Maybe gonna try braid?

Started by Jw7054, April 02, 2015, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jw7054

So for my bait caster I might use braid. I know this has probably been covered 400 times but. Right now i have 12lb mono. If i went 15lb braid, which is only the size of 4lb mono, will that cause back lash more often? 

I was reading about braid about a year ago and they said you have to water proof it?  Has it come further than that or would i still have to get waterproofing oil stuff.

I know it sinks but is it gonna scare fish away?  I normally am fishing 2-5 feet deep and not the clearest waters but not carpy super muddy water either.

What are other pros and cons of braid vs mono.   

Pferox

The smallest I have used is 20lb, and if it isn't spooled on REAL TIGHTLY it will dig in to the spool, I am pretty sure the thinner 15lb would dig in worse.  As the diameter gets larger, the digging problem lessens.

When it digs in is usually when you get backlashes. 

I have never used any kind of waterproofing on Braid.  I have on Dacron, but that was years ago, last time I used Dacron I didn't oil it and it worked fine.

Based on my experience, I haven't run into the line causing any problems with scaring fish.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

TWilson

I went to 30lb Power Pro Super 8 Slick and it was the same size as 8lb I do believe(I've thrown the box away already). Haven't used it on the water yet, but pitching and whatnot in the yard and it does extremely well. As far as the waterproofing, no. I was spraying the line with the old(read cheap) bottle of cleaner for our HDS units and it wasn't staying on the line, just long enough to get the palomar tied.

LgMouthGambler

Don't worry about visibility and such. However, I would bump it up to at least 30#. If the braid is too thin it will dig into itself upon a hookset. Even 30# will do it, so just be cautious. No real need for coating braid. You can spray it with KVDs L&L if you want. Some say it helps with color fade.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Brocksdad1

Do fish know what fishing line is? Lol. Jk
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

Pferox

With as much fishing line on the bottom around here, they think is is just part of the swim.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

TheLastRodBender

The lightest braid I have is Power Pro Red 30lb test that I got on sale last year to act as back fill and a quantity marker for my spinning setup.  Haven't even thrown it yet, but I refuse to go smaller then that.  The lowest I'll go on my baitcasting setups will be 50.  Any reason to go thinner then that and I'd prefer to just use Flouro.  If you're used to throwing 12lb test mono, I'd recommend you get an equivalent, or larger, diameter braid because it is a completely different casting feel, especially on a baitcaster. 

Oldfart9999

Compared to mono and flouro braid is limp, very limp. I would do some practice pitching, flipping and casting with it before actually getting it wet. Braid will wind knot at times keep an eye out, also set your drag lighter, no stretch means instant hook set, and you don't need as much pressure for a hook set. I would try it, braid will help you catch more fish.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

By the way, braid floats.  I've used 15 on a baitcaster, and you have to keep it wrapped tight to the spool.  Why do you want to switch from Mono?  I've fished braid in gin clear water and it didn't make a difference

earldogg

I don't go below 40lb on a baitcaster, anything less and the line will dig into the spool, atleast for me. A few cast after you dig it out the line will break. Gl

Jw7054

Quote from: njpaulc on April 03, 2015, 10:27:17 AM
By the way, braid floats.  I've used 15 on a baitcaster, and you have to keep it wrapped tight to the spool.  Why do you want to switch from Mono?  I've fished braid in gin clear water and it didn't make a difference

It isnt i really wanna switch. Im fine with mono i just wanted to see what you guys said about braid. I dont wanna use anything above 15lb line though cuz i fine rivers 80% of the time and so im getting snagge. Im only running jigs and plastics normally and i make the jigs. I dont wanna pull in every stick i hook and i wanna be able to break the line of if it isnt movin i dont have to cut it and leave a big trail end that im gonna hook on every cast. So im probably just gonna stick with mono.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 06:01:25 PM
It isnt i really wanna switch. Im fine with mono i just wanted to see what you guys said about braid. I dont wanna use anything above 15lb line though cuz i fine rivers 80% of the time and so im getting snagge. Im only running jigs and plastics normally and i make the jigs. I dont wanna pull in every stick i hook and i wanna be able to break the line of if it isnt movin i dont have to cut it and leave a big trail end that im gonna hook on every cast. So im probably just gonna stick with mono.

This is one reason why I don't have braid on my smaller rods.   I do a lot of river smallie fishing, and when you're in a canoe casting at eddies, you have be able to sacrifice the lure instead of putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Jw7054

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on April 03, 2015, 07:31:53 PM

This is one reason why I don't have braid on my smaller rods.   I do a lot of river smallie fishing, and when you're in a canoe casting at eddies, you have be able to sacrifice the lure instead of putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

Yah. I mean i dont canoe but really im not catching 20lb fish. And if i do im jut fight it for a damn long time lol. Im normally catching 2-4 pound fish so yah.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 07:34:16 PM
Yah. I mean i dont canoe but really im not catching 20lb fish. And if i do im jut fight it for a damn long time lol. Im normally catching 2-4 pound fish so yah.

Yeah same here... when I'm fishing on the river.  Strength is not the only benefit to braid.  I used braid on most other bodies of water that I fish.  It absolutely has its benefits, when used properly.  I will use braid when I'm wading, because in the event of a snag, I can retrieve it without cutting 20 feet of line off and leaving it to float in the river and never break down.

On a river system, it can be especially useful because of the lack of stretch.  In current, setting the hook is more difficult considering there is constant motion, allowing for bows or slack line.  Braid can help increase the strength of a hookset.

In addition to that is the sensitivity.  Braid will translate bites a lot better then Mono will.  It will also help you be able to analyze what the bottom is like.  In a rocky bottom like most river systems, being able to decipher the difference between a rock and a soft bite is critical at times. 

Jw7054

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on April 03, 2015, 08:07:26 PM
Yeah same here... when I'm fishing on the river.  Strength is not the only benefit to braid.  I used braid on most other bodies of water that I fish.  It absolutely has its benefits, when used properly.  I will use braid when I'm wading, because in the event of a snag, I can retrieve it without cutting 20 feet of line off and leaving it to float in the river and never break down.

On a river system, it can be especially useful because of the lack of stretch.  In current, setting the hook is more difficult considering there is constant motion, allowing for bows or slack line.  Braid can help increase the strength of a hookset.

In addition to that is the sensitivity.  Braid will translate bites a lot better then Mono will.  It will also help you be able to analyze what the bottom is like.  In a rocky bottom like most river systems, being able to decipher the difference between a rock and a soft bite is critical at times.

Yah better hook set ect. But i am fishing through heavy coverage. Mainly sticks and trees. 15lb wont work well so that means i have to get bigger line. Probably 30lb or bigger. I dont think im gonna break 30lb braid. Which means a log cut off tail end.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 08:23:43 PM

Yah better hook set ect. But i am fishing through heavy coverage. Mainly sticks and trees. 15lb wont work well so that means i have to get bigger line. Probably 30lb or bigger. I dont think im gonna break 30lb braid. Which means a log cut off tail end.

Very true, if you're in a situation that you cannot get to where it's snagged to get it loose.... which is a balance you will need to find.  If you want to try braid, you can also consider a flouro leader.  3 - 4 feet of flourocarbon at the end of the line tied to the bait.  This will give you the ability to break off if need be. 

Pferox

I fish a couple snaggy places with 20 to 40 lb braid, I just tie on a lighter leader, that is what breaks almost all of the time, weakest link, ya know.  It doesn't have to be very long, and then you can actually adjust the line to the situation / lure.

A foot or three of say 12lb test mono as an example, doesn't hurt the sensitivity much, and is sacrificial.

Jw7054

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on April 03, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
Very true, if you're in a situation that you cannot get to where it's snagged to get it loose.... which is a balance you will need to find.  If you want to try braid, you can also consider a flouro leader.  3 - 4 feet of flourocarbon at the end of the line tied to the bait.  This will give you the ability to break off if need be.

Hmm a flouro leader. Never used flouro either. Lol. But i like the idea. So how would you attach the flouro/mono maybe? Leader. Tie a swivel between the flouro and braid?   

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 08:29:02 PM
Hmm a flouro leader. Never used flouro either. Lol. But i like the idea. So how would you attach the flouro/mono maybe? Leader. Tie a swivel between the flouro and braid?

PERSONALLY I'll use a 'double uni-knot'.  If you were to use a swivel, it REALLY restricts the length of the leader since you cant / dont want to real the swivel up through the top eye of the rod.  A double uni knot will allow a much smaller junction and allow for less of a hindrance as you make casts.  If you are going to do this, make sure you have a mono/flouro leader that is of equal, or very similar, diameter, as it will be stronger.

Jw7054

Quote from: TheLastRodBender on April 03, 2015, 08:32:37 PM

PERSONALLY I'll use a 'double uni-knot'.  If you were to use a swivel, it REALLY restricts the length of the leader since you cant / dont want to real the swivel up through the top eye of the rod.  A double uni knot will allow a much smaller junction and allow for less of a hindrance as you make casts.  If you are going to do this, make sure you have a mono/flouro leader that is of equal, or very similar, diameter, as it will be stronger.

Ok. Didnt think about not being able to real a swivel through lol. Hmm. What brand braid?

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 08:34:21 PM
Ok. Didnt think about not being able to real a swivel through lol. Hmm. What brand braid?

All I use is Power Pro.... moss green.

TWilson

In the rare case I use a leader, I just go with a standard improved clinch on both ends. I have yet to break off at said knot. I have, however, broken off at the lure many times. But remember, fluoro sinks, mono....not as much. With the stiffness I've gotten with every fluoro I've tried, I'd go with mono. Sunline Super Natural or P Line CX Clear Blue/Fluorescent are my two.

Pferox

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 03, 2015, 08:29:02 PM

That is one way, the other is a direct connection using a number of the knots for that reason.  Some of them are the Albright Special, Alberto Knot, Slim Beauty, Blood Knot, and Double Uni Knot.

If tying one of these knots, don't let them travel through the level wind.  That will damage almost any knot, and over time will damage the metal guide system on the level wind.  For leaders make it about a rod's length or less.  Spinning gear, isn't as critical.

I suggest you only use a double uni knot on a splice that is going to be deep in the spool, that knot is constantly tightening, and the braid creates a sawing action on the mono or fluoro which in turn eventually cuts the knot through itself.

When you are spooling the braid on, either tie on a length of mono (couple feet) to the reel, then tie the braid to the mono and spool on.  This is a good place for the double uni knot.  Or put a layer of black electrical tape or similar product on the spool then tie the braid directly to the reel.

Without this, or a braid band, the braid will slip, making it look like your drag isn't working.

One last thing I do when dealing with heavier braids, I make that mono backing hunk of much lighter line, like maybe 10 to 15 lb, depending on the reel and main line.  This way if you get maxed spooled for some reason in a no win situation, the link will pop.  Breaking very heavy lines at the reel can have catastrophic effects on it, and this weak link can be a life / gear saver.

TheLastRodBender

Pferox, you just blew my mind lol.  I hadn't even considered these things and it makes total sense.

Jw7054

Quote from: Pferox on April 03, 2015, 08:51:38 PM

One last thing I do when dealing with heavier braids, I make that mono backing hunk of much lighter line, like maybe 10 to 15 lb, depending on the reel and main line.  This way if you get maxed spooled for some reason in a no win situation, the link will pop.  Breaking very heavy lines at the reel can have catastrophic effects on it, and this weak link can be a life / gear saver.

Ok i understood till here. Are you just restating you start will a layer of mono then tie to braid??  I dont understand what you mean by mono backing hunk?