How Did Your Favorite Fluorocarbon Do?

Started by FlatsNBay, March 11, 2023, 03:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Check out this interesting YouTube video about an in-depth test of 29 different fluorocarbon lines. How did your favorite line rate in his results?

big g

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FlatsNBay

I was really surprised at the results. Some of the lines that I've had horrible experience with scored high and some of the lines that I like, scored low to the middle of the pack. I don't know how his tests are comparable to on the water experience with setting the hook and fighting fish. I may though test the #1 scoring line to see how I like it.

big g

Since I use Floro a lot I will try his winner.  But I use 15lb test, not 20lb.  Still worth a try.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

J.W.

Ran across that video last night. I don't use a lot of fluorocarbon, but I do sometimes tie it on as a leader when I feel like the water is super clear. I usually buy the Strike King Tour Grade. Honestly, I don't recall ever even seeing that Spro line on the shelves, but then again, I usually just look for my usual lines and don't pay attention to what else is there.

BassmanRudy

Great video!! Kudos to that guy. I've never had any of those lines rated highest at all. Used most of the ones rated lowest though. I'm going to try some of the better stuff and see what I've been missing now!

The stretch test was eye opening. I believed the "almost no stretch" marketing and wellp that was WRONG!

Attached a screen shot of the overall results.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

big g

I went to BPS trying to find the winner, they have none.  Love floro for plastics.  Much more sensitive than mono, and better hook sets.  Been using it for ten years.

Pat Dilling

Tacklewarehouse lists it, but out of stock.  Due in April 15
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: BassmanRudy on March 12, 2023, 01:27:05 AM
Great video!! Kudos to that guy. I've never had any of those lines rated highest at all. Used most of the ones rated lowest though. I'm going to try some of the better stuff and see what I've been missing now!

The stretch test was eye opening. I believed the "almost no stretch" marketing and wellp that was WRONG!

Attached a screen shot of the overall results.
The worse part about the stretch factor is that when flouro stretches it stays streched. It doesn't bounce back like mono does.

Flouro being invisible under water is also another myth. That's why several companies make low-viz flouro.

Either way I don't use the stuff anymore but I'd be willing to try the Spro brand just to see what it's like.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

I'm just not totally sold on this test. The lines that I thought were junk scored high on the list. I'm thinking that as good as he tried, you can't duplicate a true test on the water fishing. It was interesting though to say the least.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

apenland01

I didn't take the time to watch the video, but I have complete confidence in my Sniper and K9 fluoro lines.  No need to go messing with stuff that isn't broken lol...

coldfront

Quote from: apenland01 on March 15, 2023, 10:13:33 AM
I didn't take the time to watch the video, but I have complete confidence in my Sniper and K9 fluoro lines.  No need to go messing with stuff that isn't broken lol...
was just chuckling... yessir, I am hopelessly (and happily, successfully) using a 'middle of the pack' flouro!  oh the shame...
~roflmao

and to rub salt in my wounds, am also using a 'non-preferred' braided line too!

acesover

I put Seaguar Red Label on a reel, worst line I ever used.

skidemn

While I applaud the work Tyler did, I had several issues with how he did things, like giving equal points to categories that should be of higher importance than most others. Berkley Vanish for example had the second worst diameter for its weight, yet scored well overall because it also had a high breaking strength. That is very misleading when I'm trying to get bit, because sure the 6lb Berkley Vanish may break like a 10lb line, but it's also almost the same exact diameter as 10lb Sunline Sniper FC, so you're not fishing 6lb, you're fishing 10lb! It doesn't matter how strong it is if you can't get bit because you're fishing 10lb when they want 6lb!

I also took issue with the abrasion test because the abrasive material he used is not uniform, so it will have a different level of roughness depending where the line is placed. Different line will get a different amount of abrasion. An average level of abrasion doesn't work when one line or one track of test area consistently gets a bigger or sharper piece of silicon carbide than the rest.

I have yet another issue with the chosen line diameter. I think 20lb line is less important than finesse sizes because you can make more mistakes or deal with more line variations fishing a jig, spinnerbait, etc. on 20lb test than you can fishing a dropshot on 7lb. Most lines have a different strength to diameter as it increases or decreases since the formulas and diameters are balanced for their line size. For example, a 20lb line may have a +20% rating per his test, but the same brand in 8lb may be +5% since it isn't linear. He'd have to test every line weight or at least several weights to see a real pattern of accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big g

I have used Trilene professional grade floro for ten years and have loved the stuff, with few problems, good abrasion resistance, and excellent castability.  Mine did not do real well in his test and came out bottom half.  I will try the winner if I can find it, and try another mentioned in the comments, but would also go back to old faithful without hesitation.  I also only use 15 P/T.  A large number of pros use the stuff for certain baits, but they probably don't have to pay for it either.  Big bucks for what you get!