2021 06 25 Nickajack TN River

Started by coldfront, June 25, 2021, 10:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

out on river at 6PM.  fished to 8:30PM.
Chickamauga was spilling at 31.5K cfs (upriver) and Nickajack was releasing at 29.5K cfs.  So water levels were steady to slight increase.  Moderate current.  Current breaks were there, but not 'hard' and current seams were pretty soft.
Air temps were in mid-low 80s.  Water temps was 82.6°FLight northerly breeze.  Partly cloudy.

Lots of summer recreational traffic.  Water skiiers, tubers and wake-surfers.  makes for rough/choppy water and shorelines were taking a pounding.  water varied from stained to turbid.  Most fish seemed to have pushed off shoreline and suspended out. 

got a few to fire on a popR when it was presented really tight to bank with a current break/point.  switched to weightless plastics and found fish a little more willing to bite.  Green pumpkin seemed to be the ticket.

Mike Cork

When I fished up in Missouri, Table Rock, Stockton, Beaver... ect... Rec traffic mud lines could be really effective if you found bait with it. Has that every played out for you on this one?

You are entered into the Dobyns Champion Series rod giveaway, post more reports for more entries
click here for giveaway rules

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

not yet mike.
the other side of that is the bait exists in two forms right now (from a baitfish perspective):  frye (shad, bluegill?) and those 3-4 inch 'snickers sized' bluegill.
when I find what appear to be pods of shad (threadfin) they're suspended, and in long daisy-chains.  suggesting to me they're not worried about predation.

great question and good prod to get me thinking

Mike Cork

When the bait isn't in tight balls it's not being chased... Summer schooling should be happening soon though.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

out last night for a few hours.  seein' if I could rustle up a fish 18" or better.  not to be.lots of little guys on a PopR...  fun, but frustrating to end the month under 100.
on to July today.
going to try and get out tomorrow for a full day.  some rain, light breezes and they are projecting to be spilling at 30-40K...  might be snapping.  if I can find them.