Power Fluking?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, August 26, 2023, 10:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Power Fluking. Don't know if its a real thing or not. But I have been throwing this technique through out the summer. For those of you who follow my threads here on UB, or any of social media platforms, you guys know I'm not out to re-invent the wheel when it comes to bass fishing. I am however, on a constant journey refining my bass fishing skills.

Let me provide you when with some background, on why I call this technique power fluking. I primarily fish the swamps of the FL Everglades, it's a constantly changing eco-system, and we are currently dealing with a host of challenges. Heat, humidity, high water, and a lot of current. Lots and lots of current.

One or two of these challenges can make it for hard for bass fishing. But all of these challenges at once, makes bass fishing even harder!!

Current and high water, are the two main factors effecting our fishing right now. Yes, heat and humidity play a role, but those factors effect anglers more than the bass.

To keep this thread simple and short, over the course of the summer, I found that our bass on certain canal systems where water flow is really prevalent, set up in specific locations of structure and cover to get away from the current.

One of the best ways I have found to target and reach these bass, is by power fluking.

Basically, power fluking, is fishing a fluke on heavy gear and tackle. Reason being, lighter gear and tackle will not get the job done. Ask me how I know.  ;)

In a nut shell, I throw the fluke inside of dense cover, where the current breaks a bit, offering the bass sort of like a rest station.

The strikes are sudden and violent, and you need the right gear to pull the bass out of the cover. Thus I coined the technique power fluking.

I'm currently working on video where I specifically break down this technique, but I wanted to share with you guys what technique I was currently refining.

To wrap up, the gear I have been using are as follows: Rod- Dobyns Champion 735. Reel: SLX or Curado high speed reels. Line: 50lb Braid. Hooks: Super line EWG Owner or Gami Hooks.

Thanks for reading!!

Beagle

Smallie_Stalker

In your expert experience Lou what is different here than river fishing eddies and objects that create current breaks?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on August 26, 2023, 03:54:22 PMIn your expert experience Lou what is different here than river fishing eddies and objects that create current breaks?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
There's no difference. The idea is the same. Target locations that shield the bass from the current. In this case, I'm simply utilizing a fluke in dense cover and imitating a bait fish breaking out of cover or being swept in current. The bass comes out of their ambush spots and crushes the fluke.

Donald Garner

Lou tks for sharing this.  I never knew that technique was called Power Fluking :-\    I learn something NEW TODAY.   I've been fishing with Flukes since I began Bass Fishing.  That is one of my late Spring, Summer and early Fall techniques. I fish it in pretty much the same areas I do my Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Wake Baits and Shallow Diving Square Bill Crankbaits.

I use either a 7ft (MH) action casting rod > BPS Extreme with an ABU Garcia Black Max 6.4:1 baitcasting reel. The other rod I use is a Dobyn's Fury (FR 734C) 7ft 3in casting rod with an ABU Garcia REVO S 6.4:1 bait casting reel.  Both reels are spooled with Berkley Big Game 20lb Clear Mono.

If I'm fishing heavy cover grass / weeds around and through bushes it's Texas Rigged etc.  IF fishing it on OPEN WATER at Schooling fish I Texas Rig it and leave the hook exposed  ;)

You are right about the strikes being are sudden and violent.  If you're not paying attention they will snatch that rod right out of your hands  :'(  Been there and had it happened :surrender:   
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

YW Donald. I honestly don't know if power fluking is a thing, but if it isn't, it sounds cool! :)

Donald Garner

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 26, 2023, 06:13:13 PMYW Donald. I honestly don't know if power fluking is a thing, but if it isn't, it sounds cool! :)

Yep it does have a cool ring to it  ;)
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

apenland01

I love fishing a fluke, one of my primary techniques in the warmer months...

chrisD46

I think its a great technique (power fluking) - the Fluke is very versatile !

J.W.

Pretty cool, Lou. I usually throw the 5 inchers on spinning gear, but occasionally I will throw them on my Fury 734 and sometimes it's tough to get that fluke out there if it's weightless. Pitching it is not a problem though. The magnum flukes throw just fine, but they don't get as many bites for me. Do the Champ XPs have a little softer tip than the Fury, getting them out there easier, or are you mostly pitching into heavy cover with that setup?

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you sir. I don't have a problem throwing the Fluke  weightless on the Champion or Sierra's. 734 or 735's

J.W.

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 28, 2023, 11:49:48 AMThank you sir. I don't have a problem throwing the Fluke  weightless on the Champion or Sierra's. 734 or 735's

That makes it a lot easier horsing them out of the thick stuff, then. Maybe I'm being too picky about how far I can throw them on that 734. Casts are definitely shorter than on my lower power rods, but you have to get her out once you hook her, so maybe I ought to throw that setup more often in thick cover.

Oldfart9999

I do the same with a soft stick bait, works well. For some reason, just lazy I guess, I haven't really tried the flukes I have.
Rodney

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on August 28, 2023, 12:28:08 PM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 28, 2023, 11:49:48 AMThank you sir. I don't have a problem throwing the Fluke  weightless on the Champion or Sierra's. 734 or 735's

That makes it a lot easier horsing them out of the thick stuff, then. Maybe I'm being too picky about how far I can throw them on that 734. Casts are definitely shorter than on my lower power rods, but you have to get her out once you hook her, so maybe I ought to throw that setup more often in thick cover.
This isn't a long casting technique. It's a thick to medium cover, technique where one needs a strong rod with plenty of backbone to horse the bass out of those vegetation pockets.

J.W.

I see. I'll have to give this more time next time I try it. It is a lot tougher to get them out on the spinning gear, especially when there's two pounds of moss getting reeled in with the fish.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: J.W. on August 29, 2023, 07:56:06 AMI see. I'll have to give this more time next time I try it. It is a lot tougher to get them out on the spinning gear, especially when there's two pounds of moss getting reeled in with the fish.
Yeah, this technique will not work effectively with spinning gear. Unless it's a heavy spinning rod.

Larry Francis

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 29, 2023, 08:28:41 AM
Quote from: J.W. on August 29, 2023, 07:56:06 AMI see. I'll have to give this more time next time I try it. It is a lot tougher to get them out on the spinning gear, especially when there's two pounds of moss getting reeled in with the fish.
Yeah, this technique will not work effectively with spinning gear. Unless it's a heavy spinning rod.

I throw  a Fluke weightless on a MH Baitcast with 20 lb line in the heavy stuff shallow a lot. Works well and very effective.

I will say this: A Spinning Rod will give a dead drop straight down in the area thrown better that the Baitcaster will. If I am deeper that 5 ft I use spinning gear. A baitcaster will tend to pull it back towards you if the reel is engaged and will change the presentation. You can bow to it but I usually forget and then, well it's all not.

Good report Lou.
Molon Labe

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Larry Francis on August 29, 2023, 08:48:33 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on August 29, 2023, 08:28:41 AM

I throw  a Fluke weightless on a MH Baitcast with 20 lb line in the heavy stuff shallow a lot. Works well and very effective.

I will say this: A Spinning Rod will give a dead drop straight down in the area thrown better that the Baitcaster will. If I am deeper that 5 ft I use spinning gear. A baitcaster will tend to pull it back towards you if the reel is engaged and will change the presentation. You can bow to it but I usually forget and then, well it's all not.

Good report Lou.
Thanks Larry. I correct for that bow, by pulling out about a foot of line before I engage my baitcaster.

Capt. BassinLou

~sweat Whew! Finally wrapped editing this video. In case anyone is interested in watching it will be dropping tomorrow morning. Appreciate everyone's patience, many of you have been asking a lot of great questions, and I keep referring to this video, its finished, and as I mentioned, it will drop tomorrow.  ;)

Capt. BassinLou

Captsteve

Thanks Lou

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Donald Garner

Great job with the video   ;)   Tks for taking the time to put it together for us.

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks guys, appreciate you for watching.

hondo2doc

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on September 04, 2023, 02:59:29 AMHere's the video. Enjoy!

Great video....thanks

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou