Fort Collins Smallmouth 6/4-6/5

Started by Farmer Ted, June 05, 2007, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Ted

I went out to my favorite smallmouth spot the last couple days. The action is starting to pick up a little. For some reason the smallies were going nuts for a 4" texas rigged senko in white and chartruse...they killed those things. I also caught a few on a panther martin, and a pegged weight tube rig (chartruse was the winner here again).

The fish seemed to be hanging out near shore where there was a steep drop off to about 9 feet. The fish were also grouped up so if I caught one, I caught 3 or 4. The groups also appeared to migrate along the shoreline drop off from day to day.

There are some sunken islands in this small lake that the fish will hang around as the summer progresses but they're not quite there yet. I also didn't catch any fish hanging out in open water (I was getting one every once in a while in open water a couple weeks ago)

The water temp was 62-64 and there was a rain shower each day that didn't seem to effect the bite.

The average size was 12-14" I caught three or four in the 15-15.5" range. Not monsters but I'll take it.

The Milky Way
              is a character in my play

Catch and release largemouth and smallmouth bass!!!!

joe4theavs

Nice fish Ted!  Keep up the good work!
Time is never wasted, when your wasted all the time!

bassineveryday

Ted I am gonna have to go fishing with you I am thinking about a trip to the fort and maybe a little horsetooth action as well. Those are some nice smallies there thanks for sharing