Has a bad cast ever saved your outing?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, March 02, 2024, 09:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Bad casts have saved my outings plenty of times!! Bad casts have helped me  figure out patterns that I otherwise wouldn't have tried.

Bass, ever blow up on your bait during a bad cast, retrieve? 

Or you get a wind knot or backlash, and then catch a bass after you're done picking it out?

These are all clues. ;)

J.W.

My son caught his PB on a bad cast. He was burning the lure back in so he could cast again and a 7.94 post-spawner slammed it.

Donald Garner

I caught my PB an 8.33lb largemouth on a bad cast at Lake Sam Rayburn during a Big Bass Splash Tournament  ~shade

I was cleaning up a back lash (Professional Over Run) when the line just felt heavy.  My partner netted the fish for me.
We finished in 19th place with that one fish.  This was one of those tournaments where you weigh in your biggest catch of the day.  The event has hourly weigh in through out the day.

My PB 8.33lb largemouth Lake Sam Rayburn
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

More than once. One in particular that I will never forget was during a particularly tough club tournament.

It was early morning and the topwater bite was on. I was fishing a popper and not having much luck with it and out of frustration I just hurled it out there. Instant backlash.

I set the rod down on the deck with the popper still in the water and picked up a buzz bait rod. No luck.

After about 10 minutes of that I decided to take a break for a few minutes and pick out the backlash from the popper rod while rethinking my game plan.

AS SOON as I bent down and just touched the popper rod - didn't even pick it up just grabbed the handle, the tail feathers twitched and a nice solid 3 pounder inhaled it.

I hand- lined that fish in because of the backlash and dropped it in the livewell.

The rest of that morning I threw that popper, walked it a few feet, popped it once and then just let it sit as long as I could stand it. Then I just gently shook the rod. I caught 3 more decent fish this way.

Those were the only 4 fish I caught that day but the 11+ pounds was enough to cash a 3rd place check.

Definitely saved my day!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

That's a cool story, Jim. Thank you for sharing!

big g

Several times over the years I have caught nice bass while picking out a bird nest.  One time recently it was stationary for at least 5 minutes and felt the bite before the bird nest was picked out.  I reeled it in with the nest still in place.  That's a pretty good indication I have been fishing too fast. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

FlatsNBay

Bad cast success has happened to me a bunch over the years. My favorite is when you cast your line over a tree and a bass blows up on your bait. Reel the bass up in the air and over the tree!  ~roflmao

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 02, 2024, 06:23:46 PMBad cast success has happened to me a bunch over the years. My favorite is when you cast your line over a tree and a bass blows up on your bait. Reel the bass up in the air and over the tree!  ~roflmao
Casting over a tree limb or grab rail on a metal dock is a valid presentation Yo-yoing the bait up until it hits the object and then letting it fall back some. I had someone show me this back in the late 80's.

When Bo was still with us he did a video on this with his great jigs. It's a great vertical presentation.

I do admit the accidental ones can be pretty funny though.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

on a backlash all the time.  the lesson usually is for me to dead stick it and not move it so much.

bad non accurate casts?  not so much.