I was lost but now I am found

Started by Masterbasser45, July 24, 2022, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterbasser45

I've tried several rods brands in the past few years ranging from 99 to 300 dollars. Three years ago I bought a number of Dobyn rods. As time went by I keep seeing reviews and comments about other rod companies and how the Dobyns are heavy and not sensitive. I'm here to say that after trying out several St. croix, bass pro shop, Abu Garcia, Falcon, 13 fishing, Ark, and numerous others Dobyns is overall better. The build, balance, and how crisp they are in my opinion are on another level.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for sharing your experience. Dobyns are top notch rods. Happy to hear your enjoying yours.

NavyToad

I own 8 Dobyns rods - 1 Sierra, 2 Kadens, 5 Champion XPs. Love them all.
30% military discount is great and shows REAL support for our military.
Thanks Gary.
Retired Navy.
Professional muddler.

Smallie_Stalker

I went all in on Dobyns 3 years ago and I have been very happy. I own a dozen now from Furys right up through Xtasys. IMO they all fish well above their price point. The balance is outstanding, the build quality is top notch and they have the best warranty in the industry along with the best customer service of any rod company that I have ever dealt with.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

Nothing but Dobyns in my lockers. It's funny how one leads to two, then three, then twelve.  ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on July 24, 2022, 02:54:05 PM
I went all in on Dobyns 3 years ago and I have been very happy. I own a dozen now from Furys right up through Xtasys. IMO they all fish well above their price point. The balance is outstanding, the build quality is top notch and they have the best warranty in the industry along with the best customer service of any rod company that I have ever dealt with.

I could not agree more. I gave others a fair shot, but the overall build imo is better. I have three champion XP's and I'm looking to add a few more in the winter. I have four sierras, Four Fury's, and one Maverick (cranking rod).
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

loomisguy

Nothing against Dobyns, but it really depends on what model and price points you are comparing .
What model Falcon and St. Croix were you comparing to what model Dobyns ?

Masterbasser45

Quote from: loomisguy on July 25, 2022, 04:40:52 AM
Nothing against Dobyns, but it really depends on what model and price points you are comparing .

Fury vs Bass x

Champion vs Cara

Sierra vs Mojo

Maverick vs TP1 lews, Duckett Silverado, Ark Cobb series.

Thats just to name a few. What do you prefer?

These were mostly all MH fast action rods with a few heavy sprinkled in.

"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Dink Dawg

I choose not to get caught up in the A v. Z conversations. If you know what you like and why you like it, and it feels right you're good to go.  Factor the other intangibles that you look for and you might even become a return customer. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Dink Dawg on July 25, 2022, 09:53:34 PM
I choose not to get caught up in the A v. Z conversations. If you know what you like and why you like it, and it feels right you're good to go.  Factor the other intangibles that you look for and you might even become a return customer.

^^^ This ^^^

loomisguy

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on July 25, 2022, 07:07:49 PM
Quote from: loomisguy on July 25, 2022, 04:40:52 AM

I fish mostly Falcon these days along with G Loomis, Virtus and Powell. Like I said ,nothing against Dobyns at all. I've fished them and even won a couple bucks with them. 
Sometimes I think folks try a little too hard to earn their discounts. That's just my opinion.
Fury vs Bass x

Champion vs Cara

Sierra vs Mojo

Maverick vs TP1 lews, Duckett Silverado, Ark Cobb series.

Thats just to name a few. What do you prefer?

These were mostly all MH fast action rods with a few heavy sprinkled in.

BassmanRudy

I think it was a fair question by Loomis. I've fished everything from Pro Comps at Bass Pro to Daiwa Steez and it comes down to what "you" like. But if you asked me how the Steez fishes compared to the Pro Comp well it's not even close!

Ex- I have a Dobyns Champion XP 734c sitting next to a St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'1" MH and both are rigged for flipping 3/8oz. What rod do I tend to pick up most of the time? The 734c. Just something about how it "feels". Both are great tools and get used a Ton and if I break off I don't miss a beat going to the other rod.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Masterbasser45

Quote from: BassmanRudy on July 26, 2022, 12:22:22 PM
I think it was a fair question by Loomis. I've fished everything from Pro Comps at Bass Pro to Daiwa Steez and it comes down to what "you" like. But if you asked me how the Steez fishes compared to the Pro Comp well it's not even close!

Ex- I have a Dobyns Champion XP 734c sitting next to a St. Croix Legend Tournament 7'1" MH and both are rigged for flipping 3/8oz. What rod do I tend to pick up most of the time? The 734c. Just something about how it "feels". Both are great tools and get used a Ton and if I break off I don't miss a beat going to the other rod.

Im thinking about picking up a 734 champion myself. I have a 734 Sierra but I think the Champion has a faster tip action.
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

fish_taco

Sorry to post on an old topic but I just wanted to +1 this.

As soon as I picked up my first Dobyns (DC734C) I've wanted to try them all. The balance is unmatched and the weight and sensitivity are great for the price point.

I recently had the opportunity to buy an NRX+ and grabbed an 843 MBR. I assumed it would be the end all be all versatile rod. It sure was light and the most sensitive rod I've experienced so far, but it was no way close to the perfect balance I was used to with my DC703C and even the longer DC734C. I often went back to my 734 as it worked so much better for me for the same baits. I sold off that NRX+ and going to stick to Dobyns. Extreme HP and Xtasy are now in my crosshairs.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fish_taco on September 05, 2023, 11:11:33 AMSorry to post on an old topic but I just wanted to +1 this.

As soon as I picked up my first Dobyns (DC734C) I've wanted to try them all. The balance is unmatched and the weight and sensitivity are great for the price point.

I recently had the opportunity to buy an NRX+ and grabbed an 843 MBR. I assumed it would be the end all be all versatile rod. It sure was light and the most sensitive rod I've experienced so far, but it was no way close to the perfect balance I was used to with my DC703C and even the longer DC734C. I often went back to my 734 as it worked so much better for me for the same baits. I sold off that NRX+ and going to stick to Dobyns. Extreme HP and Xtasy are now in my crosshairs.
When you step up to the DX and DRX you are going to have a hard time going back to anything else as far as sensitivity goes.

That's not to say anything bad about any of the Dobyns series of rods, they are all super well balanced, and they all fish above their price points IMHO.

For moving baits and topwater you don't need that level of exyra sensitivity but when you do need it the DX or DRX really shine!

Keep us posted on your future purchases and let us know your thoughts as you put them through their paces.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

fish_taco

Gonna grab a DX743C soon, and maybe a DX742SF.

I am still up in the air about Dobyns spinning rods. I had an Expride B and that guy set the bar so far. Sold that too because I don't like foregrips on spinning rods. I like to feel the blank.

skidemn

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 05, 2023, 11:41:42 AMWhen you step up to the DX and DRX you are going to have a hard time going back to anything else as far as sensitivity goes.

That's not to say anything bad about any of the Dobyns series of rods, they are all super well balanced, and they all fish above their price points IMHO.

For moving baits and topwater you don't need that level of exyra sensitivity but when you do need it the DX or DRX really shine!

When my DRX744C ships tomorrow, it will be my first Xtasy model, and the 21st overall Dobyn's Rod I've bought in the last two years. My Dobyn's journey started a little over two years ago when my buddy let me try out his DC732SF, and I fell in love. My budget wasn't quite there at the time, so I bought a Fury FR702SF and before I knew it, the damn thing multiplied into three Fury models. The first Kaden came next (KD712SF which I'm convinced is the best dropshot rod for the money) and then the Champions started. It's dangerous to leave Dobyn's rods unattended, because like rabbits, they breed rapidly!

Last season I got my first DX rod, the DX742SF, and it was then I found out that fish fart, because I could feel it! In all seriousness though, I became a better finesse fisherman overnight because I could feel the difference in each kind of cover and bottom composition, and even feel the muted tap of a slack line bite in many cases. I sold my last two Loomis rods, a GCX and an IMX, and used the proceeds to buy the DX744C, which is simply amazing.

I've been slowing upgrading my Fury models where appropriate, as I've come to like the weight savings in the Champion line for moving baits, and I've been completely spoiled by the DX rods for bottom contact. This became incredibly apparent at a recent night tournament where feel is all you have to work with. I had been getting bit well on my DX742SF fishing a shaky head worm, but kept breaking fish off on 7lb fluoro in the quagga muscle covered trees. Instead of changing leader I just grabbed my SAM723SF with 10lb that I normally use for tossing weightless Senkos and weightless Skinny Dippers, but even after switching from lead to a heavier tungsten shaky head, I still couldn't feel the bottom anywhere close to as well as with the DX742SF. I'm now going to be adding either a DX703SF or DRX723SF, because as you pointed out, it's really hard to fish something else after using the DX series!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobious

i would get a DX744, but i just bought a competetors rig, and seem to have gone in that direction for the most part. 

but my good friend is a veteran and takes advantage of the generous savings.  he will order the 744 this week.  we have heard good things.

skidemn

Quote from: Hobious on September 06, 2023, 11:53:02 AMi would get a DX744, but i just bought a competetors rig, and seem to have gone in that direction for the most part. 

but my good friend is a veteran and takes advantage of the generous savings.  he will order the 744 this week.  we have heard good things.
They do offer a helluva discount, but even without the discount, the DX744C is worth every penny. Your friend is gonna love it!

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: skidemn on September 06, 2023, 10:01:35 PM
Quote from: Hobious on September 06, 2023, 11:53:02 AMi would get a DX744, but i just bought a competetors rig, and seem to have gone in that direction for the most part. 

They do offer a helluva discount, but even without the discount, the DX744C is worth every penny. Your friend is gonna love it!

X2

Captsteve

I love my Dobyn's rods and will be adding to my arsenal after the upgrades to boat are finished.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Masterbasser45

Quote from: Captsteve on September 07, 2023, 06:02:25 PMI love my Dobyn's rods and will be adding to my arsenal after the upgrades to boat are finished.

What series of Dobyn rods are you going to add?
"Don't be a dumb Bass"

Captsteve

Quote from: Masterbasser45 on September 12, 2023, 11:15:02 PM
Quote from: Captsteve on September 07, 2023, 06:02:25 PMI love my Dobyn's rods and will be adding to my arsenal after the upgrades to boat are finished.

What series of Dobyn rods are you going to add?
SIERRA

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Captsteve

I want a skipping rod for 1/2 oz. Jig. Sierra rod. Any suggestions?

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Captsteve on September 13, 2023, 12:20:26 AMI want a skipping rod for 1/2 oz. Jig. Sierra rod. Any suggestions?

Sierra 734C

1/2 oz. is dead center in this rod's wheelhouse.

Captsteve

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 13, 2023, 07:38:28 AM
Quote from: Captsteve on September 13, 2023, 12:20:26 AMI want a skipping rod for 1/2 oz. Jig. Sierra rod. Any suggestions?

Sierra 734C

1/2 oz. is dead center in this rod's wheelhouse.

Thanks

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Eric-Maine

A 4 power rod with Lews skipping reel. I thought I was a good skipper before; much improved now.

https://www.landbigfish.com/Lews/Pro-SP-SLP-Casting-Series

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk