Swapping line from One Reel to Another Reel...How To

Started by analfisherman, January 20, 2018, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

OK, Pro Staff (members)......I want to know how YOU swap line from one reel DIRECTLY to DIFFERENT REEL/Spool.

I've done this for years as many of you have also.

Real simple task.......UNLESS YOUR ALONE!  :)

I have ways of doing this......BUT always looking to improve or find a better/easier way of doing ANYTHING/EVERYTHING I do.  ::) ;)

So as NOT TO 'guide' the responses I will share my methods later.

Specific thoughts/ideas/concerns (BUT NOT ALL INCLUSIVE) I'd like INPUT on are;

1)   Getting good line lay on the spool/reel I'm swapping TO.
2)   Avoiding backlashing (baitcasters) and the dreaded line falling off of spool (spinning reels) FROM reels your pulling line FROM.
3)   Avoiding line twist on  the 'NEWLY' spooled reel.
4)   Avoiding line memory when switching from DIFFERENT size spools/reels. (larger to smaller is usually a bigger challenge)
5)   Do you do things differently based on LINE TYPE your swapping out-to. (Mono, Co-Ply, Flouro, Braid)

I ALSO would appreciate if you would break it into TWO categories;

Spinning Reels
                    (THERE DEFINITLY ARE DIFFERENT CHALLENGES between the TWO)
Baitcast Reels

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL........DOING IT ALONE!  (no one holding opposite reel for you or a ONE man/woman operation)

Answer any or all portions of question.......some times the 'smallest' little tweak can make a HUGE difference......so don't think because you wouldn't be caught dead with a spinning reel in your hands ~shade.......you can't tell us how you deal with your Baitcasting Reels!  :)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteveTX

I'm no one to tell ways to do this as my way is horrible. Just picture the worst possible way to do this and that is me. So I'm watching this thread to learn something.

Thanks for a good topic.

Sandman7925

Tie the end of the line on the new spool on the other reel. On the reel that has the line I back the drag all the way down to where line can come off easily. Then just start reeling it in on the other reel. Might be wrong but that's how I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

Baitcasting Reels;

I take the reel I'm removing the line from and attach it to my Berkley Line Winder.  The reel I'm going to re-spool is attached to a fishing rod.  I run the line down through the guides etc and attach it to the reel.  I press on the spool release and start winding the line onto the other reel.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

I use an old broken rod to put the full spool on and set the drag tight enough to keep a bit of tension on the line, the empty reel goes on my Berekley spooling station, use copious amounts of line conditioner to help eliminate the line memory of mono and flouro. Same process for spinning but check every once in a while to make sure the line isn't twistin.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Donald Garner on January 20, 2018, 05:28:11 PM
Baitcasting Reels;

I take the reel I'm removing the line from and attach it to my Berkley Line Winder.  The reel I'm going to re-spool is attached to a fishing rod.  I run the line down through the guides etc and attach it to the reel.  I press on the spool release and start winding the line onto the other reel.

This is exactly the same as I do it for baitcasters except I also grip the rod just in front of the reel with my non-reeling hand and use the first finger and thumb to add additional tension to to the line to try and make sure the line goes on as tight as possible.

Spinning reels:

I keep the reels on both rods. For the reel that already has the line on it I put that rod in a rod rack. Then I pull out enough line to run through the guides of the second rod, open the bail and tie to the backing of the new reel and close the bail. Next I flip the bail open on the rod in the rack. Now, using the same grip just ahead of the reel as mentioned for baitcasters I slowly wind the line on checking for twist about every 10 turns or so of the handle.

In either case, baitcast or spinning I apply line conditioner to the spool of line before transfer to the new reel and then again afterwards.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire