Scottsboro Swimbaits by YUM

Started by Capt. BassinLou, April 11, 2023, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Up next on my Pradco bait reviews are the Scottsboro Swimbaits by Yum. These swimbaits are available in 4 lengths, 3" 3.5" 4" 4.5."  The one I fished with was 3.5" long.

Before last week, I honestly never heard of the Scottsboro Swimbait. Being a fan of swimbaits I was looking forward to giving these swimbaits a try on my home waters in the Everglades.

As I took the swimbait out of the packaging the first thing that jumped out at me was how soft these baits were. If you're familiar with Yamato Senko's, these swimbaits are almost as soft as those stick baits.

Two things were on the forefront of mind with these swimbaits being so soft. One, they should swim awesome! But, two, I don't think they were going to hold up well.

Well, I was right on both observations.

Since I fish a lot with small swimbaits, I have found that screw lock swim jig heads are the best at holding these baits on the hook compared to other jig head styles.

I rigged the Scottsboro swimbait on a 1/8 oz 2/0 screw lock swim jig head. The bait looked great in the water, it tracked well, and the tail kicked nicely. 

I managed to catch a couple of fish on one swimbait, before having to switch out to another one. The swimbait softness, is great for swimming in the water, but it couldn't stand the fish abuse. The bait tore easily. I tried to bite a piece of the head off and re-rig again, but it just didn't swim right after that. After my brief experience with this swimbait, I can understand why its used as a teaser on an A-rig.

Now the question becomes, will I continue using these swimbaits after I run out of them? And my answer is, I will need to fish with these swimbaits some more to determine if its worth the cost.

But if your looking for a very soft swimbait, that swims great in the water, then check out these Scottsboro Swimbaits.

Thank you for reading!!

Dink Dawg

I bought a pack last month but have not fished them yet. Mine are the 4.5 inch. I'll be running a Beast belly weight with screw lock.  Thanks for the info!

caddyjoe77

these were made famous in Scottsboro, AL.  Out of a tackle shop in Scottsboro called Scottsboro Tackle.  Been there a couple times, feelings were mixed.  Bought some just to support the local folks. 
BeerMe

loomisguy

The A rig that comes with those is a smokin' deal. They make a great swimbait and the heads are pretty good