Sometimes, a picture says it all

Started by Eric-Maine, July 18, 2023, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric-Maine

Very wet day one of the SQT. 4 " of rain, horizontal at times. I had practiced and eliminated all the baits I would normally use except for a spinnerbait. I had 2 gold willowleafs new in the package. Fish were on it. I should have left all the rest of my rods in the locker. Not wanting to have my locker open, I took out a bunch early while under a bridge.  Sometime early on in the day, my drop shot rod with the bait dangling drug 2 others( a guess) out of the boat. 3 in the river. Deep stained water, lots of current, and not sure exactly where. I'm pretty sure of the 200-yard stretch, though it was an hour or so before I knew they were gone. Needless to say it weighed on my mind.
To make a long story shorter. I weighed in 10.55 lbs 4 lbs off the lead. Lots of missed chances to have a contender bag.
Long wet discouraged ride home.

I will have to try fishing for rods if the rain ever stops.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Man that's a tough hit... I dropped a $900 set up in the lake the other day and ran to my truck to get a magnet... Guess what... nothing on that set up will hold to a magnet  ~xyz

I did get very lucking with a giant treble hook and a weight. About 500 casts into it I finally started catching something. The rod was laying directly at the position of the boat so I'd snag it and then it would fall off... Finally got the tip up to where I could grab it...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Wow. It's bad enough to lose 1 combo over the side let alone 3.  Kudos for hanging in there afterwards. I probably would have just given up and gone home at that point.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

big g

Mike you were very lucky.  I have been in that same situation on Okeechobee.  First thing is to mark the location.  Old school, I did it with tinfoil around some stems close bye.  Came back with a big gaff on a rope the next day.  One hundred attempts later, I gave the lake an old school Shimano and rod.  Thought about diving in, but we were in gator country.  Loved that reel!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

apenland01

Oldfart9999

I've lost several over the side, one permanently, I carry an old trout/salmon snagging hook now. Everyone I lost from slipping out of hand so I know where it, I line up the bow of the boat perpendicular to the road and cast past where the rod is, drag the snagging hook slowly and normally don't have to make  more than 3 casts. lining up they way I do means I have the length of of the outfit as a target, pulled up outfits for friends doing it also, all they have to do is tell me where and how they were facing.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Eric-Maine

Quote from: apenland01 on July 19, 2023, 06:38:58 PM@Eric-Maine is that a Ghost remote around your neck?
Power poles

Eric-Maine

Dragged this around for an hour or so yesterday. Water is a full pool and ripping pretty good still. Hoped to find them shallow on downstream weed beds or rocks. Caught one bass, 3 clams.....no rods. My wife and I both watching structure scan. No poles. When they turn up it will make somebody's day. Hopefully, before they are ruined.
I'm still bummed about the lost fish. It would be an easier pill to swallow in the lead, lol

Hobious

I don't understand the photo.  This is about lost overboard rods?

Sorry for the loss.  I'd rather break them, than lose them.