabama makes great swimbaits too.  While not local to you, they are a local outfit and the folks are super nice. 
BeerMe

No Excuses

After looking at the ones Steve posted I realized a couple of changes I needed to make. Try number 4 was on the money. I slimmed it up more all the way to the tail. Tear dropped or guitar picked the tail itself. Made it concave on the front of the tail and convex on the back side. Used a straight medium plastic vs the blend. Thing thumps like a big colorado blade spinnerbait, and rolls its belly up side to to side. On the blue and orange one I could see the belly flashing upwards. Now I can't wait to get on the water and see how they do!

zippyduck

Those should really thump.  ~bb
Very nice work.  ~c~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.